Derek Roddy here!

Hey Derek,
I was curious, will you ever do a clinic tour anytime soon (preferebly the south)? I really would love to see you in clinic. The fact is, you are one of my favorite drummers and seeing an Extreme metal drummer in clinic down here in NC could kick alot of our asses. Thanks!

-Connor

Hey Derek,
I was curious, will you ever do a clinic tour anytime soon (preferebly the south)? I really would love to see you in clinic. The fact is, you are one of my favorite drummers and seeing an Extreme metal drummer in clinic down here in NC could kick alot of our asses. Thanks!

-Connor
Thanks for the props there Connor.
What shop (Town) you near? I'll try to work something out.

Cheers,
D.

Hi derek what do you think about trick Pro1-V drum pedal??

Hi derek what do you think about trick Pro1-V drum pedal??

Haven't ever really thought about it.
I've been using the same Axis pedals for 18 years! Haha.
Haven't ever had the need to change..... the Axis works very well for me.

D.

Last edited:
Thanks man.....I appreciate that comment.

I think that was a big part of what Bernard wanted to create here. I'm happy to be here and also happy to help out fellow drummers.
I live for that.

Cheers and thanks again,
D.

No problem Derek. I had a chance to 'meet' a drummer I really admire and he was not a cool guy. I still love his drumming, but I don't respect him as a person at all, total dud. So when you do meet someone who is cool (even online) that goes a long way. I met David Ellefson (bass) of Megadeth back in the late 80s (Norfolk, Va Boathouse) and he was such a cool guy, you never forget the people who do it right.

Absolutely LOVE that vid of you and Favicchia playing the rumba beat.

Edit: Just watched the other vid and that one rocked as well.

anyway, Im heading back to practice some more. LOL

hi derek, what do you think about trick Pro1-V drum pedal??

Hi, Derek!

I was just wondering what cymbal brands you have used in the past? I know you use Meinl now but I've seen a video with you wearing a Paiste t-shirt. I've also seen a picture of you using Sabian HHXs. If you did change brands, what was the reason?

Well, I'm a fan of gear. So, I have all types of cymbals.
Meinl is the first "real endorsement" I've had with a cymbal company. I love their product and if I the luxury of picking any brand...it would be Meinl anyway.

That said, I own a set of Paiste, Zildjian and Sabian.

The Zildjian's....I bought 15 years ago when I was working at a local music store. Employee discount baby!!!!
I had a friend at Paiste that gave me "artist discount" while I was with Hate Eternal. He was fired (there went my discount)..... and another friend had just gotten a gig with Sabian.....so he gave me an "artist discount" while he was there.

All who you know I guess! Haha.

Cheers,
D.

Well, I'm a fan of gear. So, I have all types of cymbals.
Meinl is the first "real endorsement" I've had with a cymbal company. I love their product and if I the luxury of picking any brand...it would be Meinl anyway.

That said, I own a set of Paiste, Zildjian and Sabian.

The Zildjian's....I bought 15 years ago when I was working at a local music store. Employee discount baby!!!!
I had a friend at Paiste that gave me "artist discount" while I was with Hate Eternal. He was fired (there went my discount)..... and another friend had just gotten a gig with Sabian.....so he gave me an "artist discount" while he was there.

All who you know I guess! Haha.

Cheers,
D.
Ok, thanks. :)

Haven't ever really thought about it.
I've been using the same Axis pedals for 18 years! Haha.
Haven't ever had the need to change..... the Axis works very well for me.

D.

18 years? My school has some drums which have been played for years but most of the drums are broken and they sound bad.

Derek, can you tell me what kit did you use when you first started? Because I don't have a kit and I have to practice in the school and the piano stores but their drums are quite crappy. It's impossible to get a drum set for me. What can I do? Is it very important to get a drumset for drummers? Or can I practice through air drumming ?

I'm sorry if someone has already asked this. Thanks for answering!

My very first kit was a Sears and Roebuck set. All plastic...for the most part.
I tore that thing up in a matter of days and my dad took me to buy a real set of drums......ROYCE!!!!!!! Haha. I was 4 or 5 years old at the time.
I played those for a few years....got pretty good and my dad bought me a Rodgers 7 pc maple kit when I was about 9 or 10. Played that until I could buy my own kit.....which was a Ludwig double bass kit. I was maybe 15 at the time.

Just remember that good players can make Bad set sound really good.
Your gear doesn't matter so much if you have "the touch".
And, getting that touch requires listening to a lot of different music. So, you become familiar with different textures and dynamics.
Yes, air drumming helps... but also, playing drums in your head also helps a lot. I'd say that close to 40% of my practicing in my life has been away from a kit. Just figuring out drum parts and music....in my head.
Thinking about playing can make you better as well.....as long as you have the mechanical part going too.
Hope it helps.

Cheers,
D.

And, getting that touch requires listening to a lot of different music. So, you become familiar with different textures and dynamics.
Yes, air drumming helps... but also, playing drums in your head also helps a lot. I'd say that close to 40% of my practicing in my life has been away from a kit. Just figuring out drum parts and music....in my head.
Thinking about playing can make you better as well.....as long as you have the mechanical part going too.
Hope it helps.

Cheers,
D.

This is oh so true. I am reminded of the experiment done with basketball players shooting free throws.

There were 3 test groups of equal ability.

One group practice free throws for a week.

One group was instructed to 'think about' and to visualize shooting free throws for a week

One group didn't practice or think about free throws

The results were...those who had done nothing score much worse. Those who actually practiced scored best, but those who didn't practice but still thought about their free throws scored nearly as well as those who did practice.

Sorry to bore you guys with a basketball analogy, but it works. :)

My very first kit was a Sears and Roebuck set. All plastic...for the most part.
I tore that thing up in a matter of days and my dad took me to buy a real set of drums......ROYCE!!!!!!! Haha. I was 4 or 5 years old at the time.
I played those for a few years....got pretty good and my dad bought me a Rodgers 7 pc maple kit when I was about 9 or 10. Played that until I could buy my own kit.....which was a Ludwig double bass kit. I was maybe 15 at the time.

Just remember that good players can make Bad set sound really good.
Your gear doesn't matter so much if you have "the touch".
Hope it helps.

Cheers,
D.

Thank you Derek! So I think I'm going to practice in my head!

Hey Derek,

I thought people would want to see this one picture in particular I took at NAMM. It was good hanging and chatting.

Are you based in TX? I'll be playing 3-4 shows at SXSW if you are in Austin then. If not, see you next year at NAMM is my guess.

roddy-kit.jpg

roddy-dwm.jpg

Hey Derek. I have been doing your endurance and coordination (the ten minute ones) exercices for 2 months with great results. Would you recommend them for developing speed in addition to endurance, or are there some other exercices you would recommend gaining for speed. I am content with where my hands are, but I would like to get my feet on par. I do realize foot speed comes gradually over time. Would you consider going from 130bpm to 150bpm (for 2mins+) in 3 months good progress? Time isn't an issue, I practice 4-8hrs a day normally. I know you are so much more then a double bass guy, but who better to ask? =) Thanks for your time.

*Edit* I'll leave the question up if you would like to respond to it. I did some research and I think all answers I have and more are in your book. I honestly think more than anything I'm struggling with balance and need to develop more muscles and control in my lower back and hips. Time to pony up some cash and get the book.

Last edited:
Hey Derek,

It was good hanging and chatting.

Are you based in TX? I'll be playing 3-4 shows at SXSW if you are in Austin then. If not, see you next year at NAMM is my guess.

Dale...it was good meeting you as well.

I'm actually based in Florida....So yes, Namm next year....or, I've got some clinics coming up this year...some in TX, I believe.
I'll keep you posted. Would like to hang again.

Cheers,
D.

Last edited:
Back