Why the exclusive screws? Anyone use standard machine screws/bolts?

jscomposer

Maybe it's because I got a used pedal off craigslist that was just thrown in with the kit. LOL But several of the screws were either stripped and/or in the process of stripping. I've also read about stripping screws. But what's annoying is that you can't get these screws at Lowes or Ace or Sears etc. Plus, they're not even universal. Some are metric, others are US. And they're expensive, relatively speaking. Tama replacement screws are $2.95 EACH. I could get a whole pack of normal machine screws for that, except they won't take a drum key.

So what's up with that? Anyone ever replace the stock screws with standard machine screws? Or key bolts? Is there a reason NOT to use more readily available screws if the stock screws strip? It just seems like it would be more practical and economical to use, say, key bolts and an allen key.

Maybe it's because I got a used pedal off craigslist that was just thrown in with the kit. LOL But several of the screws were either stripped and/or in the process of stripping. I've also read about stripping screws. But what's annoying is that you can't get these screws at Lowes or Ace or Sears etc. Plus, they're not even universal. Some are metric, others are US. And they're expensive, relatively speaking. Tama replacement screws are $2.95 EACH. I could get a whole pack of normal machine screws for that, except they won't take a drum key.

So what's up with that? Anyone ever replace the stock screws with standard machine screws? Or key bolts? Is there a reason NOT to use more readily available screws if the stock screws strip? It just seems like it would be more practical and economical to use, say, key bolts and an allen key.

Are your screws stripping, or are the screw holes threads stripping?

Drum key operated bolts are exclusive, b/c there's no standard application other than drums that use a drum key.

Drum key operated bolts are exclusive, b/c there's no standard application other than drums that use a drum key.

The screws themselves.

Drum keys would be unnecessary if they used standard screws or bolts. I wonder why manufacturers didn't just use standard machine screws and bolts from the beginning. Were standard machine screws and bolts simply not so readily available back in the day like they are today?

The screws themselves.

Drum keys would be unnecessary if they used standard screws or bolts. I wonder why manufacturers didn't just use standard machine screws and bolts from the beginning. Were standard machine screws and bolts simply not so readily available back in the day like they are today?

As far as I know all these things are standardized and Tama should use metric. There are coarse and fine thread pitches and most drum things use coarse. Try it again.

Take a screw/stud/bolt etc., that is undamaged, to Home depot or Lowes and try it in the thread/size gauge in the bolt dept. I've replaced winged studs with hex head bolts on stands. Nicer hardware stores have stainless which looks better.

Most drum hardware that I have seen has used standard USS or Metric threads.
I have always been able to find replacement screws for drum hardware.
I have had to Helicoil several threads that have become stripped on drum hardware to repair the threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore

The screws themselves.

Steel vs monkey metal... steel usually wins.

I believe you can still order some SONOR drums with their old school slotted tension rods, replace your stands with hardware stores fasteners using slotted heads, pack a screwdriver and off you go. Working with a screwdriver is pretty lame though.

Me Im happy with a drum key.

Back