Led Zeppelin II album(1969) percussion questions

Sticks Of Fury

Hello People!
I don't know if anybody on here is going to want to help me out with this. I have two questions to ask about this album, percussion-wise. First question is about the song "What Is And What Should Never Be". If you listen carefully during the fade out at the 4 minute 36 second mark, you can hear this weird clicking sound. It sounds like either Bonham is hitting the sticks on the rims/hoop or he's hitting the side of the tom with the stick. Or is the clicking noise from Jimmy Page's guitar? Second question is about the song "Bring It On Home". When the heaviness of the song kicks in, you can hear overdubbed percussion in the background. What is this percussion? Is it a woodblock or wood claves? It sounds wooden to me, not metallic. If anybody can answer my questions, I would be very thankful, grateful and appreciative for it. Thanks. Take care.

Hello People!
I don't know if anybody on here is going to want to help me out with this. I have two questions to ask about this album, percussion-wise. First question is about the song "What Is And What Should Never Be". If you listen carefully during the fade out at the 4 minute 36 second mark, you can hear this weird clicking sound. It sounds like either Bonham is hitting the sticks on the rims/hoop or he's hitting the side of the tom with the stick. Or is the clicking noise from Jimmy Page's guitar? Second question is about the song "Bring It On Home". When the heaviness of the song kicks in, you can hear overdubbed percussion in the background. What is this percussion? Is it a woodblock or wood claves? It sounds wooden to me, not metallic. If anybody can answer my questions, I would be very thankful, grateful and appreciative for it. Thanks. Take care.

I believe the clicking noise you are hearing is bass slap....... I'd have to listen again to be sure though....... Terry

At 4:36 the song is almost silent. too difficult to hear.

But ah yes. The best of Led Zep's albums. "Thank You"... I had friends who used this as wedding song. I could never be that cool.

Back