What do you think makes a kit look cluttered?

Shild

Before I buy the wrong stuff I was just wondering what everyone thinks makes a kit look cluttered? Too many cymbal stands instead of a rack? Cymbals that don't match? Too many small cymbals? Pedals that don't match?

A kit looks messy when you can see that the person who owns the kit has not put much effort into placing their drums and cymbal stands and adjusting their cymbals correctly. A person who takes care of their kit will have an uncluttered kit

a cowbell. lol.
no really, a drum kit is never cluttered, its all personal taste. i actually prefer 'less is more' lately, fewer cymbals, fewer drums.

John Riley to Terry Bozzio ....they're just drum kits

just love your kit ..... use what you have wisely and none of this matters

Before I buy the wrong stuff I was just wondering what everyone thinks makes a kit look cluttered? Too many cymbal stands instead of a rack? Cymbals that don't match? Too many small cymbals? Pedals that don't match?

Agreed. But you don't need a rack to conserve space. In fact, I think racks place a lot of clunky hardware up high and right at the height to make the hardware more prominent than the shells.

Another approach is to use fewer stands and attach more things to them. At one point, I had five cymbals, four toms and a percussion item on just three stands, really showing off the drums and cymbals.

I think it helps to have visually similar cymbals, but this is not such a big issue.

Too many cymbal stands instead of a rack?

Actually, I personally think a rack looks like more of a cluttered eyesore than cymbal stands. In fact, I think too many angled or horizontal hardware pieces (racks, boom arms, etc...) have a "cluttering" effect, visually. I guess that could also include the cymbal stand legs. Also, stands in front of the bass drum. Seriously, if you have run out of room on either side of the bass drum for stands, and you need to place one in front of your bass drum, you have too many stands...

Shild: Why are you concerned about a cluttered drum set?

Big gaps where the drummer could easily bring things in closer to make life easier for themselves..

Also when a drummer has their hi hat pedal at a right angle to their bass pedal so they're turned away from most of their kit. Same goes for slave pedal.

And stick marks all over the heads like there's no attempt to hit the center.

And obviously misaligned rack toms.

Overextended driveshafts on double kick pedals.

Excessiveness in general, cheesy effects etc

I realize these are not all clutter complaints lol

- negative Ned.

Who cares how it looks.One of my kits is a Frankenstien kit,with at least 6 different brands of drums and cymbals.It's how it sounds that matters.I don't subscribe to the "everything must match and be symetrical crowd".I actually go out of my way to make a stick mark or two out of the bullseye.Things like this shouldn't be your center of focus.Playing the drums should.

Imagine if all the energy you spend on paying attention to the aesthetic,were focused on listening and playing skillsYou'd be a miles better drummer in no time.:)

Steve B

nicko_mcbrain1.jpg

Tom angles, you say?

A king size foam mattress pad in the kick and tape on the heads. Octobans, more than 5 toms although even 5 is a lot, roto toms, 11 different splashes. Might just be my lack of creativIty and abilityt o play all this stuff but it all looks like too much to me unless a song calls for it.

Someday I would like to be a seriously groovy drummer with one up, maybe two down, a ride and crash and mayBe occasionally go wild with a bell or additional cymbal of some sort.

Abe laboriel comes to mind or chad smith. Meat and potatoes type drummers.

I think mine is pretty organized. I just got that ZHT China Splash this weekend, sheet bronze or not, it sounds amazing. IMO.

Attachments

• 100_1845.JPG
    100_1845.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 1,098
I think mine is pretty organized. I just got that ZHT China Splash this weekend, sheet bronze or not, it sounds amazing. IMO.

Dude, moongels are like exclamation points. It's one or none. Do yourself a favor...

"Do you want these drums dead, like mid-70's Eagles dead?" "No man, dead like Fred Durst's career"...

Back