Terminology?

onetime

Hey guys n gals

Hope you are all well

I'm not exactly new to drumming but I never went through proper lessons or spent any real length of time with rudiments and techniques. I would like to get back into basics and really up my game but I have no idea what people are talking about when they say things like: 'overtone' 'chops' 'ghost notes' and other core basics that I should know

I know I am a fool for not going through things in the proper way but I hope there are some people out there who can help me out and generally put me in the right direction

Thanks for your time.

Whether you know the words or not you'll make friends if you listen well to the music as a whole and put your drum sounds where they make the music sound best.

Still, a bit of lingo smooths the way.

http://www.411drums.com/drums-glossary.htm

It doesn't have "overtones' - the almost inaudible higher tones which occur with the fundamental tone.

Basically, you hit your drum and you hear the boom. The overtones are the ringing tones other than the basic tone. Tune your drum evenly and the overtones will sound good.

ghost notes - the quiet snare taps sometimes played along with the hats, the major snare beat (backbeat) and the kick drum accents.

Back