Vintage tom mounting?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
My vintage kit arriver today....and to be honest, I dont have a clue how to mount the high tom! It has a rail consolette. There is a bar running accross the bass drum, at the top, a few metal bits lying down. I know that these metal bits need to stand up and mount the tom, but they seem to be stuck, I dont know how they did it way back when, but i really dont wanna use a wrench on my kit to unscrew things, is that how tis' meant to be done?

Got pix? Might be easier for you to get some correct advice.

Don't think I need to unscrew something,just need to find a way to rotate the clamp of it,I should be able to work it out.....its now down, and it should be up, it think that was what was good about them, could be flattened for dtorage, but i dont know how to unflatten!

Last edited:
Yes, you need to use a wrench. Thant's how it was done back then. That's how you're gonna hafta do it now. The piece that connects to the "hot dog shaped" bar that is mounted onto the drum, there's a bolt/nut there ... probably 5/8 or 7/16 inch. That needs to be loosened, and then tightened, to position it. Then, above that, another bolt/nut. Same thing. Welcome to vintage hardware.

Yes, you need to use a wrench. Thant's how it was done back then. That's how you're gonna hafta do it now. The piece that connects to the "hot dog shaped" bar that is mounted onto the drum, there's a bolt/nut there ... probably 5/8 or 7/16 inch. That needs to be loosened, and then tightened, to position it. Then, above that, another bolt/nut. Same thing. Welcome to vintage hardware.

Thanks! Yeah, it looks nice but seems like a bitch. I can unscrew one of them, but the other one is a different size, and i now need to find something that can clamp on properly!

oh my god these thinga are so bad! I tighten the top part as much as possible, and it still can hold the weight of the tom woth out slanting and becoming slippery, sooo bad!

And that's why people .... mount rack toms ... on snare stands ... or replace old "vintage" hardware systems with modern RIMS type systems. Again, welcome to vintage hardware. I love looking at vintage hardware. I don't use vintage hardware, however.​
Kinda like elephants ... they're cool to look at ... but I wouldn't wanna own one.​

I am going to second the idea of using a snare stand to hold the tomtom. The reason why the consolette idea is now considered vintage is because drummers stopped using them because you are very limited on how you can mount the tom. A snare stand will let you put the drum wherever you want and at any angle.

That is a mighty handsome Slingy kit! Congrats!

haha, like the elephant comparrison! It looks much richer is person, less red and much more a mahogany colour. Turns out, it sounds great. It too a good 45mins to get it the way i want but i got the tom in place! And in a very nice one at that. Hopefully some demolition and rebuilding will get me into the hang of setting it up. The toms have internal muffling, dont know why, let those babies sing! They sound amazing, nce round sound, the dampner would ruin it!

As with my large Slingerland kit, the old adage is true..."old wood, new hardware." Best of luck with the kit.

Back