Exodus Brings A Bronze New Beat To The Drum Industry

Will give them a listen when I'm at NAMM.

Which is apparently more than they expect their customers to be able to do: "...with a strong focus on selling direct. "We like to be involved in everything and pride ourselves in strong communication with our customers," Skinfill said. "Our customer service is very proactive and quick to respond to anything related to our products and Artist Relations since we support what I call 'NEW BLOOD TALENT'. Additionally, Exodus relies on social networking to build its brand as well. According to Facebook, the company is now the most “Liked” independent cymbal maker, recently passing Meinl, Paiste and Istanbul."

Well, that's great if you like to buy cymbals online, believe that Facebook "likes" actually mean anything, and that every customer falls under the Artist banner. I smell the SJC business model here.

Or, maybe I'm just not this "new blood" that they're talking about, and hopelessly out of touch. Yeah, that's gotta be it.

Bermuda

Trying to sell a product that's all about sound,and not letting the buyer hear it,till it's shipped to them?

No stated return or guarantee policy.Made in Turkey...in maybe the same factory as how many other brands?;(

Steve B

Trying to sell a product that's all about sound,and not letting the buyer hear it,till it's shipped to them?

No stated return or guarantee policy.Made in Turkey...in maybe the same factory as how many other brands?;(

Steve B

They do have Series' sound tests all over youtube. They have like 10 or 15 different series of cymbals, and from what their vault looks like, not enough people to test them all. True, each cymbal only sounds like itself, but I havent heard a bad test of one of their series yet.

I was checking out some of their series on youtube and their reasonably priced for custom cymbals but I also want to hear more from the people that might own them. They sound really nice though.

It sounds like you guys are being a bit unfair to Exodus here. They never said anywhere that their endorsers are just whomever they get to buy their cymbals. Most of their cymbals are sold in Central and South America, and most of their endorsers seem to be Latin American names. I don't recognize any of them, but I really don't know anything about the music scene down there. All of their performers seem to be pretty good on their Youtube videos.

Plus, I met one person who said he owned an Exodus cymbal. He liked it and he did not say he was an endorser. I just wish he had it with him so I could play it.

They are just suffering the problems every company has when trying to break into a new market.

It sounds like you guys are being a bit unfair to Exodus here. They never said anywhere that their endorsers are just whomever they get to buy their cymbals.

None of the companies that do that say so, either. We've observed several small companies with long lists of endorsers, who are in fact just their customers, and Exodus fits this pattern. It has nothing to do with the quality of their cymbals, they may be quite good (I'll find out in about a month at NAMM.) It has to do with their marketing. But as I said, they're not alone, and from a purely technical standpoint, a customer would be considered an endorser.

Perhaps not every drummer who bought the cymbals is listed on their site, but they have a list of 140 drummers on their artist page (a Facebook photo page BTW) which is a lot for a brand new company, and I only recognize 2 names - Dan Caro (I do remember seeing him on TV) and Carlos Skinfill... the head of the company. And I only know his name because of his former employer, Supernatural Cymbals.

A list of Artists (endorsers) is supposed to attract interest based on familiar names, not make you question if it's just a laundry list of customers. Carlos needs some credible N. American and European drummers on board to get some worldwide attention going. (No I am not volunteering!)

Bermuda

Yeah, I can see why you would be suspicious. I went and looked through the endorsers to see who I recognized. And I only came up with a couple too.

Same two as you; I remember seeing something about Dan Caro mostly because of his burns, and Skinfill from when I was reading about Supernatural cymbals.

I also recognize Absalom Ruiz I think from Youtube. I didn't know his name but the guy from Manticore (one of my roommates used to listen to them).

Also, Efren Guzman is also listed on Meinl's artist list. Slightly below Benny Greb (only reason the name caught my eye).

Still, hopefully we'll find out soon. I was told on facebook to email their "artist relations" department about applying. I'll post back with any response I get. I still haven't gotten a response to my question a couple of weeks ago regarding their return policy...

I am confused by that drummer cafe description. Are they blending B25 alloy with 75% copper, or using B25 alloy?

Blending B25 with 75%copper would give you B6.25, or the lowest tin percentage I've ever seen used in cymbals. Pretty sure they are using B25 and that the writer typed it wrong.

Todd

B25 means that the copper content is 75%, and the "25" refers to the tin content, in this case, 25%. I think their wording must be a little confusing.

Cast cymbals are traditionally 20% tin, 80% copper, so the Exodus cymbals are supposed to sound different for that reason.

BTW, copper & tin make bronze. :)

Bermuda

I am confused by that drummer cafe description. Are they blending B25 alloy with 75% copper, or using B25 alloy?

Blending B25 with 75%copper would give you B6.25, or the lowest tin percentage I've ever seen used in cymbals. Pretty sure they are using B25 and that the writer typed it wrong.

Todd

I've seen B5 cymbals before, in the flesh. Made by an artisan in the UK. All different kinds of bronze are perfectly viable.

Yeah, I can see why you would be suspicious. I went and looked through the endorsers to see who I recognized. And I only came up with a couple too.

I'm not suspicious. Their tactic was obvious from the start.

But if there's still any doubt that they consider their customers as endorsers, here's a little evidence as it appears in their sponsored Facebook ads/links. The ads variously say "Open endorsement program for USA and Canada!" and "Our endorsement program for USA is open. Apply today!" and "...ask for our endorsement program" and "Looking for endorsement? Like us and find out how you can get it!"

A respected company doesn't throw around the word endorsement as bait, or as a status that essentially any drummer on Facebook is welcome to apply for. But that's exactly what Exodus is doing here, because they're really just looking for customers. It devalues the entire concept of endorsements by making them less credible, which results in less impact and potentially, fewer sales.

It would be more effective to list just 3 or 4 high-profile, well-respected names, than 140 names that are unknown to the target buyers.

Bermuda

They do have Series' sound tests all over youtube. They have like 10 or 15 different series of cymbals, and from what their vault looks like, not enough people to test them all. True, each cymbal only sounds like itself, but I havent heard a bad test of one of their series yet.

I would not base my decision to buy a cymbal on a youtube video.That may create a base line for me,however if I can't see and play a cymbal in person,it creates suspision on my part.I'm aware of the youtube vids.I really don't consider that truly letting you hear before you buy.

You really don't have any Idea of how those recordings were made,reguardless of the manufacturers claims.The play back is biased according to your computer speakers.There still isn't a clear guarantee or return policy .Buy em' if you want.There's plenty of great sounding new and used cymbals out there that I can actually play .I'd much rather buy an actual cymbal,and not a sound sample.

Steve B

I would not base my decision to buy a cymbal on a youtube video.That may create a base line for me,however if I can't see and play a cymbal in person,it creates suspision on my part.I'm aware of the youtube vids.I really don't consider that truly letting you hear before you buy.

And that's a real problem for small cymbals and drum companies, they're not in the stores. You really don't know how a cymbal/drum sounds or feels, based on hearing a video clip. Exodus is unlikely to show up at Guitar Center or Sam Ash, and the remaining drum shops and full line stores are still dwindling. I'm told that over 900 independent music stores in the US closed over the last 2 years, which is tough on the store owners, customers, and of course the suppliers.

Like I said, I'll give them a listen at NAMM. And I never begrudge a company for wanting to sell product and make money. But I do reserve the right to question their marketing methods.

Bermuda

Sounds like the old Soultone scam...pay us to be on our 'endorser' roster. Feel really important while we scam you by now making you buy our cymbals.

Of course, I could be wrong.

No you are dead right on the money!

Like I said, I'll give them a listen at NAMM.

And, I did.

They sound good, although no different than what's available from Soultone, Supernatural, Anatolian, TRX, etc.

Bermuda

hi there!! well i am an exodus cymbals endorser.. y name is victor hugo martinez and i am there.. in their official page, however i like to say that i love my cymbals. they sound great, i tried for many years the zildjian k series and the istambul cymbals. and they were great but i am amazed with my kaphar series. and yeah.. there are iportant names right there. but not stars.. myself.. i ve been a drummer for about 10 years now.. i recorded several albums for mexican metal scene and played with about 20 bands (session and former drummer) and i may not be famous. but in mexican metal scene i am recognized as a lead drummer. and there are several drums from here who are important.. there are drummers from Ricardo Arjona, Yuri, wayne fletcher that is a really reknown drummer in reggae music. so.. yeah i mean.. we may not have the archievements of neil peart and buddy rich! BUT!.. we are still growing in musical bussines! cheers man!

They do sound like the classic Soultone scam..recruit hundreds of unknown drummers whether they're good or not under contract, and then make them buy their cymbals, just to make them feel famous or important adding them to a roster and making them a personalized banner. That and if you google it, you'll find that they buy cymbals from Impression cymbals, they just add their name. So in theory they re-sell a product at a higher cost, comparable even to top manufacturers like Zildjian. I would definitely stick with Zildjian (since 1623) or Sabian since they make their own cymbals.
Of course this is my personal opinion as a consumer and everyone's entitled to have one, but anyone could be wrong.

-
"Impression Cymbals is a Turkish cymbal company founded in 2010 by four partners that had previously worked for Bosphorus Cymbals for more than ten years and decided to establish their own cymbal foundry. In February 2013 three of the original four founding partners left the cymbal business. Impression Cymbals also makes OEM for Exodus Cymbals."

Back