Possible DW5002 fix?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey everybody!

So I received a lefty DW5002 double pedal today and after a quick wipe down to clean it up, I assembled it to check how it works out. I've tightened every allen screw to make sure there aren't any loose ones and to make sure all the parts are there.

Lo and behold - the outrigger beater, when you depress the pedal down to the point of contact, makes a noise and it looks like the cam that holds the beater will not tighten against the axle. I found the allen screw that tightens this cam, and no luck. It's as tight as it'll go. It's like the entire axle is loose. Any of you guys out there have experience with fixing this? Do I have to take it to the shop? (Although I wouldn't mind going out to Hollywood to hang at Pro Drum on a nice Saturday).

I've emailed the seller about it and am awaiting a reply. He did state 'no refunds', but he also stated that the pedal was in good working order. The way it is, I can't play the outrigger pedal. That beater loose-ness is unacceptable.

Good thing I'll soon have two actual bass drums with regular pedals on them. Grrr.....

Difficult to help without actually seeing it Bo. Sound's like he's been using it in a loose condition for some time, therefore the screw can't hold it in place. The screw is to prevent initial movement, it's not a clamping means.

If that was an Ebay purchase, & the goods are not as described, & if you used Paypal, he's got nowhere to go on that.

Yeah, I know. I'm a little bummed. I was planning on having Stan look at it at Pro Drum tomorrow since I have a rare Saturday off (so why not spend it driving 40 miles to my favorite drum shop in Hollywood?), but at the same time, it should work, and it doesn't. I'll get my money back.

I'm glad I bought those extra drums for my Exports now!

I got it! I took it to Pro Drum today and after a bit of dismantling, we discovered itj ust needed to be cleaned and re-lubed in the key spots. Replaced some other things that were stripped out and the pedal runs like a champ.

I know some of you say the slave pedal will always feel weaker than the primary, but I'm not noticing that yet. It is alot of fun - if you don't mind sounding stupid for a while ;)

I'll probably limit my use to just the end-of-song barrage of double bass notes for the noisy endings. But I am trying different things (as of four hours ago).

I got it! I took it to Pro Drum today and after a bit of dismantling, we discovered itj ust needed to be cleaned and re-lubed in the key spots. Replaced some other things that were stripped out and the pedal runs like a champ.

I know some of you say the slave pedal will always feel weaker than the primary, but I'm not noticing that yet. It is alot of fun - if you don't mind sounding stupid for a while ;)

I'll probably limit my use to just the end-of-song barrage of double bass notes for the noisy endings. But I am trying different things (as of four hours ago).

Glad to hear its working. I just won a 9000 series single pedal tonight on the bay. Hope I have better luck when mine arrives next week.

Glad to hear its working. I just won a 9000 series single pedal tonight on the bay. Hope I have better luck when mine arrives next week.

You should. The big issue with the one I got was just basically age. 9000's are pretty new, so they should be good to go. Try the strap - I liked it alot better when I put the strap on it.

You should. The big issue with the one I got was just basically age. 9000's are pretty new, so they should be good to go. Try the strap - I liked it alot better when I put the strap on it.

Be careful with the straps on these. I've heard these have some durability problems. I've been using DW 5002/9002 pedals for the last 20 years, and the chain drive has never broken, and feels great. Have fun with the double Bo. I'm not necessarily a "fugga dugga" drummer myself, but do a lot of triplet and quad-type fills.

Be careful with the straps on these. I've heard these have some durability problems. I've been using DW 5002/9002 pedals for the last 20 years, and the chain drive has never broken, and feels great. Have fun with the double Bo. I'm not necessarily a "fugga dugga" drummer myself, but do a lot of triplet and quad-type fills.

Gotta do the fugga duggas though if I'm to earn my heavy metal wig and leather pants ;)

Back