brilliant finishes and sticks

340wedge

I had my Sabian's restored by the factory and are now all new and shiny. I realize they will get marked up again, but I have a question. Which sticks leave less marks if any, wooden tip or nylon tip? And which sound do you prefer, the warmer of the wooden tip or the brighter nylon?

Nylon tips will mark up your cymbals in one session.

I prefer wood, I dont even own a nylon tipped stick. IMO wood tips sound natural, adn feel better.

All my cymbals are brilliant finish and I have found nylon tips leave less marks than wood plus I like the bright crisp sound that a nylon tip produces as well. My cymbals are almost 14 years old now and are still virtually stick mark free although they are starting to loose some of their original luster and the logos are starting to fade as well and I hope to soon send them to sabian to get refreshed. Also if you happen to use a varnished wood stick, those marks are almost impossible to clean off by hand.

I use Regal tip nylon and have never had them leave a mark. Wood tips have a clear sealer on them unless you use Nude stix and they will fill the grooves with crap. If you wish take wood tips and lightly sand the finish off of the tip

I cant believe people worry about their sticks leaving marks on their cymbals ......do you change your heads every time they get marked up to?

my goodness just hit the things !!!!

Nylon tips will mark up your cymbals in one session.

I prefer wood, I dont even own a nylon tipped stick. IMO wood tips sound natural, adn feel better.

I can't stand wood beaded sticks because the bead is constantly disfigured. By the end of a gig, they always feel and sound completely different from the start and I got tired of it.

I use Vic Firth 7AN American Classic sticks. I haven't really seen any major markings on my cymbals. To me it stick markings on cymbals add a signature of the drummer both physically and sound-wise to my cymbals. How do you think older cymbals get that vintage look and sound? By keeping them clean?

I can't stand wood beaded sticks because the bead is constantly disfigured. By the end of a gig, they always feel and sound completely different from the start and I got tired of it.

I use Vic Firth 7AN American Classic sticks. I haven't really seen any major markings on my cymbals. To me it stick markings on cymbals add a signature of the drummer both physically and sound-wise to my cymbals. How do you think older cymbals get that vintage look and sound? By keeping them clean?

exactly.....

not sure why everyone wants to keep cleaning and refinishing their cymbals

its pointless and almost damages the cymbal

stop the madness !!!!!!!

stop worrying about vanity and do the right thing.....leave your cymbals alone!!!!!

exactly.....

not sure why everyone wants to keep cleaning and refinishing their cymbals

its pointless and almost damages the cymbal

stop the madness !!!!!!!

stop worrying about vanity and do the right thing.....leave your cymbals alone!!!!!
You're quite the anti-clean cymbal crusader!

It isn't pointless if someone just likes the way they look after a good cleaning, is it? "Almost damaging" is almost overstating it. Vanity? I dunno... how about aesthetics? Is there nothing in your life you like better clean than dirty if for no other reason than the looks of it?

I like my cymbals to sound bright (rock drummer here) and the thought of letting the funk build up enough to actually be audible seems a bit like... I dunno, like the equivalent of sticking half a Moongel on there (perish THAT thought!).

If you don't want to ever clean your cymbals, then great. But don't be getting all Sticks about it.

Damn purists mucking up the place... (j/k ;-)

You're quite the anti-clean cymbal crusader!

It isn't pointless if someone just likes the way they look after a good cleaning, is it? "Almost damaging" is almost overstating it. Vanity? I dunno... how about aesthetics? Is there nothing in your life you like better clean than dirty if for no other reason than the looks of it?

I like my cymbals to sound bright (rock drummer here) and the thought of letting the funk build up enough to actually be audible seems a bit like... I dunno, like the equivalent of sticking half a Moongel on there (perish THAT thought!).

If you don't want to ever clean your cymbals, then great. But don't be getting all Sticks about it.

Damn purists mucking up the place... (j/k ;-)

just bothers me when folks are all anal about keeping stuff clean and crisp

try touring for months and months at a time and keeping your cymbals pristine....not gonna happen if you dont have someone on the payroll strictly to scrub your pies......

just seems silly to me

I absolutely understand to each his own...just stating an opinion

leave your cymbals alone .....they will thank you for it

if your drums never leave your livingroom then by all means keep them pristine....but if you gig regularly.....leave them be

Yes i do change my heads everytime i hit them LOL. I like to clean my drums for my gigs in the boiler room where they stay and never leave, I also wash my car even though it doesn't drive any better clean and will get dirty again..;)

Yes i do change my heads everytime i hit them LOL. I like to clean my drums for my gigs in the boiler room where they stay and never leave, I also wash my car even though it doesn't drive any better clean and will get dirty again..;)
Don't worry. I am sure most pro's probably clean their cymbals also. I definitely like mine clean. The grooves are there for a reason.

Maybe run the bar of soap through the grooves to help out now and then... I like to be helpful....

How much does something like that even cost? Why not just use a cymbal cleaner?

It's $25.00 per cymbal and they put new logos on. Some don't care and don't want the logos, mine were faded and some gone and I took them off, after a few months I decided I liked the looks of the logos so I wanted them put back on. The other issue was when i cleaned the cymbal like an idiot i used a sponge with a scubby that was plastic but caused alot of micro scratches. I got the cymbals back and too be honest they look better than when I bought them new, money well spent IMO.

It's $25.00 per cymbal and they put new logos on. Some don't care and don't want the logos, mine were faded and some gone and I took them off, after a few months I decided I liked the looks of the logos so I wanted them put back on. The other issue was when i cleaned the cymbal like an idiot i used a sponge with a scubby that was plastic but caused alot of micro scratches. I got the cymbals back and too be honest they look better than when I bought them new, money well spent IMO.

Hey buddy. It is actually 40 for the work plus your shipping too them. My buddy just had all his done.

Because Service Matters

Did you know it's possible to have your cymbals sent to SABIAN for anything from applying a brilliant finish to installing rivets? For as long as we have been around, SABIAN has been the ONLY cymbal company to formally offer this service. Best of all: a flat fee of $40.00 - which includes the cost of shipping the cymbal back to you - is all you will be charged*.

Available Services
Cleaning
Brilliant finish applications (series limitations apply)
Re-application of SABIAN logo and model designation
Installation of sizzle rivets
Other services may be available upon request, additional charges may apply.

It's easy! Contact SABIAN customer service by phone or e-mail to request a return authorization number and discuss the service options you are interested in. Then we'll fax or e-mail you a shipping label. We'll even pay for shipping it back to you!*

[email protected]
1-800-817-2242
*Continental U.S. and Canadian customers pay inbound shipping only. International customers are required to pay both inbound and return shipping. Not all cymbals may qualify. For full details, terms and conditions, and disclaimers, please contact SABIAN Customer Service.

I don't like logo's on cymbals unless it's tasteful and small. I emailed Sabian and told them their logo was hideous. LOL

Because Service Matters

Did you know it's possible to have your cymbals sent to SABIAN for anything from applying a brilliant finish to installing rivets? For as long as we have been around, SABIAN has been the ONLY cymbal company to formally offer this service. Best of all: a flat fee of $40.00 - which includes the cost of shipping the cymbal back to you - is all you will be charged*.

Available Services
Cleaning
Brilliant finish applications (series limitations apply)
Re-application of SABIAN logo and model designation
Installation of sizzle rivets
Other services may be available upon request, additional charges may apply.

It's easy! Contact SABIAN customer service by phone or e-mail to request a return authorization number and discuss the service options you are interested in. Then we'll fax or e-mail you a shipping label. We'll even pay for shipping it back to you!*

[email protected]
1-800-817-2242
*Continental U.S. and Canadian customers pay inbound shipping only. International customers are required to pay both inbound and return shipping. Not all cymbals may qualify. For full details, terms and conditions, and disclaimers, please contact SABIAN Customer Service.

I stand corrected, somehow i remember 25 bucks but must have been 40, either way i was really happy with the results and ugly logos aside, the customer service was excellent at Sabian.

I stand corrected i thought it was 25 bucks but must have been 40, either way, ugly logos aside, I could'nt have been happier with the results, fast turn around and the customer service at Sabian was second to none.

Back