Current drum trends you wish would go away

I'm totally with you on this one, and I mentioned it in another thread. It's hard to find today a traditional shell pack. I would certainly be a client for a 22x16 12 13 16x16 Gretsch Renown or of equal quality kit but it doesn't exist anymore. I don't like the small and ubiquitous 10x7 rack tom.

Tama's 2019 Starclassic line up offers 8 x 12, 16 x 16, 14 x 22 shell packs in both Maple and Birch/Walnut. Just need a 9 x 13 add on drum assuming you don't mind rack toms mounted off cymbal stands.

The only other alternative option is dealer oriented deals with a DW performance kit since these drums are sold individually and can be paired via dealer incentives.

Alternatively, there isn't many other options from established drum markers. Most companies nowadays just bandwagon off whats hip and as much as I like Yamaha drums, the marketing, innovation, and price points kinda took a dive.

Like.. Absolute hybrid maple to me are amazing and well designed, but the price point in the US makes me straight up avoid them.. mind them only offering 10/12/14 or 16 tom configurations as a pack unless you're willing to pay for individual drums. Finish options are also lacking for such great drums.

On the flip side, the stage custom shell pack is AMAZING for beginners, intermediate and working drummers, but its a double edged sword as it forces people into the 10/12/14 or 16 eco system with deeper kicks.

I can go on forever, but that's pretty much the gist of my rant.

The only other alternative option is dealer oriented deals with a DW performance kit since these drums are sold individually and can be paired via dealer incentives.

Actually a lot of DW dealers (like sweetwater) have a number of prepacks that are 22x14 kick with 13x9 and 16x16 toms in the performance series. You could always just pick up a 12 or 10 to go with that if you want a 2 up.

Bwahahahaha, that's not even CLOSE to being a rock kit...that's three Fisher Price tambourines and a foot snare!

Well I blame drum head makers :)

Speaking of which, that's another issue. Unless you're willing to buy all individual heads, Evans and Remo both can offer significant discounts for their tom packs or bulk orders through online retailers.

Unless you have a popular or modern configuration, you're SOL in terms of pricing unless a dealer can hook you up.

Back