Evans J1 Etched heads ?

double_G

Silver Member
sooo, i am having my mind blow on Erskine's "playing w/ brushes" VF page [ http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/erskine.php] and i REALLY like the super smooth sound he is getting ! i thought there was something special about the "coating" & turns out they are Evans J1 Etched heads [ http://store.daddario.com/category/148400/J1_Etched ]. anyone ever try these on their snare or entire kit ? i am currently running Remo coated diplomats.

to wit: "J' for 'Jazz'. These 10mil single-ply heads have an etched finish that's ideal for brushes, but doesn't chip away under sticks. With maximized sustain and frequency balance, the J1 emits a natural earthiness similar to calf...but without the problems."

thx,
Geoff

Hey Geoff,

The J1 Etched heads are great. We actually had Peter in a couple of weeks ago and he was using G1's. He switches back and forth. Both work great with brushes. I would recommend checking the heads out at a local shop if possible. The smooth and consistent coating of Evans heads is a perfect match for brush players right out of the box. No need for sandpaper or other methods to wear down the head prior to playing with brushes.

Enjoy!

Is the etching similar to how the coated G Plus heads are...? Because visually it looks like that on the website but I can't tell at all.

This is an interesting concept for a head...

Is the etching similar to how the coated G Plus heads are...? Because visually it looks like that on the website but I can't tell at all.

This is an interesting concept for a head...
The etched version is only available with the J1 heads. This is similar in appearance but still different from the frosted coating available on the G Plus heads. We also have white coated G Plus heads (same coating as the G1, G2, etc.).

Last edited:
very cool - i am gonna check these out at Sam Ash or similar soon. get one on a snare. sound is amazing online & not having the break-in / sand a head for brushes in a winner. curious how they etch the heads...i guess some cad / cam wizardry at the sub-mm level.

GBG

My 60s Ludwig 12/13/16 toms are outfitted with them. I tried coated ambs and coated emps, and then tried these. They blew both of the other heads out of the water on that kit. With my 70s Ludwig 12/14 toms, however, coated ambs won the contest. It's all up to your ear and how they sound on your drums. Just because so-and-so used them doesn't mean that you'll get the same results.

I dig them, and I think it's a shame that they aren't more widely-known about.

Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps you couldn't sense my excitement in hearing about an etched G-Plus (hint, hint)

An etched version of the G Plus wouldn't make much sense since the benefit exists for brush players. The G Plus is a thicker head intended to take a bit more of a beating. Have you tried the frosted and white coated versions of the G Plus?

An etched version of the G Plus wouldn't make much sense since the benefit exists for brush players. The G Plus is a thicker head intended to take a bit more of a beating. Have you tried the frosted and white coated versions of the G Plus?

In my mind the etched surface of the J1 is something that you guys do best. Why not make a more durable snare batter head with the same surface? Also to answer your question, yes & yes. Not a fan of the frost, coating of course wears quickly with brushes, (no flaw here really as most coatings do) and my only knock on J! for snare is durability.

While you guys are on the subject of the g plus, I am using them as reso heads with fantastic success. Best reso heads I have ever used. Sorry for the thread hijack......

While you guys are on the subject of the g plus, I am using them as reso heads with fantastic success. Best reso heads I have ever used. Sorry for the thread hijack......
A lot of people have been checking these out as resos and I've heard nothing but praise about them. When I get some time, I plan on trying coated G Pluses out as resos.

Enjoy!

I wonder how the coated heads will sound? Maybe a little old school sound? I really like the way the Clear G plus heads act in harmony with the clear G-1 batters. The Maple shells really allow this combination to open up and the sound is.....well.... nothing short of remarkable.

I wonder how the coated heads will sound? Maybe a little old school sound? I really like the way the Clear G plus heads act in harmony with the clear G-1 batters. The Maple shells really allow this combination to open up and the sound is.....well.... nothing short of remarkable.

Do you happen to have any recording gear? I'm sure there are people who would love the hear this head combo.

Nothing that will accuratly reproduce the sound so that a comparison can be made. I just have a small digital camcorder with a tiny mic, and you can guess the quality of the sound recorded. Hey, this sounds like another project for Bob Gatzen!!!!

Nothing that will accuratly reproduce the sound so that a comparison can be made. I just have a small digital camcorder with a tiny mic, and you can guess the quality of the sound recorded. Hey, this sounds like another project for Bob Gatzen!!!!
Mr. Gatzen and I have our plates pretty full with a project right now but this could be something for the future. Keep your eyes peeled...

Consider them officially peeled.........or Evans can just sponsor me !!!!!!

I've heard the J1s are great for Jazz - has anyone used these for rock? I'm past the testosterone-fuelled-smash-your-drums-with-tree-trunks-as-hard-as-you-can period (read: I am an old fart trying to relive my glory days but no longer have the energy I used to have) and use Evans coated G1s on my snares for energetic rock music. They last plenty, and I like the sound but am always open to new ideas. So if anyone has used both G1s and J1s for this type of music I'd be keen to hear about your thoughts.

These are great heads. They tune up well in both lower and higher tuning ranges. And for brushes, they are the bomb.

I have them on a 1984 Rogers XP8 set, 12, 13, and 14x14 toms.
I play a mix of gosple, blues and country styles.

I have J1 heads on several different snare drums. Maple, Brass, Aluminum, and steel.

Back