This time, we're really mixing it up!

Andy

Honorary Member
A whole new angle to drum videos.

4 years ago, drum industry professionals called us stupid for releasing totally unprocessed sound videos of our drums. "You must be f&^@ crazy" - "They'll sound weak". Well, the countless congratulatory messages we received told us they were wrong. Now a (reluctant) industry trend is emerging, but we're moving the game on. This summer's sessions will feature unprocessed drums in full production music performance settings, & a more eclectic musical mix you couldn't find anywhere else. Brave? - hell yes. Stupid? - quite possibly. Tracking / filming next month.

Attachments

• Guru Honest Capture Sessions 2016 jpg.jpg
    Guru Honest Capture Sessions 2016 jpg.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 506
Oh, and you've got Amy Turk lined up, too! I love her harp playing, and I'm looking forward to hearing it with Guru drums.

Is that Ben on the lower left? (EDIT - Kinda looks like a younger, long-haired Andy!)

Excellent, Andy!

Oh, and you've got Amy Turk lined up, too! I love her harp playing, and I'm looking forward to hearing it with Guru drums.

Is that Ben on the lower left? (EDIT - Kinda looks like a younger, long-haired Andy!)

Excellent, Andy!
Thanks, & yes, that's Ben :) Happy to show who's involved at this stage, but no performance details, as that would ruin the surprise. I can confirm that Ben & Amy will be performing something together, & I'm expecting special!

Additionally, we have some really wild live sessions planned. From deep to frivolous, & everything in between.

These sessions are full of risk. There's very little time available. Each primary session being set up, tracked, & mixed in one day. Unprocessed drums in this environment is close to madness. Even Pete Miles at Middle Farm Studios thinks we're really pushing our luck. In such a setting, unprocessed drums almost always sound weak & thin without the benefit of tweakery. We've got our work cut out on this one :)

I'm doing some sampling & stuff on day 4 with an extremely well known drummer & his producer. More about that (if I'm allowed to talk about it) next month.

Do you mean to say that ALL of the instruments will be un-processed?

Let me start out by saying I’m an old man. To my thinking this project in heading back to the way things were recorded many moons ago. There was a time when the only engineering and mixing that was done to a recording involved separation of each instrument and the volume level of each instrument.

I don’t think there is that much risk involved here. I like raw recordings.
Really, the only risk is that people’s perception of what sounds good has changed over the last 60 years.

Do you mean to say that ALL of the instruments will be un-processed?
No Jim, only the drums will be unprocessed, everything else will be subject to the usual production activities, although tamed somewhat. That's the risk. Unprocessed drums in a produced environment.

Well, that right there will make it a must see video!
Indeed! There's other good stuff too though. An 8 piece session including brass & DJ? More too, & we're really winging it here. Everything will be jammed out on the day (except Ben & Amy's session). There will be some interesting kit swap / comparison stuff going on too :)

Sounds awesome! I can't wait. :)
Nor can I, but honestly, I'm slightly scared = exactly how I should feel :)

Expect some of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-IBhzEF5jk

And deeper stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__xw4cnPKi4

but in a live unscripted context. Absolutely no idea how this will go, but at least we can't be accused of keeping it safe or not embracing multiple music forms :)

As for Ben & Amy, I can only guess, but I hope we do everything justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could afford a Guru. Nobody spent an entire day on my bass drum spurs or anything and I feel really cheated.

Nobody spent an entire day on my bass drum spurs or anything and I feel really cheated.
Hahahaha - Nice side track there ;)

These sessions are precious to me. I could take the easy path. Mainstream music forms, big production, lots of fancy "impressive" stuff, but that's not what I'm about, & I can only hope it's not what our followers want to experience either.

On a practical point, I'm crapping my pants about getting everything built in time. Shell production for this deadline is currently 3 weeks behind schedule (mostly my fault), & I have to build up 5 kits & 15 snares in just over two weeks. I've calculated it as 15 days x 16 hour days, & that leaves zero time for tuning + preparation. I'm likely to fail at some point.

(said like Dr. Emmitt Brown in 1985's "Back to the Future")

As long as there are mics on the drums to bring the volume up to where the other instruments are............everything should be fine.

These drums just need a good tuning with no dampening to sound their best.

Nothing to worry about.

Hahahaha - Nice side track there ;)

These sessions are precious to me. I could take the easy path. Mainstream music forms, big production, lots of fancy "impressive" stuff, but that's not what I'm about, & I can only hope it's not what our followers want to experience either.

On a practical point, I'm crapping my pants about getting everything built in time. Shell production for this deadline is currently 3 weeks behind schedule (mostly my fault), & I have to build up 5 kits & 15 snares in just over two weeks. I've calculated it as 15 days x 16 hour days, & that leaves zero time for tuning + preparation. I'm likely to fail at some point.

Well you'd better get off the dang internet and get to work!! lol

(said like Dr. Emmitt Brown in 1985's "Back to the Future")

As long as there are mics on the drums to bring the volume up to where the other instruments are............everything should be fine.

These drums just need a good tuning with no dampening to sound their best.

Nothing to worry about.
If only it were that simple Larry. You're right, of course. We have the best chance of pulling this off, but it's still a risky deal.

Getting the drums to sound great will be the easiest part...they already do. It's all the other instruments that will be the time consuming hassle getting to sound just right ;-)

I believe this is going to be awesome and so very worth it!!

These sessions are full of risk.

This whole venture has been full of risk mate. From the first time you hooked up with an underexposed drum maker, to the experimentation with wood species/shell construction/hardware, to the first foray into wider marketing, until now. You guys have managed to tread boldly and get it right thus far. I don't expect to see that change any time soon.

Mate, "risk" seems to encompass the core ethos of what Guru Drums are all about.

Looking forward to hearing the results!!

This whole venture has been full of risk mate. From the first time you hooked up with an underexposed drum maker, to the experimentation with wood species/shell construction/hardware, to the first foray into wider marketing, until now. You guys have managed to tread boldly and get it right thus far. I don't expect to see that change any time soon.

Mate, "risk" seems to encompass the core ethos of what Guru Drums are all about.

Looking forward to hearing the results!!
Thank you for your super kind words Jules. Yes - big risks, & frankly, more than is good for anyone :(

Anti-marketing marketing. Next level.

Any chance of a Periscope stream of the actual session?
Hadn't considered that. I'll have to ask those who know more about this than me. No time to let stuff get in the way of getting the job done though.

Getting the drums to sound great will be the easiest part...they already do. It's all the other instruments that will be the time consuming hassle getting to sound just right ;-)

I believe this is going to be awesome and so very worth it!!
We will be spending minimal time on getting instrument sounds. Just the basics, but it's a pretty experienced crew, so we should be good to go.

Well you'd better get off the dang internet and get to work!! lol
Yeah - you got that right!!!!

Unprocessed live drums of yore.
.... next time your singer accuses you of playing 'Respect' too fast, send em' this vid.
Holy crap that was fast!

Hadn't considered that. I'll have to ask those who know more about this than me. No time to let stuff get in the way of getting the job done though

Should be quite easy for anyone who is already inclined, and a low impact way to build some extra press. Do let us know if you find someone to handle the logistics!

Back