Australia's flooding

IAN - W -

Rebel
Mates,

I have been watching the international news closely about Australia's flooding. It's really a heartbreaker what are you going through, land & people & animals. Here in Venezuela we just began to recover from long devastating effect from rains and floodings as well.

I wish you blessings and all the best in your recovering process!

Ian

Yes mate, it's a big one for the poor buggers up north. An area the size of France and Germany combined is underwater, so I read. Towns and regional cities swamped and/or isolated. Large scale evacuations, several deaths and countless rescues.

Still their sense of humour remains. I got a giggle out of the fact that the second floor of one of the pubs in Rockhampton remains open and is still serving beer! The ground floor is totally under water. It was heartening to see little boats motoring up and folks getting out for a drink. Great Aussie spirit. :)

Now for the water to subside.......then they're really in for the long haul.

The Great Aussie spirit, that´s something I admire! come hell or high water, you never give up!!!

...Hey, who´s got a beer?

Yeah, pretty bad for a lot of people. I'm in South-East Queensland, the past 3 or 4 weeks has just been rain but now seems to be getting clear. No flooding or anything, luckily.

After years of drought and bushfires - now this. Many farmers were pleased to finally be looking at a decent harvest after some of the worst droughts ever ...

I'd hate to be flooded - the muddy water looks disgusting. Every time I hear of these stories I'm grateful to be living in inner Sydney.

This is flooding the natural range of erythrophleum chlorostachys - Cooktown ironwood, what my drums are made out of. These trees are adapted to drought conditions and I wonder what heavy flooding will do to them, and the ecology of the savannas they grow on.

This is flooding the natural range of erythrophleum chlorostachys - Cooktown ironwood, what my drums are made out of. These trees are adapted to drought conditions and I wonder what heavy flooding will do to them, and the ecology of the savannas they grow on.

Google tells me that these trees grow in flood plains so you'd imagine they're pretty resilient when it comes to floods, but an event this extreme can't help.

Just heard on the radio that the cost of fruit and veggies will increase as a result of the washed out crops so I'm guessing that your drum-maker will be having some issues too. It's been some time since there's been a summer here when some community or other wasn't doing it tough.

It's getting worse. Yesterday a flash flood described as an "inland tsunami" swept through the inland town of Toowoomba, with at least 8 people dead and massive damage. No one can remember it being this bad in their lifetime.

509243375-600x400.jpg

The footage coming out of Toowoomba is staggering. Scores still missing too......just hope most of 'em can be found high and dry.

Next stop, the outskirts of suburban Brisbane. The scale of this thing is truely epic now.

"Of droughts and flooding rains", indeed!!

The floods are affecting many areas, including the post. Liverpool Barqueta sent me an instrument and it arrived in Sydney in a soaking wet box. Luckily it is a metal instrument. Had it a wooden shell and it would be screwed.

Also food prices will sky rocket. Things such as tropical fruit and even chillis will become rare.

As for the people and livestock, times. Will be tough. But the weather alone cannot be blamed. People keep building in high flood areas. This has become a subject of much controversy.

How affected that area was by the drought I do not know. QLD has had a high rainfall. The west of QLD, NSW, South AUs and the West were hard hit.

Best of luck to all.

i've just been evacuated from my office in Fortitude Valley, my dad lives in Toowoomba, and is thankfully fine.

Water is starting to flood into West End, which is scary.

Home safe, and starting to get some sandbags ready... I live on a fairly big hill so I think i'll be ok.

Yeah, CBD and The Valley are being evacuated. It's getting pretty hectic. Not much I can do at the moment though. My drums are safe (just in case anyone was concerned).

Surrounding areas are not looking good, it's going to be a serious recovery mission.

Will you Aussies keep us posted on what is going on and if any of the forum members become affected. Thanks.

...makes one feel grateful to live in Victoria.

People keep building in high flood areas. This has become a subject of much controversy.

If that is going to keep happening, they should - for their own safety - adapt...

...that area of Queensland of and NSW is known to be a rainy low-lying region...

...but the "Australian spirit" that stays strong when these disasters happen is something to be admired.

There was an inland tidal wave in Toowoomba recently, that freaked me out. Queensland has flooded before, but not this bad. Some areas are still recovering from the floods a few years ago.

Hard to fathom the Valley being affected. Brisbane in danger. This is extremely serious. There will be loads of snakes in those waters. Does anyone know if croc's are becoming a problem further north?

Mother Nature has unleashed its wrath in our countries...why?

Back