Desert Island Album

Fishbones

Silver Member
This thread was sort of inspired by CptHowdy's "Top Five" thread. So my question is: If you could only have one album with you while stranded on a desert island, which one would it be?
I'm gonna go ahead and say Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. Undoubtedly my favorite album of all time and an unprecedented achievement in modal jazz. God, I could geek out all day about KOB.
What's your desert island album?

Definitely Dream Theater's Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory.
It's an hour and 15 minutes of playback, great music, a story, and a movie (If I get the DVD!)

Album, Book, and Movie all in one.
I WIN.

It's an hour and 15 minutes of playback, great music, a story, and a movie (If I get the DVD!)

I WIN.

Sounds like it could come off a bit pretentious but who am I to judge. I'm a fan of old school prog - king crimson, rush, yes, and genesis. But a lot of the new stuff just doesn't seem to have any feeling in it. Mike portnoy is a great drummer though.

Sounds like it could come off a bit pretentious but who am I to judge. I'm a fan of old school prog - king crimson, rush, yes, and genesis. But a lot of the new stuff just doesn't seem to have any feeling in it. Mike portnoy is a great drummer though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC-tgb9-dGc
Tell me this doesn't have feel to it, especially at 0:25, 1:53 then again at 2:25.
Also this whole song is definitely not your everyday prog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpTlr1UnJJE
Trust me, this album has feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC-tgb9-dGc
Tell me this doesn't have feel to it, especially at 0:25, 1:53 then again at 2:25.
Also this whole song is definitely not your everyday prog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpTlr1UnJJE
Trust me, this album has feel.

I don't think he's arguing with you. He's just stating his preference, and that's cool. We all have something we don't get with.

This is a very tough question because as unheard-of as it is, I can't have just one thing in my life. I want all things. I was at a photographers convention this past weekend and somebody told me he had his "desert island lens" and I looked at him like his was high on something. I'm sure I want to eliminate all spice from my life by having only one of something (note sarcasm here). It'd be like a Twilight Zone-ish "stuck in hell" episode if you were stuck having to listen to one CD over and over, eh?

But right now I'm digging both of those Jojo Mayer Nerve albums. Nobody else I know likes them, though ;)

I'd probably take "Fragile" by Yes.

Every part from "Roundabout" on down to "Heart of the Sunrise" is just fantastic. Maybe if I was forced to listen to nothing else, I might actually be able to teach myself to play more than two seconds of that drumming.

I think I could be happy listening to The Wall for the rest of my days.

one CD? pfft. I'd have my 80gb iPod with everything...

But if i had to pick one, I guess I'd go with "Still Life" by Opeth (yea big surprise considering it's cover is my avatar).

Wait, what about one MP3 CD? You could get like, 8-10 albums on one of those...

Tough question: Only one! Do you go for the new flavor of the month that you can't stop playing or do you go for that old, tried and tested CD that you still love after many years. For me it would be the latter and I would have to have Donald Fagen's The Nightfly.

Paul

Mar De Grises - The Tatterdemalion Express.

I can't describe how big an impact this had on my life when I heard it back in '04. The perfect Doom Death album, no other album I've ever heard has so blatantly bled this much emotion in such a beautiful manner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fV_0kyG6MI

Last edited:
Damn.

Miles Davis- Miles smiles or

Tool-Aenima

I would have to say "miles smiles." Footprints, orbits, both changed my view of Miles quartets and I literally listened to that album nonstop for a week.

That was a hard descision, I saw Tool on the aenima tour and it changed the way I look at live music....

If I wanted a cd to listen to make myself go crazy thereby leaving the island, it would have to anything by "kesha" I think her name is. Heard on the radio, no talent, no voice, predictable product. That would make me willinging drown myself. Or maybe I would go find the smoke monster, or hunt pigs with Locke.

Wrong island.
Definately miles.

Last edited:
I really like DT, Awake is probably my favourite one of their albums.

On the topic of prog metal, a close second album for me would have been Remedy Lane by Pain of Salvation, though I'm not going to start a trend of listing seconds, as before you know it, we'll be mentioning thirds and fourths and we'll have another top five thread! Already got one of those.

I WIN.

I personally like "in the court of the crimson king" by king crimson.

I prefer that to dream theater. And of course Rush.

But , my album still would be Miles Smiles.

Back