Should I Do the Deal???

I have the chance to purchase a white marine pearl Catalina Club Elite kit (3 piece) which includes 18" kick, 12"'Tom and 14" floor Tom for $325. I am looking for another kit to use for rehearsal and small gigs. Play mostly classic rock music. The kit is in perfect shape. Remo fiberskin heads. Seller called it "elite"'so I'm not sure what kind of wood but probably mahogany. Should I do the deal?

I have the chance to purchase a white marine pearl Catalina Club Elite kit (3 piece) which includes 18" kick, 12"'Tom and 14" floor Tom for $325. I am looking for another kit to use for rehearsal and small gigs. Play mostly classic rock music. The kit is in perfect shape. Remo fiberskin heads. Seller called it "elite"'so I'm not sure what kind of wood but probably mahogany. Should I do the deal?

sounds good for the money mate
not as though it's your life savings so even if you don't like it you can always sell it on?

Sure! Play before you buy. Make sure that 18" kick can give you the classic rock thump you like.

That sounds like a good deal since a new Catalina Club jazz set including the snare will run you $650 without any hardware. However, keep in mind that for $399 you can get a new Sonor Bop kit which is the same sizes (well, a 16x18 bass as opposed to 14x18) and it includes a matching snare as well. With free shipping I say the Sonor is a better value.

I am not sure the wood on the sonor kit, and I have only seen/played one of those kits. (sonor) so I don't really recall which one was built the best. I would look in to which has the best shells, and I am sure you have a few snares you can use if the Gretsch dosen't come with one. Sounds sweet to me though.

Yes. No brainer for me. not sure what the Elite mode is but I have your standard Catalina birch white marine pearl. Really nice. Buy it! Post pics too!

Well I purchase the kit and was able to get the price down from $325 to $300. Pretty good deal I think. Now I have a question about the kit drum heads. It is an 18" kick and it has the Remo Fiberskins on both the batter and reso. Not really sure I like the sound and may just try and muffle some before changing heads. Our band plays classic rock music. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Congrats dude! Enjoy your kit!

As for heads. There really isn't a large range of heads for 18". Try a coated pinstripe on it and Aquarian Vintage heads or Remo Vintage on toms. They sound awesome for classic rock and jazz

the price amazed me almost as much as the very small drum sizes!!! very small kit!!

Good deal! Congrats! When I played 18" bass drums all the time, I found a clear pinstripe on both sides with nothing in the drum worked best for me. It gave you this controlled ring that the audience never hears - they only get this strong gut punch. You'd probably get the same thing with coated emperors as well. I think the 18" bass drum is too small for a powerstroke-type head.

I know for a fact they make 18in EMADs. I don't like them. But they make them. I would try a powerstroke on the batter and amb for res. Go tight on the front head. It'll give you a big full bass tone. If you got a kick mic, they should be able to gate any extra ring you don't want. If not, then any extra ring won't be heard over the rest of the music.

I have one of those Gretsch kits, and I really like mine. Peace and goodwill.

Back