Brand New Drummer

Hey guys. Just bought my first drum set a week ago and love it. Love the sight as well. ALOT of uesfull information. So basicly this post is to ask for any beginner tips and any information you'd like to share with the new guy.

Thanks!

Hi there and welcome. We need and thrive on photos here, so don't by shy. :) Show us what ya got...

Welcome! As a beginner you will find a lot of useful info here. I started about 11 months ago myself and have found the members here invaluable and patient with my many, many noob questions. As for advice...I would just say one thing...get a teacher if you don't already have one. If you are not sure what to look for in a teacher, ask here and we will try to get you headed In the right direction. Other than that....Have Fun!

Happy Drumming!
Mary

When you have read every post on this forum, come back and ask that same question. Until then, happy reading.

A quick tip for you...

When you wanna search for something in this forum do the following steps...

1) Go to google.com
2) Type in the search bar
Site:Drummerworld.com (What you wanna search)
3) Hit Enter and enjoy ^^

IMO this is the faster way to search...I hope I've helped.

I agree with all above and just thought I might mention that some of the members have creepy and funny pics by their names that should not scare you away. Just proceed as usual on internet forums...

(have a sense of humor)

This place is an invaluable resource. Try to ease into drumming and avoid making any huge decisions about your style or what you want to play until your skills develop to the point where you know what the sound you like sounds like. I mean just play and you will learn so much about drumming and your likes and dislikes as you do. It takes time to develop speed/time and you just have to put in the time.

Get a copy of Stick Control (Stone)/mtronome and practice it every day for half hour or more and you will be doing the best thing for your playing/hand speed. Also get a teacher.

One thing is when you're listening to your favorite music always try to count and dissect what the drummer was doing. Even if the music is complex and odd time signatures you can still distill anything down to simple grooves.
One of my favorite drumming albums is The Bedlam In Goliath by The Mars Volta. Well anything featuring the predator Thomas Pridgen. Anyway even though I can't match it note for note I can still play along with the groove of the songs. Then start adding accents and fills and bingo one day you'll be able to play really complex stuff.
but don't discount the value of just making up funky beats on your own
have fun!

I agree with all above and just thought I might mention that some of the members have creepy and funny pics by their names that should not scare you away. Just proceed as usual on internet forums...

(have a sense of humor)

If you're using Firefox+AdBlock, and someone's avatar pic really annoys/bothers you, you can just right click on it and do "AdBlock Image", you'll never see it again. I'd imagine other browsers have similar plugins.

Back