Black Hoops/Rims

MDLucas7

Does anybody know where or how to get new black hoops/rims for toms? I have a white drum set and was thinking black hoops on them would like pretty awesome but I'm not sure where to get them at. I've looked on Musician's Friend and Guitar Center but I can't find black ones. Any thoughts?

Powder coating them would be perfect because I work at a place that has a very nice powder coating line. I'll see if they can fit my stuff in sometime. Thanks for the tip!

We have a sand blaster but it's pretty powerful. I hope it doesn't harm the hoops. I could try sanding it off myself and then have them paint it.

I know that sandblasting can easily deform thin sheet metal. Not sure how thick your hoops are, but I don't think that the average triple-flanged would be damaged. Not sure though; someone here should know more about it than me.

I shudder to think of having to manually sand ALL of the chrome off of a hoop.

This was a Pearl brass snare with chrome hoops..

had it blasted and powdered they did the inside too but it actually sounds better now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2FonPYqKPU

If you use diecast hoops be careful cuz the oven gets real hot and warps them.
I had to manually "FORM" the hoops back to round.. id say they are 95% round now but when it was done they were oval. still sounds amazing so not the end of the world

That's a unique look for a snare.
I understand you got it for cheap but I was wondering why you would get a free floating snare and then put a both a piece of moongel and a head with vents (HD Dry?) on it. Seems a bit contradictory. Of course, if it sounds good to you, it is good :)

I've had this snare for ever. Came with my kit.
It was very oxidized so it needed the powder coat.

FYI I no longer have any moongel on it. But I guess the style I play requires more of a dry sound for very very fast snare work... This brass snare gives me a TON of volume.. so it just works that way

Its not a TRUE free floater. the top and bottom can be adjusted. I realized this later on.

I've since changed heads to a G14 with no gel and it sounds much less choked and less like I'm hitting cardboard... Does this mean I'm growing up? haha

Back