Musikmesse 2012 - Premier Nicko McBrain Kit (pics)

Arky

Platinum Member
Nicko McBrain Kit by Premier (Musikmesse 2012 pics)

Here's some pics I took at the Musikmesse 2012 in Frankfurt on Friday, 23 March.
Together with the Mike Mangini Tour Kit this kit is the craziest kit I've seen at the Musikmesse but I might have overlooked something... The Messe is overkill for the senses anyway, haha.

Crazy amount of (rack) toms, crazy angles, crazy overall kit... but it works for Nicko! Pictures can't do justice to the real thing.

(PS: My camera is rather low end and a few years old but the pics turned out ok I think.)

Attachments

• Premier IM kit _01_sized.jpg
    Premier IM kit _01_sized.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 7,017
  • Premier IM kit _10_sized.jpg
    Premier IM kit _10_sized.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 7,680
  • Premier IM kit _09_sized.jpg
    Premier IM kit _09_sized.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 6,599
  • Premier IM kit _08_sized.jpg
    Premier IM kit _08_sized.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 5,844
  • Premier IM kit _07_sized.jpg
    Premier IM kit _07_sized.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 20,963
  • Premier IM kit _06_sized.jpg
    Premier IM kit _06_sized.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 24,659
  • Premier IM kit _05_sized.jpg
    Premier IM kit _05_sized.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 6,406
  • Premier IM kit _04_sized.jpg
    Premier IM kit _04_sized.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 7,499
  • Premier IM kit _03_sized.jpg
    Premier IM kit _03_sized.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 31,079
  • Premier IM kit _02_sized.jpg
    Premier IM kit _02_sized.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 28,705
Last edited:
To round it up - here's 2 pics of a smaller Iron Maiden kit.

Attachments

• Premier Iron Maiden_1_sized.jpg
    Premier Iron Maiden_1_sized.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 6,067
  • Premier Iron Maiden_2_sized.jpg
    Premier Iron Maiden_2_sized.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 5,730
Awesome pics. Nico is so very "old school". Most cats with rigs that big have racks. Nico still embraces the pre-80's look, stands instead of a rack. And, of course, no double pedal, for Nico, either. I remember seeing him drum for Pat Travers, back around '77. The guy could shred back then. And he does, now.​

Nicko has always been my biggest influence. I think he got me into drums, actually...
As far as i can see, his main toms (read: mounted on the bass drum) are 12 and 13 inches .Given the height and angle they are mounted at and the weight of a 12x12 and 13x13 pair of toms, that`s some serious hardware they got there!

Excellent pictures! I love the 360 degree shots, it's rare to get a good angle right behind his kit like that. Did you happen to check out his new series as well? It's called the Premier XK Boomer, and apparently Jaguar Motors does the finishes...

I would get so many back problems after playing 15min in the big set lol. Works great for him somehow.

Well those kits _are_ 360 degree kits (including that Mike Mangini with a far more complicated setup) so they look different from various perspectives and absolutely deserve to be shot accordingly.

I've seen one of those smaller Iron Maiden kits at the music store nearby (they had the toms pretty angled, too - must have been some Nicko fans among their staff), sat at the throne but didn't touch anything. I also didn't touch anything on the Messe this time - still drum newbie and feeling no need to display poor playing on hi-end instruments, especially on the Musikmesse ;-)
(Also didn't touch any guitars which would have been much less embarrassing... Just looking around, having some talks until my nervous system called it a day - too much stuff to grasp, sounds everywhere.)

.... the weight of a 12x12 and 13x13 pair of toms, that`s some serious hardware they got there!
Wouldn't surprise me, in the least, if there's a shaft running full length, inside the bass drum (like a Rogers Memriloc tom holder), 'cause indeed, that's a lotta weight to be hanging on a kick drum.​

Attachments

• DSCamcoLA1c.jpg
    DSCamcoLA1c.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 5,271
  • rogers76memriloc.jpg
    rogers76memriloc.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 5,672
Wouldn't surprise me, in the least, if there's a shaft running full length, inside the bass drum (like a Rogers Memriloc tom holder), 'cause indeed, that's a lotta weight to be hanging on a kick drum.​

Those are actually 13x13 and 14x14 toms, which makes it even MORE ridiculous! As far as I know there is no additional support. On his tour kits (this is a replica model) there is a port bottom center on his kick drum... nothing inside but a small pillow and a mic!

Those are actually 13x13 and 14x14 toms, which makes it even MORE ridiculous! As far as I know there is no additional support. On his tour kits (this is a replica model) there is a port bottom center on his kick drum... nothing inside but a small pillow and a mic!

Really? I always tought they were 12x12 and 13x13 !
I would go with Harry`s idea, as well, i don`t think a regular tom holder could sustain that much weight.

Really? I always tought they were 12x12 and 13x13 !
I would go with Harry`s idea, as well, i don`t think a regular tom holder could sustain that much weight.

I'm sure there's got to be some sort of extra brace plate or something, come to think of it. His tom sizes are: 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ("square" sized), 18x16 and 24x18! Monstrously fat sounding drums.

I'm sure there's got to be some sort of extra brace plate or something, come to think of it. His tom sizes are: 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ("square" sized), 18x16 and 24x18! Monstrously fat sounding drums.

Fat, indeed.
I knew the sizes but apparently i have mentally organised them wrong.
Applying some physics principles, the shorter and closer to the bass drum mount the end of the tom arm is, the more stress there is on the mounting bracket. The longer, the less stress there is and the dangers of damaging the shell because of stress are reduced. But I don`t think it`s practical drilling the shell on the bottom for a mechanism that would support the tom arm.The wight is, indeed, considerable, but i just find it more impractical than what Harry sugested.

i went to see one of nickos drum clinics in newcastle (england) and took some pics ill try get them on

Nicko has always been my biggest influence. I think he got me into drums, actually...
As far as i can see, his main toms (read: mounted on the bass drum) are 12 and 13 inches .Given the height and angle they are mounted at and the weight of a 12x12 and 13x13 pair of toms, that`s some serious hardware they got there!

Same here. Nicko was a huge influence on me growing up. Gorgeous custom kit, befitting someone of his stature.

Great pictures but is it me or Nicko's kits really looks like some of Neil Peart's Kits?

Eg.

1171486NeilsKit.jpg

Once again Nice pics!

Great pictures but is it me or Nicko's kits really looks like some of Neil Peart's Kits?

Only in the number of toms. Neil's kits have much smaller and shallower toms, placed at a much more sensible angle. Same goes for cymbals.

Not bashing Nicko at all, he's an amazing drummer, but that setup is insane on so many levels :)

Only in the number of toms. Neil's kits have much smaller and shallower toms, placed at a much more sensible angle. Same goes for cymbals.

Not bashing Nicko at all, he's an amazing drummer, but that setup is insane on so many levels :)

Yep. i`ve seen pictures of Nicko`s set from the 80`s (i think the Powerslave "era") where he had three !!! rides and literally a forest of various crashes!
I have a pretty big kit too, but i place my toms in a very different way. To each, his own...

Back