Porting a cajon

Popcorn Mogul

I did a quick search, but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

I make cajons for fun after hours at work, just for some extra weekend money. Probably made about 10 or so for other people but never one for myself...(That's what happens)

I've started mine now and I'm just wondering whether or not it would be worth porting it? Does it make a difference, if so, what is it?

Thanks

I make cajons for fun after hours at work, just for some extra weekend money. Probably made about 10 or so for other people but never one for myself...(That's what happens)

I've started mine now and I'm just wondering whether or not it would be worth porting it? Does it make a difference, if so, what is it?

Thanks

Interesting question. I have never played a cajon that was not ported. It allows the air moving off the tapa (front face) to escape, avoiding a "choked" sound.

Ha! I didn't know what a cajon was before I visited this thread, but hey, you learn something everyday. I've watched a few videos of people playing them. They make a super rad sound.

Thanks

Every one I've seen has been ported with a hole in the back. I always figured it was for accessing the snares inside if need be, and I have seen them mic'd through the hole, too.

I think you'd be perfectly fine to port. You may find you like the sound better than the ones you've made before.

The port is very important to the sound of the cajon. In my quest to build a better cajon I've tried a lot of different sizes and shapes. If you want to hear a cajon that has a little something extra, please check out the youtube channel 'mediumsizedog'. Use headphones or good speakers. I build cajons that have sensitivity, lots of tones and pitches and I try to build as many sounds into them as I can.

Back