What makes a pro kit?

Bumwrap?? What the heck is that .. Lol!
In any case, here is one list from the web that categorizes different types of kits.. not sure if it's based off the other one I'd seen several years ago but it's just a guideline.. probably missing several other kits as well:

"There are 5 quality levels:

Sub-entry Level ($150-$400)
Sub-entry level kits include everything you need to get going - standard 5-piece kit, cymbals, and hardware. Of course, everything you get is extremely cheap and low-quality. These sets almost always are sold complete. These sets are best for kids under the age of 10 who have no idea if drums are there thing. Non-lacquer finish.
Acclaim
Adam
Bestler
CB
Coda
Groove Percusion
Pearl Soundcheck
Pacific EZ
Titan

Entry Level ($350-$600)
Entry level kits usually included everything you need to get going although some are sold in shell packs. With an entry-level kit, you get acceptable hardware and drums. Cymbals are usually brass and nothing too special. These work well for ages 10-15. Some are even gig-able with new heads and good tuning (and upgraded cymbals). Non-laquer finish.

Gretsch BlackHawk
Ludwig Accent Combo
Ludwig Accent
Mapex V
Pacific EX
Pearl Forum (wood snare)
Pearl Rythem Traveler
Premier Cabria Lite
Pulse Pro
Sunlite Velocity
Sonor 503
Tama Swingstar
Taye Spotlight
Yamaha Rydeen (formerly YD)
Westbury

Student Level A($500-800)
Student level A kits usually are drums and hardware only. Some companies will sell shell packs. Rarely, if ever, will they be sold with cymbals. Student Level kits are the most widely sold kits and are acceptable to any age range. Student Level kits give you the most bang for your buck. These are definitely gig-able. Non-lacquer finish.

Gretsch Catalina Club
Ludwig Rocker
Mapex M
Pacific by DW FS, MX, CX, LX
Pearl Export
Premier Cabria
Sonor Force
Sunlite Velocity
Tama Rockstar(discontinued)
Tama Superstar
Taye Rock Pro
Yamaha Stage Custom Standard

Student Level B($650-$1000)
Student level B kits include everything above, along with a couple upgrades such as a wooden snare, and lacquer finish. Some companies offer more.

Ludwig Rocker Elite
Mapex Pro M
Pearl Export Select
Premier Cabria Lacquer
Sunlite Prochallenge
Sonor Force
Tama Rockstar Custom(discontinued)
Tama Superstar Custom
Taye ProX
Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage

Semi-Pro Level ($800-$1600)
Semi-pro kits are the in-between for student pro's. They include of a mix of features between each.

Gretsch Catalina Birch
Ludwig Rocker Pro
Mapex Saturn
Pearl Session (SRX)
Premier Artist
Sonor S Class
Sunlite Top Gun
Taye TourPro
Yamaha Oak Custom

Pro Level ($1500 and up)
Top-of-the line manufactured drums. Lacquer finished, choice of whatever snare you want (brass, wood, etc.
Ayotte Pro
Ayotte Keplinger II
Conaway
Gretsch Renown
Gretsch USA
Ludwig Classic Birch
Ludwig Classic Maple
Mapex Orion
Mapex Saturn Pro
Pearl Masters
Pork Pie
Premier Premier
Sonor Delight
Sunlight Studio
Tama Starclassic Maple
Tama Starclassic Performer (Birch)
Tama Starclassic Performer EFX (Birch)
Taye StudioMaple
Yamaha Absolute Series
Yamaha Maple Custom
Yamaha Recording Custom

Pro-Level Custom Kits ($1600 and up, waaaaaay UP)
Ayotte Custom
Drum Solo
DW Brand
Gretsch Signature
Mapex Orion
Noble & Cooley
OCDP
Pearl Masterworks
Sonor Designer
Spaun

Companies by Country:
America:
Drum Workshop (DW)
Gretsch
Groove Percussion
Ludwig
Mapex
Sunlite

Great Britain:
Premier

Japan:
Pearl
Tama
Yamaha

Taiwan:
Taye

Germany:
Sonor

Canada:
Ayotte

Australia:
Brady
mrAonghus

True - the other end of the conversation is that a pro kit has to survive its living conditions. I've set stuff up in the damp cold and then when the stage lights up its becomes a hundred degrees. Then it has to sound good, then gets packed away to travel to the next stage. This is why some pros touring sets age so quickly. It has to be able to survive other people setting it up and movng it, and who's that careful? Things get dropped and dinged out on the road. So that's also a big consideration in what makes a kit "pro". How much abuse can it survive?

No way a Pearl Export would survive a cross-country tour. But a Reference Pure definitely would. These are kits in that 2 to 4k range.

I tend to agree too its the drummer-a pro can take anything and make it sing. But you can really tell the difference in cheap and high end snares and cymbals, the toms and kick not as much. The inexpensive kits tend to have less range it seems to me. You know it's a "pro kit" when you have to take out a loan and sale a body organ (a kidney will do) on the black market to pay for it. That's my criteria.

Big difference between a professional kit and a professional's kit. The two are not always one and the same. I agree with most posts about what makes a pro kit (choice hardwoods, quality hardware, etc.). One thing to add is consistency. Are the builder's quality control and manufacturing processes going to ensure a top-notch drum each and every time? Pro drums will have fewer lemons.

Well, one of the main reasons to by pro series drums is drum size selection. You get a Sonor Bop kit ..... that's a 18x16, 12x8, 14x14. You want a 18x14, or an 18x12 kick ..... then you gotta shop for somebody else. The Hayman Big Sound, that's a 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 16x16. Need a 22x14, a 12x8 and a 13x9 ...... sorry, no can do. Not to say that all pro series offer every size combo possible, but most give you at least a bigger selection that a single size combo.​

Thats something that bothers me. I have so many gigs that its allowed me to rent a studio to stay and fund me and my fiance entirely on its own, but il NEVER consider myself a pro drummer, just lucky. When people say "pro is down to if you make money out of it to make a living" i go "no, i am in that boat and im not pro".

You are pro, then.

If a guy lays bricks in his own back garden at the weekend, free, he is a DIY er. If a guy gets paid for laying bricks, as his day job, he is a pro, a bricklayer. Same thing.

I kinda look at this the same way I look at cars (they come in so many varieties and prices, but it is the driver that is the professional). The drum set itself comes in a variety of different price points and has features/build quality to justify them for the most part. Regardless of what is chosen, it is the drummer playing the drums that is the "pro" or "non-pro". I think that "pro" drummers tend to play the more expensive, luxury drum sets because they want to use the best hardware/drum materials that are available. Some of them are also used for marketing/advertising by the bigger drum companies. But there are plenty of "pro" drummers that just use a certain type of kit because that is the sound they are going for.

Like many have said already, the kit doesn't determine this, the drummer does. I make very good money, drumming is my passion, so I spent a ton of money on my dream kit. This doesn't make it a "pro kit" as I am not paid to play on it. So to summarize, the drum set comes in varying degrees of "quality". I would tend to use the word "luxury kit" as opposed to "pro kit".

I kinda look at this the same way I look at cars (they come in so many varieties and prices, but it is the driver that is the professional). The drum set itself comes in a variety of different price points and has features/build quality to justify them for the most part. Regardless of what is chosen, it is the drummer playing the drums that is the "pro" or "non-pro". I think that "pro" drummers tend to play the more expensive, luxury drum sets because they want to use the best hardware/drum materials that are available. Some of them are also used for marketing/advertising by the bigger drum companies. But there are plenty of "pro" drummers that just use a certain type of kit because that is the sound they are going for.

Like many have said already, the kit doesn't determine this, the drummer does. I make very good money, drumming is my passion, so I spent a ton of money on my dream kit. This doesn't make it a "pro kit" as I am not paid to play on it. So to summarize, the drum set comes in varying degrees of "quality". I would tend to use the word "luxury kit" as opposed to "pro kit".

I agree with everything you said. But the smartass side of me keeps trying to think of the last time I saw a Pro Drummer play a Percussion Plus drumset. I'm thinking . . . and smiling, too.

GeeDeeEmm

A "Pro kit" eh?

OK, doesn't really matter the brand or composition, because I've seen working guys bring a CB700 to the gig just as much as you see someone with a set of DW Collector's series. In other words, it happens but not too often.

A "Pro Kit" is going to be a set of drums that is in good maintenance, decent heads all the way around, all the fittings secure and lugs lubed and accounted for.

This "Pro Kit" (PK) will probably have some small pits or dings (character marks) due to all the work it's seen but nothing too radical. PK can go do a wedding in all its splendor and look sharp enough to satisfy the aesthetic eye of a bride on her wedding day, as well as handle a bunch of crazy drunken idiots at the local bar.

PK's more than likely have memori-locs on the tom holders, cymbal boom arms and stands so the rig sets up consistently and quickly every single time. Sometimes things are labeled if it's an elaborate array of stuff.

PK's are usually accompanied by a set of cases or bags and most likely some sort of rolling transport unit such as a hand truck or Rock -n- Roller for easy ingress/egress maneuvers.

So essentially, PK's are not necessarily high end or low end drums but rather sturdy, reliable tubs that offer the ability to get in and out of a gig before the bassist. :D

The semi pro kits of today far exceed the pro kits of the 60's and 70's.

Exactly what I was getting ready to say... I'll admit, I don't really 'get' the whole vintage drum thing -- every vintage kit I've dealt with was trouble, some sounded better than others but they were all kind of rickety and none sounded any better than a good, modern entry level kit - IMO.

I love the 'retro' look of vintage kits (Champagne Sparkle has always been my weak spot) -- but I'd much rather have a well-made modern kit and wrap it with some Champagne sparkle!

Surely a pro kit is one which gets the job done with ease with a good sound for the least amount of money. In this way more money in the pocket for non-drum, non music essentials mortgage /rent, car, family, food, living a life.

Fact is most top brand kits are pretty similar. Once miked up, bit of eq and I for one can't tell the difference in sound between a tama, yamaha, premier, pearl, sonor etc. the companies make all sorts of claims but in my experience the sonic differences are very very small. Much bigger differences can be had by just changing the style of stick. A 22 maple ply drum is a 22 maple ply drum.

There are some good replies here but I think we might be missing the point of what a "pro kit" is. Of course it depends on who's playing the kit and who's getting payed to play or not...

But, IMO a pro kit is a kit that can be torn down and set up 5 nights a week, humped up and down stairs, thrown in a van (left out in the cold or heat), spare and/or replacement parts can be found in Anytown, get bumped and beat on stage and man handled by folks with little respect for said drums, take a few beer spills (and a good cleaning) etc...
...and anything else a "touring kit" or "house kit" gets put through for more than a few years.
That to me is what a pro kit is.
CB700 and vintage kits would not come out on top at the end of a season and live to tour again (if they could last even one tour).

Aside from the obvious who's getting paid for it, gigging, etc... I am going to dig a little deeper and

agree with better heads, better tuning, and of course, better play.

But I will add to that? Great bass pedal and quality cymbals. With crap cymbals any kit will sound like well crap. Add great cymbals, and the kit is instantly upgraded. Add great hardware, and unless you are going for a specific sound, or the absolute best sounding resonance from shells that cost what most cars used too, you got yourself a "pro kit".

DW

Back