Is solo drumming music?

Re: IS SOLO DRUMMING MUSIC?

You don't think it is? Before I respond to your view, I need a little personal backing of why and how you don't think its music. The only reason I am asking you this is because you are in for a world of hurt if you don't know what your talking about.

First off... do you know how to read music?

You don't think it is? Before I respond to your view, I need a little personal backing of why and how you don't think its music. The only reason I am asking you this is because you are in for a world of hurt if you don't know what your talking about.

First off... do you know how to read music?

no, I don't read music. I started playing drums 30 years ago but mostly local bands, never a touring band. I consider solo drumming just that, solo drumming. If you can tell me why it's music I'm all ears. Please be gentle! :)

no, I don't read music. I started playing drums 30 years ago but mostly local bands, never a touring band. I consider solo drumming just that, solo drumming. If you can tell me why it's music I'm all ears. Please be gentle! :)

an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

Definition of music.

A drum solo includes all of that

This gets argued all the time. Personally, I don't care if drum solo stuff meets somebody's technical definition of music or not. Whether it is or isn't doesn't make it any less cool and fun to watch or play, for me anyway. And yeah, I think it can be music.

I don't see why its not music. Why is a guitar by itself considered music anymore than drums?

It can be. If it is just playing really complicated drum patterns and showing off your skill (which is what most solo drumming is anyway) then no I do not consider it music. However, if a drummer constructs a solo in a musical way - in a way such that it sounds good, has dynamics, and has dynamic energy - then I would consider it musical.

But in general, the nature of the drumset is that of accompaniment, so most "solo" drumming you will hear is probably not what I would consider music. However, I thoroughly enjoy percussion sections working together to create music (you know, latin percussion and such, as well as any different abstract percussion that has a rhythmic value).

You didn't answer my question. And, if you did, pardon my inability to see the light. If your answer is simply "I consider solo drumming just that, solo drumming" ... then I'm a bit dumbfounded on how you want me to respond especially since you don't know how to read music.

My answers will be based on notation and timing, but if you don't know how to read music, then ..... game over.

What do you want me to give you? A reason on why I think that your wrong? If you don't know how to read music you won't understand my answer.

I'm being gentle.

Thanks Matt and LM201. I wasn't aware that was something that was discussed that often.
While solo drumming may fit the proper definition of music I'll say this, if people walk by a club and here a band playing they will most likely say "do you hear that music?"
If they hear just drums by themselves they might say "do you hear those drums?" While solo drumming may fit the definition of music I dare say most people don't think of it that way. I could be wrong of course, that's been known to happen. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks again

The way my toms are tuned right now, I can play most of the William Tell Overture with soft tympani mallets. Its close and the point is that any instrument that makes sounds or noise can play music. Are drums not called musical instruments? Then I guess they can play music. I think Terry Bozio has enough toms to run 2 full octaves so I'm sure he could play a song, or music. There must be a better topic for debate than whether drums can play music. And if you are playing a drum solo on a musical instrument, then guess what. You are playing music. I would type in "drumming" on Youtube and check all entries and I'm sure you will find a lot of it music. I could see a guitar player saying this about drums, but not a drummer .

Thanks Matt and LM201. I wasn't aware that was something that was discussed that often.
While solo drumming may fit the proper definition of music I'll say this, if people walk by a club and here a band playing they will most likely say "do you hear that music?"
If they hear just drums by themselves they might say "do you hear those drums?" While solo drumming may fit the definition of music I dare say most people don't think of it that way. I could be wrong of course, that's been known to happen. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks again

Well, I can say that about any instrument. When I hear a guitarist alone I say "listen to that guitar". And if more people say it that way doesn't necessarily mean it isn't music.

I think drums aren't considered....

I'll finish later

EDIT: Forget it, people have already said it

Last edited:

Well...

If it's music to the drummer then...

it's music. If a piano player plays by himself, is it NOT music?

Of course it is.

Oh, that brings up a riddle. If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around...

does it make a sound?

Of course it does, though some would argue that if no one's there to hear it, than how does one say it makes a sound? How can you prove it?

Hmm...

OK That Guy, fair enough. Without me being able to read music there's only so much I can say. Thanks for your 'gentle' response.
Kindly ignore my previous post. :)

I don't want to ignore your post buddy. You walked into a drummers forum, some of which are professionals that you might have heard of. You say that you have been playing for 30 years. I find it a little hard to swallow that you have been playing for 30 years, yet you dont know how to read a lick of drum notation.

Regardless... you have thrown yourself to the wolves, yet "us" wolves are sheep, we only want to be your friend. The first step is... be honest. I don't doubt that you have sat behind a drumset for 30 years, but I do question how much of that time has been dedicated to true drumming. Anyone can own a Ludwig Accent or a Pearl Export w/ a few B8's and fool people into thinking that they are a drummer.

With that said... do you wanna start over?

I played in rock bands and it didn't require me reading music even though we played original songs. Not reading was never a hindrance. Should I have learned how to read? Sure. Nowadays aside from an occasional jam I really don't play much anymore. I realize now my question seems ignorant.
Here's a couple of tracks I'm on if you're interested so you can at least get an idea what I sounded like and maybe I don't look like a total fool.

http://electriceyes.us.seanic17.net/mp3/tramp.mp3

http://electriceyes.us.seanic17.net/mp3/when_gods_collide.mp3 (this is from a rehearsal)

does it make a sound?

Of course it does, though some would argue that if no one's there to hear it, than how does one say it makes a sound? How can you prove it?

Hmm...

Actually a tree falling down in the woods with nobody around to hear it, it does not make a sound. Sound is only the ear's perception of vibrations. So it is a fact that a fallen tree does not make a sound if it falls and nobody is around to hear it. You could argue that it does not make vibrations if nobody is around to sense it. If someone discovered a tree that was on the ground, he could infer by the resulting scene that it fell down and made vibrations, but there is no possible way at all to tell that it fell and made vibrations - hence sound. It's quantum physics. There have even been science experiments to prove that seemingly inanimate objects "behave" differently when not being monitored.

I played in rock bands and it didn't require me reading music even though we played original songs. Not reading was never a hindrance. Should I have learned how to read? Sure. Nowadays aside from an occasional jam I really don't play much anymore. I realize now my question seems ignorant.
Here's a couple of tracks I'm on if you're interested so you can at least get an idea what I sounded like and maybe I don't look like a total fool.

http://electriceyes.us.seanic17.net/mp3/tramp.mp3

http://electriceyes.us.seanic17.net/mp3/when_gods_collide.mp3 (this is from a rehearsal)
Good stuff buddy! Nice steady 4/4 rock beat, then you switched it up.. yay. You definately have an ear for drumming. Your questions were not ignorant at all. Through my experiences drummers just cut down to bone. We are the back bone so why shouldn't we?

Now, why do you think solo drumming is not music? You obviously have an ear for rhythm? Do you think that it might be due to the inability to appreciate the complex notation involved?

I am having a rather lively debate with some people in regards to solo drumming and music. If a drummer sits behind a kit and plays by himself with no other instrumentation, would any of you consider that music? I say it's not. Opinions are welcome. Thanks!

How about some more questions back at you...

What is music?

Notes? Sounds? Beats? Noises? Vibrations?

Random Sounds? Organized sounds?........ sorry, too many questions......

Why would a drummer playing alone NOT be music? I'm really interested in knowing why you think that.

Back