On tom angles

Bo-
Recognize the problem from times e.g. studio/practice, where I've used a 22" bass drum and mounted rack toms. Everything is raised 2". I have used a 20" kick forever and have gotten used to being able to set rack toms, in similar angles toward me, where I'm comfortable. At 5'11" with fairly long arms and legs, I've also learned to set snare and cymbals/high-hat where they are easily reachable. The Yamaha rack/YESS mounts are among the best in the business at dialing those in. As much as I've thought about getting a larger kick, it's for this reason that I've so far not gone there, because of the 2" height differential, which I don't think I would ever get used to. Always wondered, what the players who use 24" kicks do?

I hear you. And I was one of those guys that played 20, 22, and 24 bass drums. I even had a 26. In all cases, playing with one rack to is not an issue. Having two on a 22 is my issue, and while I have it fairly comfortable, it is something I have to get used to. I may even go back to using one tom as well.

I've raised my throne about 1.5 inches again and readjusted everything and it feels better. But two rack toms may never be my cup of tea.

You know, back when I started, I was that guy. Even as recently as 2006, I had my stuff all Nicko McBrain angles, to the point where I had high toms to my left that were nearly on their sides. But I found the beauty in lower, flatter toms. Now my rack tom is just scarcely higher than my snare, and just ever so gently angled. It feels great. We all need to shake it up and try new things, finding that sweet spot.

You know, back when I started, I was that guy. Even as recently as 2006, I had my stuff all Nicko McBrain angles, to the point where I had high toms to my left that were nearly on their sides. But I found the beauty in lower, flatter toms. Now my rack tom is just scarcely higher than my snare, and just ever so gently angled. It feels great. We all need to shake it up and try new things, finding that sweet spot.

I'd love to see a picture of that! Did you also wear the obligatory Iron Maiden t-shirt? With long hair?

;)

Jim, I absolutely love the hot rod thing you've got going on with this kit!

But fast food?

Come on Jim. Fast women are way cooler than fast food and better for you.

You beat me to it. 'Fast Women' is reserved for the snare though - LOL

You know Matt, sometimes I'm not sure they all get your concern. I too am short (5’4”) and considering my first 2up/1dn set. That’s why I’m seriously looking at a 20” bop kit (maybe even an 18” BD) with BD mounted toms. Some of us are very interested in how this all works out for you. Keep us posted.

Thanks again for all your insight – it’s much appreciated. . .

As it stands today I'm back to my one up one down set up. It feels like home ;)

You know Matt, sometimes I'm not sure they all get your concern. I too am short (5’4”) and considering my first 2up/1dn set. That’s why I’m seriously looking at a 20” bop kit (maybe even an 18” BD) with BD mounted toms. Some of us are very interested in how this all works out for you. Keep us posted.

Thanks again for all your insight – it’s much appreciated. . .

Try as many different sizes and configurations as you can.
Some will feel and fit better than others.

What are we talking about? Just do what works best for you. But, this is what I consider perfect and I especially love the way the tom sits. Makes me want to play the oldies...Perfect! BTW, I recently played my brother in law's. He has this same setup and the only thing I'd change out is the pedal. I like my Iron Cobra much better. Otherwise... perfect!

Attachments

• c954f3b5321207d39a626aa2eaaa41b3.jpg
    c954f3b5321207d39a626aa2eaaa41b3.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 175
What are we talking about? Just do what works best for you. But, this is what I consider perfect and I especially love the way the tom sits. Makes me want to play the oldies...Perfect! BTW, I recently played my brother in law's. He has this same setup and the only thing I'd change out is the pedal. I like my Iron Cobra much better. Otherwise... perfect!

I don't think my feet would touch the ground sitting on that throne!

But two rack toms may never be my cup of tea.

Have you ever tried 2-to-the-left setup? I have found that I can get a 10" and a 12" in between the ride and the hi-hat with plenty of room so that they can snug down further than they could atop the kick. I know you don't care for 10" toms, but that's an option.

Have you ever tried 2-to-the-left setup? I have found that I can get a 10" and a 12" in between the ride and the hi-hat with plenty of room so that they can snug down further than they could atop the kick. I know you don't care for 10" toms, but that's an option.

Years ago I tried that with a 12 and 13, but I don't recall if I liked it or not. I probably didn't since I hadn't done it since. I may try it again, no sense I. Ruling it out.

If you're short, I would think shallow toms would make for a much easier 2 up setup, especially if you want to keep a 22" bass drum. I'd rather go short on the toms than the bass drum.

If you're short, I would think shallow toms would make for a much easier 2 up setup, especially if you want to keep a 22" bass drum. I'd rather go short on the toms than the bass drum.

I'm already using traditional toms: 8x12 and 9x13. And no, I'm not going smaller than my 22" bass drum.

I have to say thanks for this post because it made me think about my tom angles. While not extreme they were too much so I have flattened them and lowered my toms a pinch. I'm running 2 9X13s on a double stand as close as I can get to my 14X22 virgin kick.

Still fine tuning it to find how flat I can get them without doing rimshots too darn often.

I'm already using traditional toms: 8x12 and 9x13. And no, I'm not going smaller than my 22" bass drum.

What I meant was that maybe 10x7, 12x8 rack toms would give you that extra inch of being able to lower them down or back to you while still keeping the 22" bass drum. I'm 5'9". I went from the sizes you mention to the more shallow racks ( and floors toms ) and was quite surprised at how much easier it was to get a more comfortable setup. I don't feel I sacrificed any tonality either.

It just seems a shame to get a beautiful kit like yours and have to park a couple drums. I know your a Pearl guy but maybe something like this would be worth checking out? Just a suggestion. I'm not trying to belabor a point. These TAMA's are even shorter than my Mapex shallows.

Attachments

• Tama short bb2.jpg
    Tama short bb2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 144
For my 6 piece, I put the 10" over the bass drum and the 12" next to the hi hat in an offset setup. Keeps the drums a bit lower and pushes them a bit further towards the ride to close the big gap between the rack and floor tom. It also makes for fun and interesting fills.

As for drum angles, I prefer for them to fall ergonomically for how my stick tip will hit them. I want the meaty part of the tip to hit flat on the head surface. If that means angling the drums in odd directions because Im playing traditional grip, then so be it. If its a bit flatter because the toms are lower, then thats fine. If they are at a bit more of an angle because the toms are a higher, then thats what you have to do.

Same thing for cymbals. Angle them ergonomically for how the stick will hit them. Flat cymbals are never ergonomic, IMO. All my cymbals have some sort of angle to them. Some are subtle, others are a bit more extreme. I even have some angled away from me because the stick happens to fall at angle that requires the cymbal to lean back. Its not for looks, its for feel and ease of playing.

I find my heads last longer, my sticks dont get eaten up, my sounds are fuller and require less energy to get good volume, and my cymbals dont get cracks or keyholes.

What I meant was that maybe 10x7, 12x8 rack toms would give you that extra inch of being able to lower them down or back to you while still keeping the 22" bass drum. I'm 5'9". I went from the sizes you mention to the more shallow racks ( and floors toms ) and was quite surprised at how much easier it was to get a more comfortable setup. I don't feel I sacrificed any tonality either.

It just seems a shame to get a beautiful kit like yours and have to park a couple drums. I know your a Pearl guy but maybe something like this would be worth checking out? Just a suggestion. I'm not trying to belabor a point. These TAMA's are even shorter than my Mapex shallows.

I hear ya. I'm just allergic to 10" and 14" toms, so I'll probably never own those. But it's ok. I can play the kit two up and two down, it's just not the most comfortable thing to do.

Short Stack kits are awesome. I once owned a Ddrum short stack kit that I really liked. I still regret selling it.

Back