Your next drum kit

Perhaps upgrade at some point to a high end Sonor kit and some Stagg Furia cymbals.

Never ever thought Sonor before but paid £70 for my current one (cheapo 503 I think...no budget for drums thanks to an expensive, and greedy, ex-wife and a crap solicitor) ) and it didn't sound out of place on stage last weekend having shoved a set of hydraulics onto it and tuned it up as well as possible...

I use Sabian XS20s also. I'm struggling to see the merit in paying hundreds of points out for cymbals as I just can't imagine them sounding THAT much better. But I heard some Stagg Furias last weekend and they sounded A1

I'm playing my last drums....cymbals, well when I hear and can afford something I love, I get it. Always trying to improve on cymbals and mine aren't bad...just not perfect eh.

...Amazing.......we have to see some pics / list. I currently have three and my wife never let's me hear the end of it. She wants her house back.

I have another post here in DW where I list all and show photos of most of my sets. If I can find it I will post the link....I also don't have any problems with wifey....happily Divorced!

Last edited:
After seeing this amazing kid play ...

I'm really going to have to consider the pickle bucket option

TheKidiPone.jpg

Its a seat....no it's a drum.....it's a seat....no it's a drum.........it's both.Pickle Pail Drums......soon to be seen at NAMM.Stay tuned boys and girls.:)

Steve B

I just ordered a pdp concept 7 piece last night. After having a Pearl export for nearly 20 years, I figured it would be time for a change. To me, Dw is over priced and the price on the pdps was good, I like the fast sizes and I have heard what they sound like live and also what they can do all micd up and recorded. A Pearl Masters set would have been nice but I got tired of searching ebay and craigslist for a good deal, I want to play!

0-pdp-concept-maple-7-pc-drum-kit-shell-pack-pearl-white-l-0.jpg

That pic is actually the x7 I think but the concepts look almost the same with slightly different lugs.

I just ordered a pdp concept 7 piece last night. After having a Pearl export for nearly 20 years, I figured it would be time for a change. To me, Dw is over priced and the price on the pdps was good, I like the fast sizes and I have heard what they sound like live and also what they can do all micd up and recorded. A Pearl Masters set would have been nice but I got tired of searching ebay and craigslist for a good deal, I want to play!

0-pdp-concept-maple-7-pc-drum-kit-shell-pack-pearl-white-l-0.jpg

That pic is actually the x7 I think but the concepts look almost the same with slightly different lugs.

nice, i love white drums is that the color you got too? are they maple or birch and what did it cost ya? oh yeah when are you supposed to get them?

Guru for this drummer. G. U. R. U.

FTW.

larryz, I had a kit just like them, same exact finish. Got em new in 1976 for $835.00 Except mine were 12,14,16,18 toms, 14 x 5 supra snare, atlas hardware, speed king pedal. Sold them for 100.00 in 1984. Facepalm, hits forehead with heel of palm, then kicks self. Oh well. I thought they were dogs at the time, the bearing edges were way hilly, to the point of having dead spots.

Of course I wasn't a great tuner of drums back then either.

But yea Guru. G.U.R.U.
Me thinks you better figure out what size of drums you want first, before you send the final order in! :)

one of two,,,

1) a new homebuild stave kit (spalted maple), or
2) a new vistalite jelly bean kit.

...leaning towards #2.

They should Bo. Really. It seems here on DW you were the first to buy, love and extensively review them. You should be compensated. As Gruntersdad should with Gretsch. Sticks aka Bandit with Mapex. It would be a cool gesture on these companies part.

Anyway for me it will be an early 70s Ludwig Blue Oyster Pearl kit. It's weird - the 60's BOP wraps are darker. The current re-issue Guitar Center club date kit wrap is too fake. But the 70s BOP wraps were just perfect. Brighter blue within the classic Ringo design. Like this...
Larry, I wish I could understand what all you guys think is so amazing about these blue oyster pearl finishes. I know your favourite drummer played one, but it just looks like cheap linoleum flooring to me. I love Neil Peart, but have never really liked any of his kits enough to go after one, and he has had some pretty nice looking kits! I guess I don't need to understand, it just baffles me!

I'm not much of a gearhead, but I like small kits, small drum sizes and natural finishes. Right now I have a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz with a maple finish. My next will definitely be a three-piece however. Or at least a four-piece with a virgin bass drum so I could leave the rack tom at home if I wanted without it looking like something's actually missing.

But I'm not exactly drowning in cash at the moment so it'll be a while.

Larry, I wish I could understand what all you guys think is so amazing about these blue oyster pearl finishes. I know your favourite drummer played one, but it just looks like cheap linoleum flooring to me. I love Neil Peart, but have never really liked any of his kits enough to go after one, and he has had some pretty nice looking kits! I guess I don't need to understand, it just baffles me!

Yeah, very few wraps appeal to me as well... Had a couple as a kid growing up and parted with all of them, I always get the natural lacquer stuff. To me looking at stained or naturally finished wood grain never gets old. To each their own.

Back