Tama's New Silverstar

RobertM

Platinum Member
Has anyone seen these new drums up close at NAMM or elsewhere? I think they are on a competitive level with Sonor's Jungle stuff and Taye's Go-Kits, etc., but they seem a lot nicer in terms of quality.

Just wondering if the Silverstars are worth the money for a little practice kit/throw-in-the-car-and-go-gig kit.

If the work is really suspect, Chinese factory stuff, then...

Aren't these just a rebadge of the Superstar/Rockstar kits, or have I gotten these confused with another one of Tama's endless "____Star" kits?

Seriously, Tama's gotten just as bad as Yamaha with their endless (and meaningless) "______Custom" naming structure. Speaking as someone that hasn't really followed Yamaha very closely I find their product lines pretty confusing.

I do (or did, really) follow Tama's stuff for quite a while, but in the last few years they've really lost me in this sudden explosion of beginner and mid-level kits that all seem exactly the same.

Well, it looks like the Silverstars basically share the same exact shell as the Superstars. The only difference appears to be (1) sizes: Silverstars offer more diversity in kit setups; and (2) hardware: Silverstars have low-mass lugs, flanged hoops, while the Superstars have full-length lugs, die-cast hoops, and the bulkier Star-cast Mount.

I think the Silverstar was a good idea: a better quality kit than the Stagestars with more shell size options. A good move for players in a tight economy.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the Silverstar drums in person, but when I do, I'll try them out. If they sound good and the construction quality is up they could be a valuable asset for someone who wants a birch set of drums at a low cost.

Dennis

I haven't seen the Silverstar drums in person, but when I do, I'll try them out. If they sound good and the construction quality is up they could be a valuable asset for someone who wants a birch set of drums at a low cost.

Dennis

Dennis: Have you watched Joel Rosenblatt's promo video for the Silverstars via Tama's site? I know it can be written off as standard marketing with polished up mics, but it gives a decent insight into the kit's sound.

I'm still waiting for some YouTube acoustic evidence or, ideally, in person experience!

Awesome marketing move by TAMA if you ask me.

These drums look AMAZING. They took those horrible long lugs from the superstars, lowered the cost by adding flanged hoops and 6-lugged floor toms, redesigned the enormous black painted 1990's-look starcast system, added some gorgeous lacquered finishes and that classy white bass drum reso head.

The result, IMO: a kit that will give Mapex's Meridian Birch, Gretsch's Catalina Birch and Pearl's Vision VBX a very hard time competing, to name just a few.

If the price tag is right, I'm sure they'll be a huge success, just like the Superstars.

I own a Meridian Birch and it's a great kit, but if I had the choice, I would have definitely bought one of these instead. (makes me kinda angry actually).

Well, just my 2 cents. Cheers.

VL-SET11-TRB.jpg

I think Tama as a whole is in for a BIG surge of popularity (or should I say another).

Their speech on "The Big Move" alone made me take another look at the company.

I even started shoping for a Starclassic B/B snare (and I'm not Tama Pearson).

The closest I've ever been to being a Tama owner was back in 88/89 when I was considering a Granstar kit.

I have almost totally ignored Tama since, until recently.

Who knows?, Tama is definately in the running for my next kit, if I ever get another.

I'm quite in love with my Sonor 3007s.

These drums look AMAZING. They took those horrible long lugs from the superstars, lowered the cost by adding flanged hoops and 6-lugged floor toms, redesigned the enormous black painted 1990's-look starcast system, added some gorgeous lacquered finishes and that classy white bass drum reso head.

I own a Meridian Birch and it's a great kit, but if I had the choice, I would have definitely bought one of these instead.

I have to agree that the changes to the hoops, lugs and mounting system makes these a lot more attractive; the old versions were the three biggest reasons, in addition to the finish choices that kept me from seriously considering the Superstars.

I went with the Meridian Birch too, and even though these new Tama's look great, I'm not doubting my choice one bit. I think the Meridians still look a little cleaner and classier, and I like Mapex's finish options more.

The new finish choices are pretty nice, though I miss the days of solid color lacquers, something Tama still doesn't really seem to like doing.

But still, minor quibbles aside, these look like a clear winner for Tama. At the price point they're selling these they're going to be the new hot thing for this year.

I think the tama silverstars are going to be great kits. I like that fact that they redesigned the starcast mount and have chromed them. I think it improves the overall apearance of the drums. I also like the fact that the full length lugs are gone. It also makes the drums look better. It's also less of a hassle when cleaning the drums. They ARE the same shells as the superstars. I think that it would have made more sense to modify the superstar line and include standard size drums that are regularly available in a shell pack.

Just spoke with some Tama folks. The cost on the Silverstars are driven down by the use of the Tama heads and the flanged hoops, which are fine but a bit weaker. The advice I got from a player there was to swap out the Silverstar hoops with some 2.3mm standard hoops (a la Precision Drum or the like) and obviously get some better quality heads.

Otherwise, it appears to be a rather solid kit for the price point.

I think it's really important to play a kit before automatically adding heavier hoops. We've been conditioned by a lot of drum companies to believe heavier hoops are "better" but I don't think they're always necessary.

I tried swapping out some 2.3mm hoops when I got my Mapex Meridians, and I didn't care for the sound at all. The thicker hoops really took away the liveliness and brighter overtones and made the toms sound boxy.

Now, the Tama Silverstars might sound great with heavier flanged or even die cast hoops, but if you play a kit as-is and like the sound, there's no reason to think thicker hoops are always an improvement.

I tried swapping out some 2.3mm hoops when I got my Mapex Meridians, and I didn't care for the sound at all. The thicker hoops really took away the liveliness and brighter overtones and made the toms sound boxy.

Wolf.. I thought the Meridians CAME with 2.3 on toms .. no ?? Or you mean you switched to die cast ??

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Meridian Maple does have 2.3mm, but the birch kits have 1.6mm. And they sound much better for it, as I learned.

But the drum industry (and actually, Tama's a big offender in this area) really pushes the notion that thicker hoops are better and uses 2.3mm or die cast hoops frequently as a mark of superiority.

I think heavier hoops can be a good thing if you're looking for the sound they give, but no one's really selling the sound of the thicker hoops, or even admitting they do alter the sound of a drum quite a bit, they're only selling the perception that thicker hoops equal a higher quality drumset.

I get confused with all offerings from drum companies. Maybe the DWs are a bit clearer than most, although the Mapex drums are well banded and don't come with too many variations.

I get confused with the Tama range and last night I found Tama drums available new on ebay that we not on the Tama website - creating even more confusion.

I've seen this in other brands before and you have to go to MF or GC to check out the prices to work out where all the models fit in the cost heirarchy.

Really, can't we have a system like this:

Drum Company CN range (Cheap and Nasty)

Drum Company BK range (Beginner's Kits)

Drum Company AG range (Aspiring Genius')

Drum Company DNTS range (Don't Need Top Spec)

Drum Company DB range (Dogs' Bo**ocks)

"Oh you have the Tama BK drums - how very quaint etc"

Then we would know where we stand fellow drummers. After all the hardware numbering makes it soooo much easier.

Revolution
Davo

Just found this NAMM picture of a Tama Silverstar jazz kit (18/14/12) in the burgundy sparkle wrap finish. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Picture 21.png
    Picture 21.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 8,835
I get confused with all offerings from drum companies. Maybe the DWs are a bit clearer than most, although the Mapex drums are well banded and don't come with too many variations.

I get confused with the Tama range and last night I found Tama drums available new on ebay that we not on the Tama website - creating even more confusion.

I've seen this in other brands before and you have to go to MF or GC to check out the prices to work out where all the models fit in the cost heirarchy.

Really, can't we have a system like this:

Drum Company CN range (Cheap and Nasty)

Drum Company BK range (Beginner's Kits)

Drum Company AG range (Aspiring Genius')

Drum Company DNTS range (Don't Need Top Spec)

Drum Company DB range (Dogs' Bo**ocks)

"Oh you have the Tama BK drums - how very quaint etc"

Then we would know where we stand fellow drummers. After all the hardware numbering makes it soooo much easier.

Revolution
Davo

What was the tama kit you came across just out of curiosity. I know of Superstar, Rockstar, Imperialstar, Starclassic, Atrstar, Grandstar. I think there are more but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

So what is the price point? Will these little bop drums sell for less than Sonor's Bop kit (under $399?). Hell, for sheer fun and throwing-around, unless it's less than $339, you can't beat Sonor's Safari kit. I think Sonor may have even killed their own Jungle Kit with this move. Tama's offering will have to be physically better than the Sonors, or cheaper.

But I like the fact that companies come out with new stuff. There's more stuff to choose and more competition which keeps costs low and gets more people into playing drums. Only good can come from that, eh?

It would be nice if the general public figured out that you can buy cheap drums that can be made to sound good with good heads and good tuning technique, but you can't buy cheap cymbals and expect them to sound like the recordings you love. Just no way around that.

I'm good with cheap drums on the market. It's the cheap cymbals that have to go.

So what is the price point? Will these little bop drums sell for less than Sonor's Bop kit (under $399?). Hell, for sheer fun and throwing-around, unless it's less than $339, you can't beat Sonor's Safari kit. .

Guys.. Remember.. the Tama is a real Jazz kit with an 18" kick and 12 tom and nice birch shells. These are slightly different models.. the Sonor is more of a Jungle type kit with 16" kick 10 tom and nice basswood shells. Of course if sounds fine, but they are just somewhat different categories... Why not compare the Tama Imperialstar with basswood or poplar shells to the Sonor ???

Anyway.. here are some Silverstars listed ... Yes.. REAL drums with ALL sizes....

http://www.midwestpercussion.com/drums/acoustic/tama/rockstar.html

Guys.. Remember.. the Tama is a real Jazz kit with an 18" kick and 12 tom and nice birch shells. These are slightly different models.. the Sonor is more of a Jungle type kit with 16" kick 10 tom and nice basswood shells. Of course if sounds fine, but they are just somewhat different categories... Why not compare the Tama Imperialstar with basswood or poplar shells to the Sonor ???

Anyway.. here are some Silverstars listed ... Yes.. REAL drums with ALL sizes....

http://www.midwestpercussion.com/drums/acoustic/tama/rockstar.html

The Sonor Bop kit is the 18/12/14 real size drums, just made out of select hardwoods (like spam). It sells for $100 less than these Tama Silverstars in the same sizes. So, other than the wood, the sizes are the same.

I'm a big Tama guy. I'm just sayin' if you're trying to attract the market of people who would consider having a second smaller kit for gigging and practicing, the Sonor is still the better value - regardless of what the Tama's are made out of. At a certain low price point, I don't think anyone cares what it's made out of. I certainly don't care the Sonors are made out of, well, I'm not sure what they're really made out of. At $339 (for the Safari - or $399 for the Bop) I don't think anyone else would care, either. If it was my main kit, then sure, I'd pay real money for 'em, like you would for the Gretsch Maples or DW's. But honestly, for a mid-level, or low-level line, type of wood is not an issue for me.

Back