Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin. I have some less musical related questions for you(except the last one). How do you prepare for big concerts? Are you nervous before playing big gigs or on TV/DVD's? If not, how do/did you overcome it? Have you ever played concerts where you feel you're not in control?
Also, how do you know you're playing something "right" for the track you are going to record/play. Are there any rules or general guidelines you follow, or just "feeling" the track?

Hey Gavin,

I've been looking around lately, but I can't seem to find anywhere the special edition of Deadwing (the one with the re-recording of Shesmovedon). I have the original album, but I'd love to have the version with the 3 extra tracks. Any tips on where to find it?

Hey Gavin! Thanks for the response. Now I know how to play 'The Creator Has A Mastertape' correctly!

So, I am going to try and start doing covers of the Porcupine Tree stuff that you have played (everything from In Absentia up to now). Unfortunately, youtube is a bit of a problem for me at the moment. Apparently, there seems to be some type of copyright in place where it says this:

"Your video, Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes Drum Cover , may include content that is owned or administered by these entities: Entity: WMG Content Type: Sound Recording"

How does everyone else on youtube have videos and I run into this problem? Any solutions anyone? Or do I just plain delete it, which is not what I want because I would like to be seen by the world. The link to my youtube page is below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/13KHiHats?feature=mhee

Cheers --Peter

Hi Peter,

I've heard of a few people who have encountered this problem, and unfortunately there is no solution at this point that I'm aware of. Some of the record companies are really over the top and won't allow you to include a recording of their intellectual property in a video, even if you are playing over the top of it (or even if it's *only* your playing, occasionally).

Some record companies are more vigilant than others, hence you see a lot of covers like that floating around. In my experience Porcupine Tree music is one of the worst affected by this, which I find strange, I didn't think they were that popular in the overall scheme of things.

It's the bane of the youtube cover :( It's basically free advertising for the music too, I don't understand it.

Hi szokematyi

I've noticed that you were using a different snare, a 13x6,5 (maybe 7?). Why the change? You were using a 14x5 for a long time, and this change seems... interesting.

It's a 13x7 - I just like the sound of that drum. It's very nice to play.

Hi Thaard

How do you prepare for big concerts? Are you nervous before playing big gigs or on TV/DVD's? If not, how do/did you overcome it? Have you ever played concerts where you feel you're not in control?

I guess it gets easier over time. It's just a state of mind that you have to rationalise.

Also, how do you know you're playing something "right" for the track you are going to record/play. Are there any rules or general guidelines you follow, or just "feeling" the track?

It's a question of taste. What I might think is good for a certain song - perhaps another drummer would have a different idea. Your personality plays a big part in this process - you follow what you feel.

Hi Branndon Center

I've been looking around lately, but I can't seem to find anywhere the special edition of Deadwing (the one with the re-recording of Shesmovedon). I have the original album, but I'd love to have the version with the 3 extra tracks. Any tips on where to find it?

do they not have it at burningshed.com ?

Hi K_HiHats

So, I am going to try and start doing covers of the Porcupine Tree stuff that you have played (everything from In Absentia up to now). Unfortunately, youtube is a bit of a problem for me at the moment. Apparently, there seems to be some type of copyright in place where it says this:

when you say "covers" you intend to just play your drums over our CD?

The fact is that Warner Bros own that recording - so you can't put it on YouTube.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin! What fascinates me is how many covers of songs like Blackest Eyes or Halo are on youtube, and yet it appears that they are all fine. Why that is, I'm completely clueless. I have absolutely no idea what makes all of them different from me. Simo, thanks for the help in that area. It's hard to believe that there are tons of PT covers out there, and I bet that they never experienced any problems whatsoever. Just type in "porcupine tree blackest eyes drum cover" and see how many videos come up. Most of them actually have the song in the video. It's crazy! Oh well. Guess I'm not doing any covers of PT any time soon. If anyone has anything more to comment on this, please, I just want to be seen as a drummer with amazing talents.

On another topic: Gavin, I was just wondering what it was like to record the song 'Okay' with 05ric, mainly the middle section where you use that crazy, yet amazing RLRRL rudiment of yours. I've recently been listening to it more and more, and the pattern intrigues me. I do have the book (Rhythmic Designs) to explain how to play it, but I was wondering what went into the thought process of recording the pattern?

To be (seen) or Not to be (seen). That is the question (although I guess right now, it's not).

Cheers --Peter

If anyone has anything more to comment on this, please, I just want to be seen as a drummer with amazing talents.

Yes, I do have a comment :) : If you want to be seen as a drummer with amazing talents,
rather upload some music (or drum part) of your own invention. In my opinion you'd have
to really, really, really, really nail Gavin's part to sound amazingly talented, but even then
"only" your timing, tightness and groove can be displayed in such a cover, never your
musicality or creativeness.
I believe I know more forum members and real live people who aren't really interested in
listening to drum covers at all than the other way round. My 2 Swiss francs

Hi Gavin,

After watching your latest DVD, I've just started working on Billy Cobham hertas with my feet.

The problem is I can only play them really slowly at the moment and only underneath a basic 12/8 ride cymbal/snare groove.

My ultimate aim is to play them under a 4/4 groove, much like you do, but this seems a million miles off, which is frustrating as I can nomally master new licks/grooves quite quickly after practice.

I wondered if you found mastering hertas with your feet particularly challenging, and if you had any words of advice.

PS Fantastic clinic in Washington a few weeks back.

Cheers

Hello Gavin, I'm Francesco from Rome, Italy. I've been playing drums for 5 years and I discovered PT just a few months ago; since then i'm following you with great interest! I think your drumming is very particular and perfect in every situation, never too loud, always precise, perfect and of course technically advanced . Some time ago I started playing PT songs with some friends, and we set up a cover band, named "Porcupine Dilemma".

Last month we recorded a demo of "Blackest Eyes", one of my favourite PT songs. I'd really like you listening to it, possibly exposing your opinion about the whole "feeling" of the song and on my drumming. I'd be grateful to get some of your useful advices.

Thank you for the time you're spending answering your fans... Your humbleness makes you a great person and musician, as well as an incredible drummer!

Here there are links to our demo on YouTube and our Facebook profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__YWLFp50s

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Porcupine-Dilemma-Porcupine-Tree-tribute-band/223174317699178

My best regards to one of my favourite drummers of all times!
Francesco Lanza

Hey Gavin and other people who will read this post! Apparently, youtube has this thing called the "Fair Use" policy where you can dispute your claim that your video is for "educational and criticism/ comparison purposes ONLY," or something like that. Well, I filed for it, and I'm back on youtube. I'm guessing that any copyright disputes are done now. And apparently this kind of thing happens a lot now too. Well, my video is now viewable via this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7pDvfe8GTk

Please, anyone come check out my drum covers. I think they're great, but then again I'm myself and that makes no difference. I look to post more soon, so be on the lookout.

Cheers --Peter

Please, anyone come check out my drum covers. I think they're great, but then again I'm myself and that makes no difference. I look to post more soon, so be on the lookout.

I hope this is considered as constructive criticism (or not); but you are kind of an idiot. How did you think cluttering this thread with your constant unrelated posts was a good idea? There are much more appropiate sections in this forum.
I'm sure Gavin's gonna be on the lookout for your vids, though; definitely count on that.

Fox.

I hope this is considered as constructive criticism (or not); but you are kind of an idiot. How did you think cluttering this thread with your constant unrelated posts was a good idea? There are much more appropiate sections in this forum.
I'm sure Gavin's gonna be on the lookout for your vids, though; definitely count on that.

Fox.

How is your post not cluttering up the thread as well? (or mine for that matter).

Fox you're not a mod, so let them do their work. And there's no need to be an ass and insult people.

-Jonathan

Gavin,

I notice that on the track 'Way Out of Here', you are playing the rims of the toms (or snare) in the verse section. Where did you develop this technique/idea? Did it come out of exploring new fills or were you inspired by someone or something to try playing the rims? And have you played the rims on any other tracks?

It's a great technique that sounds nice with the track.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
How is your post not cluttering up the thread as well? (or mine for that matter).

Fox you're not a mod, so let them do their work. And there's no need to be an ass and insult people.

-Jonathan

It's what he does... it clutters up the forum more than anything he critiques does. Doesn't matter how many times people point it out to him either, it doesn't change. Let him go, I suppose. God complexes are beyond help

Yes, I do have a comment :) : If you want to be seen as a drummer with amazing talents,
rather upload some music (or drum part) of your own invention. In my opinion you'd have
to really, really, really, really nail Gavin's part to sound amazingly talented, but even then
"only" your timing, tightness and groove can be displayed in such a cover, never your
musicality or creativeness.
I believe I know more forum members and real live people who aren't really interested in
listening to drum covers at all than the other way round. My 2 Swiss francs

It depend on how you cover a song. if you putt your own creativity to soemone else's song, you can actually display your own musicality by showing how you make your own adaptations of other music.
But this as a side note.

To Gavin: I find it interesting to find musicality in improvisations. Do you guys (of Porcupine Tree) ever jam?

Last edited:
Okay my hands are trembling right now. I'm a really big fan of you Gavin. Listened to all your work. For me you are the greatest drummer of all time and PT is the best thing ever.
You have the best drum sound ever. You are my idol.

My question : Recently i purchased mics, but i have no clue about mixing. I mean i sit all day long trying out different stuff. I don't know much about compressors, gates etc but i depend a lot on my drum tuning and my ear. Any suggestions on where to start? And how to tune? Anything. :) Thanks a ton in advance.

Oh and i would just like to add, please do come to India soon. It is my lifelong dream to see Porcupine Tree live, just once, would do anything!

Hi Gavin,

I read recently on Kevin Moore's twitter that he's mixing the new OSI record in a week's time, so it must be just about finished? Are you able to confirm that you played on it, and if so, how is it sounding?

Cheers,
Simon.

Hi Gavin,

I read recently on Kevin Moore's twitter that he's mixing the new OSI record in a week's time, so it must be just about finished? Are you able to confirm that you played on it, and if so, how is it sounding?

Cheers,
Simon.

it's already confirmed on the OSI website "Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree has just laid down drum tracks on a handful of new OSI songs. Jim and Kevin continue to write and record material for the fourth OSI album, their first with Metal Blade Records. Mixing is slated for June 2011."

Back