Favourite Keys Player

Ray Manzarek ~ The Doors, who played bass-line notes on a keyboard bass.
Jon Lord, is one of my favourites also.
Brian May, John Paul Jones, Geddy Lee besides their main instruments to play, they are excellent keyboard players.

Yep, all the below ... and also ...

*UNCOOL ALERT*
If you find uncool music taste abhorrent, you may wish to scroll down.

My favourite pianist is ... Elton John! Great rhythm, great touch, great style.

Ok, it's safe to look now.

Also Steve Winwood was great with Spencer Davis Group, Traffic and with Stomu Yamashta.

I'm told that Art Tatum is the greatest jazz pianist player of all time but I know nothing about him. In jazz I love Dave Brubeck, Nina Simone, Cecil Taylor, Chick Corea (on electric piano), George Duke, Herbie Hancock on synths and, especially, Joe Zawinul.

In prog there are some great synth players - Eddie Jobson with Uncle Frank and UK, Stomu Yamashta, Eno, Richard Wright. Mirette Garaudy produced beautiful synth sounds with Steve Hillage. Can't forget Rick Wakeman. Keith Emerson is brilliant but can be grating.

Michael Cotton from The Tubes is an undiscovered treasure IMO. Thijs van Leer from Focus is brilliant at everything.

For organ, obviously Ray from the doors, also Greg Rollie from Santana, Dave Greenfield from The Stranglers,

Jazz pianist: Herbie Hancock, without a doubt! The man is brilliant. I just picked up a solo album he did in 1978 called The Piano. It was initially released only in Japan, but has since been re-issued worldwide on CD. I highly recommend it!

Organist: "The Incredible" Jimmy Smith, John Medeski (from Medeski, Martin, and Wood), Tom Coster (underrated but very good!; played with Santana, circa '76), Joey DeFrancesco, and yes Pollyanna, I too love Gregg Rolie's work with Santana; the solo he does on "Oye Como Va" never fails to excite me.

Jimmy Smith...Organist.
Dr. Lonnie Smith, no relation, ...Organist
Rodney Lee..Keyboardist extraordinaire. MP3 below.

Attachments

• Booty_Jazz.mp3
    4 MB · Views: 185
  • Escaping Gravity.mp3
    5.2 MB · Views: 185
Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Joey DeFrancesco, Brad Meldhau, Nick Van Dyke (redemption), and David Garfield although I probably forgot a few, i love the keys

Off the top of my head...

Herbie Hancock
Joey DeFrancesco
Ray Charles

I also enjoyed Eddie Jobson - I saw him play live with U.K. and with Jethro Tull. I remember he was pretty fine with a violin as well.

Ok...

This time I'll keep it to only one. Here's my list, inpo:

Keith Emerson

He's all I need in MY list. Thanks.

My list would be like this:

Tuomo Prättälä (great Finnish keyboardist)
Stevie Wonder
Dr. Lonnie Smith
Chester Thompson
Roger Smith
Uri Caine
Joey DeFransesco
Matt Johnson

Thelonius Monk, Josef Zawinul, Avishai Cohen, Scott Kinsey, Keith Jarrett, Lyle Mays,Cecil Taylor, Richard Tee, Ray Charles, Jimmy Smith,Gregg Allman and whoever played the keys on Beatles Lady Madonna...

Plenty of great ones here, but I'll add Tommy Mars to the list (skip to just before 2 minutes into this video).

Oh, and my sister is a keyboard player. Actually, Jens Johansson, who played the original solo for The Cage which she's covering there, is definitely worth including.

Rick Wakeman- Yes
Billy Joel
Isaac Slade- The Fray
Jesse Carmichael- Maroon 5
Avril Lavigne

Jordan Rudess, Rick Wakeman, Derek Sherinian, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea(from time to time) and alot more that I don't remember the name of.

Back