Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin, I'm very much looking forward to the hammersmith apollo show on the 9th of october :) You are a huge influence/inspiration to me, and I've been hooked since I first saw/heard of you at Drummer live 2008. To be honest with you, I don't really know much porcupine tree stuff, I just jumped at the chance to see you play live again. Any how, if you reply to this I would appreciate any recommendations/tips for drum microphones. I use a similar set-up to you, minus the 8"x7" tom. Sound-wise, again, similar to yours. Thanks a lot for the inspiration, Phil.

Hi jivadayadasa

Gavin, I was reading an "over practice" thread about trying to not get in a rut or being too tired mentally from practice long hours at one go... Everyone asks you how you warm up but I was wondering how you personally keep "fresh" on tour. I've seen the "hand blister/callous fotos" and I realize the toll on the body but how about the mind?

It's a good question. I try to get out of the habit of just seeing the venue dressing room and stage - and go out walking or riding around the local town to experience some other things. I meet up with friends from all over the place and I listen to very varied music when I'm on tour. The mental state affects everything and the longer you're on tour the harder it can get.

Hi cygnify

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out patterns, but I have to ask - at the end of the heavy middle section of "Way Out of Here," when you play it live, it gets insanely intense with a whole bunch of china hits over choppy double kick patterns - what's going on here? It's hard for me to make out these fast patterns; what are the typical kick / china patterns you might be using on that part?

It's is basically an Afro Cuban 6/8 pattern played over a displaced herta on the bass drums. The herta starts on the 2nd 16th.

Hi <3Josh<3

I did want to ask you something, if you can remember...right after the solo in Sound of Muzak, you played a fill before coming back into the chorus, you ended it a little late ( I think you came in on the 2?). Anyway, I was wondering, was that something you were planning on, or did you just accidentally come in late? Either way, it was awesome considering you knew exactly where you were when you came out of it.

Yes you're right - I played a fast fill and then got my right stick caught under one of the floor tom mics - so I couldn't hit a "1".

Hi Hurlza

i was just wondering. in the end of Octane Twisted how did you record that beat? and what is the cymbal that you use?

It would be the 18" Z China. I don't quite understand what you mean by "How did I record that beat"?

also in your career have you had and injuries sustaned from drumming?

Not really physical injuries - but I do have some amount of tinnitus - which is no fun at all.

Hi Roger//

What kind of pillow (Size) (shop maybe?) do you use in your bassdrum?
Must be pretty big... right? Dimentions?

It's the heaviest feather pillow I could find. It's a pretty regular bed size pillow.

Hi ProgJazzy(QC)

Hi Gavin, just wanna say thanks for the great show in Montreal, i traveled from Quebec to get there, it was amazing, great set list! Haha Gavin the magician!, i just want to know something, are you playing the exact same set list every show or you just go random on the 2nd set?

We have a pool of songs to choose from to make the set list for the 2nd part of the show. We normally find a set that has a good flow - and then some songs get swapped out night after night.

Hi The Bassist

In Gravity Eyelids you do that fill at about 6:18 that sounds awesome. I found a post a while back from this thread where you said it was a R L R R L pattern that you used, but I still can't seem to figure it out. I realize you're on tour so transposing it to sheet music might not be doable for you, but maybe one of the other guys here who does that could point me in the right direction?

maybe Terry B could do it if he has time???

Hi drumbumhamza - thanks for the review.

Hi Phil Brodermann

Any how, if you reply to this I would appreciate any recommendations/tips for drum microphones. I use a similar set-up to you, minus the 8"x7" tom

here's a list of all the stuff I'm currently using

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison

cheers
Gavin

Hey, Gavin! I just saw you in Toronto two nights ago... great show! The Incident sounded great live, and I really like the album as a whole.
After the show, I saw you come out to the main area with a Corona in hand, lol, and you started talking with a bunch of guys. My girlfriend and I were sitting in two chairs by the exit doors, and we were waiting to talk to you. I was wearing a gray sweater, if that helps. We didn't want to interupt you when you were talking to those people. After a few minutes, they kicked us out and we never got to meet you! We're so upset! Out of all the members of PT, I wanted to meet you the most... You looked at us a few times, lol, and when we were kicked out, I had to walk away... it hurt. I hope you return in Spring like Steven said, and hopefully, we can meet you that night! I'd love to see you guys again.
On a side note: My girlfriend said you were better looking than she expected (she's never seen you before), haha. Take care!

I do have one drumming related question though, if you don't mind.
In Gravity Eyelids you do that fill at about 6:18 that sounds awesome. I found a post a while back from this thread where you said it was a R L R R L pattern that you used, but I still can't seem to figure it out. I realize you're on tour so transposing it to sheet music might not be doable for you, but maybe one of the other guys here who does that could point me in the right direction?

Ok, here you go. Have fun!

gravityeyelidsfill.jpg

Terry

I noticed someone asked what time signature Bonnie the Cat was in, so I decided to transcribe the groove for a bit of fun (even though Gavin already answered the question). I've not transcribed much at all lately and it was nice to do it again. Maybe I'll do some full songs....

Anyway, here it is (minus the ghost notes), how does it look Gavin?
bonniethecat.jpg

Hopefully I will be seeing you in Manchester on the 18th of December with Porcupine Tree. Last time I went to a gig at that venue (Opeth) the curfew was really early because it was on a sunday. Do you have any idea what time the curfew will be on the thursday that you will be playing there? I would be gutted if the set had to be shortened, is that frequent at Porcupine Tree gigs?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I noticed someone asked what time signature Bonnie the Cat was in, so I decided to transcribe the groove for a bit of fun (even though Gavin already answered the question).

Scroll down to post #3610. Terry Branam already transcribed the groove, you should check with his transcription as they are always very spot on.

Fox.

Scroll down to post #3610. Terry Branam already transcribed the groove, you should check with his transcription as they are always very spot on.

Fox.

Just looked at it, you're right - it is very well done, and I'm happy that mine is pretty much the same minus the ghost notes. Still, it was nice to write something out again, even if somebody had already done it.

Thanx for the reply gavin. What i meant by record the beat was did you record it as a loop or is it all live? and how did you come up with the idea for the beat?

[
It's is basically an Afro Cuban 6/8 pattern played over a displaced herta on the bass drums. The herta starts on the 2nd 16th.

Hi Everyone,

Excuse me you all but i can´t find what the meaning of ´herta´ is. This word has blown away every dictionary avalaible for me. I´ve found it on the internet as a female name, a frankfurter´s Company and even and Asteroid!. Very interesting, but nothing close to a musical term.
Could everyone please give some help to my rusty brain?. ;-))
Many thanks in advance.

Gus.

Hi ProgMetalHead,

sorry I missed you in the after show.

Hi DaleC

Anyway, here it is (minus the ghost notes), how does it look Gavin?

Yes pretty good job there - but the ghost notes are the hardest parts to play!!

Hi Hurlza

Thanx for the reply gavin. What i meant by record the beat was did you record it as a loop or is it all live? and how did you come up with the idea for the beat?

I don't record anything as a loop - it's all live from beginning to end. I think that part came out of a jam we we're having as a band.

Hi Gus

Excuse me you all but i can´t find what the meaning of ´herta´ is. This word has blown away every dictionary avalaible for me.

It's a hybrid rudiment - have a look here
http://www.drumstheword.com/licks-g...rta-three-note-hybrid-rudiment-drum-lick-fill

cheers
Gavin

Thanks Gavin. I agree, the ghost notes are the hardest part to play, but they really help fill the groove out. Major props for coming up with such a fantastic groove!

I was wondering about the RLRRL sticking that you mentioned towards the end of your Rhythmic Horizons DVD. I really like this sticking and I think it makes for some brilliant polyrhythmic grooves depending on where the accents are placed. You used this sticking inside of triplets in fills, but do you ever use this sticking in grooves? If so are there any examples that you could explain or show, from a CD/DVD or even from a transcription?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

In Italy is very hard to work with music. Last week i went to a little recording studio near my house to look for work. I have take with me a cd demo. In this cd i have played 5 pop songs with a local band and it was a good work for me. The drum tracks were played with simplicity but with taste and precision, also because the genre was that (think Claudio Baglioni, Fiorella Mannoia, Raf or many other italian artist of this kind)! But my drumming was not appreciated, because they said that there were few virtuoso fills in (???). And this unfortunately happens often. I know that 99 percent of people think that a good drummer should be an octopus or play at supersonic speed, but i thought it was important to play with precision and taste to be appreciated in a professional environment. I stayed sick. I have studied 8 years with a Berklee graduate teacher. Has this ever happened to you? I have to learn to play like Vinnie Colaiuta, so they make me play a waltz?

Hey Gavin,

If I recall you mentioned you were testing out some possible new Zildjian chime/splash cymbals? Is there any update on this? (release, etc)

Thanks as usual, all the best!

Hi Gavin! I saw you last week at the Metropolis in Montreal and it was a really great show (the performance was flawless and the sound was pristine). I was wondering if Porcupine Tree plan to do a show in Quebec city in this tour? I saw that you have a new cymbal in your setup (completely at the left of the kit) and it looks like a big china cymbal, can you tell me what is this cymbal and why did you expand your set up (i saw that you sometime ride on it with your left hand).

I want to finish by saying how much I appreciate that you take time to answer all the question we have...I wish we could have do that with Buddy, Bonham, Porcaro etc. You're a real inspiration on and off the drums. Thank you.

Hey Gavin!

Thanks for your reply.
Got a pillow a discount price at Yisk (im in the Netherlands).
Little smaller than a regular sized pillow, but still heavy.
Works great! I like the sound of it in the drum, short and punchy.
Thanks for your help!

I'll just continue asking ok?:p

1: How do you muffle your snare? I read something about rings...
Did you do this at the MD festival for example?
If so.. what kind of ring? I can't spot it in pictures:S

2: What is your opinion about coated ambassadors on the toms? I have those on there now, but I find them to have a little too much overtone... what do you think?

Thank you for being so nice in taking time to anwser all my little questions.

Again, I've learned a lot from your videos, and I love the sound you get out off the drums!

Hi DaleC

I was wondering about the RLRRL sticking that you mentioned towards the end of your Rhythmic Horizons DVD. You used this sticking inside of triplets in fills, but do you ever use this sticking in grooves? If so are there any examples that you could explain or show, from a CD/DVD or even from a transcription?

Yes it's one of my favourites. I do use it inside a couple of grooves on my latest CD with 05Ric "Circles" . Soon there will be a book of the transcriptions and you'll be able to see that sticking in action.

Hi daniele

But my drumming was not appreciated, because they said that there were few virtuoso fills in (???).Has this ever happened to you?

Your story surprises me. Usually my experience has been that they don't want virtuosic fills - but just simple good feeling groove.

Hi gibeachhead

If I recall you mentioned you were testing out some possible new Zildjian chime/splash cymbals? Is there any update on this?

Yes we have worked on some prototypes - but I have no news about a possible release.

Hi djlouis

I was wondering if Porcupine Tree plan to do a show in Quebec city in this tour?

Not this tour - but we hope sometime early next year.

I saw that you have a new cymbal in your setup (completely at the left of the kit) and it looks like a big china cymbal, can you tell me what is this cymbal and why did you expand your set up (i saw that you sometime ride on it with your left hand).

Yes it's a Zildjian 22" Swish Knocker (without the rivets). I like to ride on it with my left hand sometimes as it opens up the rest of the kit for the right hand and some interesting rhythmical possibilities.

Hi Roger//

Did you do this at the MD festival for example? If so.. what kind of ring?

On my 14" snares I usually use a zero ring (or two) for muffling. On my 12" snares (like I used on the MD Fest DVD) I don't really muffle them at all. Maybe a tiny bit of gaffa tape sometimes.

2: What is your opinion about coated ambassadors on the toms? I have those on there now, but I find them to have a little too much overtone... what do you think?

I really like them - but I dent them too quickly playing rock music on them. So I find the tone and durability of the Coated Emperors much better for me in a situation like Porcupine Tree.

cheers
Gavin

How's that for a happy coincidence? First day I've been on the boards in months and I'm listening to you playing on the new O.S.I as I type.

Great stuff. A little too much electronica for me to fall absolutely head-over-heels with it, but I guess that's the thrash metaller side of me speaking.

I hope Portnoy doesn't hold a grudge.

:)

Last edited:
Hey Gavin!

About this question again. First off thanks for taking the time:)

(Hi Roger//

Did you do this at the MD festival for example? If so.. what kind of ring?

On my 14" snares I usually use a zero ring (or two) for muffling. On my 12" snares (like I used on the MD Fest DVD) I don't really muffle them at all. Maybe a tiny bit of gaffa tape sometimes.)

But, another question:p

What kind of rings would this be? Regular ones like the Remo's or the Evans E-rings? or do you make these yourself?

I have a choice to make. the puresound Equalizer Snare Wires with 12 or 14 strands. what do you think? 12 give less buzz? still a good snare sound?

Thanks!

Roger

Last edited:
I was wondering where I could get the followup to Drop. I love Drop, and I feel that it contains some of your best drumming. You bring out a lot of what drummers DON'T but SHOULD do, and it's inspiring. The best touches, imo, are your ghost notes. They have such a light, subtle touch, and it just fills out your playing so well. I have both of your DVDs, and I plan on watching them shortly. My playing has been lacking for a long time now, so I look forward to learning your ideas! One thing I love doing because of you is snare displacement. Early or late snare hits really groove out the music!
I have another question, actually. How often did you practise when you were just starting out? Did you do a lot of theory studying and disciplinary type stuff? Do you still "practise" these days, or do you just play for the bands? Thanks!

Back