I couldn't be happier with the way things are going

TColumbia37

Silver Member
As some of you may know, I started taking lessons recently. When he told me we would be spending some time on independence exercises, I thought "This will be no problem. I already have good independence." I was wrong. He started throwing things at me that I had never even considered, and it REALLY worked my brain. He told me that the exercises don't have much use in a normal playing situation, but they would help my overall playing. He was absolutely right. One of my bands was finishing up writing a new song last night, and I was finding myself pulling things out that I could never do before, without even thinking about it. Beats and fills that, before then, never existed to me. Nearly every lesson, he tells me "In this room, I don't care about what you can do. I only care about what you CAN'T do."

So, in conclusion, I would just like to thank those of you who have shown support and have pushed me to do what I need to improve myself. It means more than you probably know.

Last edited:
Those words are a great inspiration TC sounds like a good teacher-student connection ..Thanks for sharing that

That's bloody brilliant!

Don't forget your part in making this happen, you non-smoker!

You make we want to take lessons again. Good luck on the journey. Keep us all posted as to how its going.

I certainly will. I always tend to post here when I get excited about something, so this probably won't be the last you hear about it.

Those words are a great inspiration TC sounds like a good teacher-student connection ..Thanks for sharing that

You need not thank me. I should be thanking all of you.

That's bloody brilliant!

Don't forget your part in making this happen, you non-smoker!

Still going strong! I've been having the most stressful couple of weeks I've had in some time, and not once did I even consider smoking again. I didn't have to fight any urges. It just doesn't exist in my life anymore. I don't often even think about it.

That's awesome, T! Glad you're laying off the smokes. Your body is thankful.

That's so great the lessons are working out for you. Sounds like you've got a wonderful teacher.

I too would like to take lessons to refine my current skills and to develop new ones the proper way. Even though I'm decent for the amount of time I've put toward this hobby I often wonder just how off or wrong some of my playing or technique is. So many things to do and so little time and money.

Glad things are goin well for ya T! Keep at it all, lessons and not giving in to that nasty habit!

XD

As some of you may know, I started taking lessons recently. When he told me we would be spending some time on independence exercises, I thought "This will be no problem. I already have good independence." I was wrong. He started throwing things at me that I had never even considered, and it REALLY worked my brain. He told me that the exercises don't have much use in a normal playing situation, but they would help my overall playing. He was absolutely right. One of my bands was finishing up writing a new song last night, and I was finding myself pulling things out that I could never do before, without even thinking about it. Beats and fills that, before then, never existed to me. Nearly every lesson, he tells me "In this room, I don't care about what you can do. I only care about what you CAN'T do."

So, in conclusion, I would just like to thank those of you who have shown support and have pushed me to do what I need to improve myself. It means more than you probably know.

Any of these independent exercises you would like to share? =)

I too would like to take lessons to refine my current skills and to develop new ones the proper way. Even though I'm decent for the amount of time I've put toward this hobby I often wonder just how off or wrong some of my playing or technique is. So many things to do and so little time and money.

I always thought the same thing. As it turns out, I wasn't really doing much wrong, other than a couple of minimal tweaks that needed to be made to my technique. It's more for me about new ideas. He's exposing me to ideas and aspects of drumming that I didn't know existed, and the improvements already show, just a month into the lessons.

i was having a crappy day but this actually made my day!

congrats my friend!

I'm glad this could be uplifting to someone!

Any of these independent exercises you would like to share? =)

I couldn't really explain them all. Things like playing double strokes with your hands whilst simultaneously playing paraddidles with your feet, and vice versa. He swears by the book "Future Sounds". I think he got some of the exercises from that book.

I like your teachers attitude. Good inspirational message Tony!

Death to all the tobacco companies!

Back