Help with Double Pedal Chain Rusting

phebotalus

Hey everyone. I recently noticed my double pedal's chain has started to rust. I don't really want to "scrape" off the rust with steel wool or anything with fear of damaging the chain.

Anybody ever had this happen to them, and if so, have any suggestions? I've been told to use WD-40, but I don't know if that's going to get rid of the rust, or just kind of lubricate it.

Thanks!

Blasting your chain with WD-40 would probably be a good way to clean your chain, but WD-40 is not an oil. It's a penetrant. So WD-40 your chain and clean it with a rag. And do that back and forth, until there's no rust. And then OIL YOUR CHAIN. 3-n-1 oil. Singer sewing oil. 10-40 motor oil. Motorcycle chain oil. Chainsaw lube. Etc.

Got it. Could I also use the 3in1/sewing oil on all the other parts? i.e. springs, bearings, heel pad pivots points...?

Got it. Could I also use the 3in1/sewing oil on all the other parts? i.e. springs, bearings, heel pad pivots points...?

you sure can, but if you have any plastic bushing (plastic used as a wear material) I would use caution around it. Some oil's will degrade some plastics.

The Singer sewing machine oil is a good all purpose lubricant. If your chain is rusted, let some WD-40 soak into it, and hit it with a small brass brush. It won't damage or leave large marks on the chain, and will most certainly take the surface rust off. Then again, use the WD-40 to "wash" the chain, and finally apply some of the 3 in 1 oil...

It will make a huge difference in appearance, keeping things rust free and may even get rid of a little squeak.

I assume also then that you could use the WD-40 to take rust off anywhere then?

Yeah my kit's in my basement, but it's not particularly humid down there so I'm a bit lost haha. No idea why it's rusting :-s

WD-40 will definitely remove the rust, but as soon as you let the WD-40 soak in a bit, WIPE IT OFF with a rag, or else it will create a gross mass of black residue all over your chain. Then do the whole thing one more time, and wait 3-4 days, you should see very effective results by then :)

Trust me, I just did this last week, it worked great! I'm back to playing high speeds on my double that I forgot my pedal was even CAPABLE of! thats how bad it was, you'd press down on the pedal, and when you released your foot, the beater would remain upright o_O Not anymore!

Back