DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:30 AM
Gold Member

Default Triggering

A few questions for you guys that trigger any part of your kit. What is your reason in doing so? Do you consider it cheating in any way if you use triggers to boost the volume of any drum that you trigger (meaning if you play the drum softer but set the trigger to sound very loud)?

I've been thinking about triggering my kick as of late. That's why I'm thinking about it.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Triggering

I use triggers on my bass drums for a few reasons.

The first reason is that I cannot get quite the tone that I want, wherever I want without them.

The second reason is that my second bass drum was damaged during shipping (and it's a 1978 one of a kind kit so I can't replace it) and my bass drums actually sound quite a bit different after the repair.

The third reason is that 200+bpm gets super muddy and using triggers lets all of my hits be defined, which also exposes all my inconsistencies. This is also good for practice since there's no question of if my double bass is steady or not. I even run my module to a midi track and record my practices so i can actually go back and see where each note lands exactly on the grid. It's really really forced me to clean up my playing!

Triggers are the opposite of cheating since without them you can play a lot more sloppy and have it sound passable. You've gotta be good to play with triggers since they expose all of your flaws very clearly.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think that it's cheating.

Do you what you gotta do to play the music you want with the sound you want.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

I am considering triggering my bass drum as well. My only reason is to be able to provide a consistent tone and volume regardless of all other factors.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 PM

I do not yet trigger but I have plastic beaters hitting an aluminum kick pad and can sure attest to needing to be perfect to get things to sound even. Putting that pad on the BD head sure exposed my slop and has allowed me to focus on my timing more than I used to, simply because of how defined the kick is.

I can pound out nice loud hits at 150 or so but once you get into faster speeds, there is simply not time to move the beater that far to get the volume needed. That to me is when triggering becomes necessary. I've also noticed that is where foot motion needs to do something different to go that fast so I have started playing around with double strokes and those sound odd without triggers. Once I can do those without triggers and have them sound somewhat even, I will buy a Roland TM-2 and the kick trigger they make.