DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 AM

Default Karen Carpenter?

I looked at the Drummerworld.com website and even completed a search which only turned up links from the Web. Now then, why isn't Karen Carpenter a featured drummer? As I recall reading that the great Buddy Rich himself stated that Karen was his favorite drummer. I find this lack of Karen on the website a disgrace to her amazing drumming skills, not to mention the fact she was able to still sing and drum without missing a beat.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Question!

I think this particular question has been asked before, but in general:

When drummers aren't featured with their own page it's because Bernhard hasn't gotten around to it, or he hasn't heard about them.

Karen Carpenter happens be on the Wishlist (place where you suggest drummers for Bernhard to make pages for), so I'd suggest it's only a matter of time until she gets a page.

http://www.drummerworld.com/wishlist/C.html

I could be completely wrong too.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Karen Carpenter?

Well, it's been almost 2 years since I posted this question and Karen still hasn't left the wishlist. What a shame.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:04 AM

Let's stage a riot or a boycott or something.

Or maybe you could compile the data you'd put on her page and forward it to Big B. That would expedite the process.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM

Oh Man,

You just "drummed up" some very sad memories and feelings. I fell in love with her just for her sensuous, lazy, laid-back voice, and then again for her percussion. The Carpenters ROCKED, and I don't care who doesn't share my feelings.

She was beautiful and heavily talented in every possible description- she gave rock and "pop" a genre that has yet to be equaled. When Karen passed away, I cried like a baby for a day or 2.

OK, I'll admit it-- I'm all misty-eyed thinking about her now.
I remember going to jail in 1980-something for starting a fistfight with one of Leslie West's (Mountain) roadies who (after too many shots and bong hits) said she was a dyke and a whore. Cost me about $400 in fines, a year's probation, but it cost him a tooth!

May God bless her sweet soul.

C. P.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

On the plus side, Karen's thread in the Drummers section of the forum has three pages.

Guess, you can't have everyone and you'd expect some fine drummers not to be listed - Chris Cutler for one. Never mind, they are greatly appreciated in their circles and that's what matters most. Gongs and DW listings are just one chunk of the icing on the cake.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Pete View Post
Oh Man,

You just "drummed up" some very sad memories and feelings. I fell in love with her just for her sensuous, lazy, laid-back voice, and then again for her percussion. The Carpenters ROCKED, and I don't care who doesn't share my feelings.

She was beautiful and heavily talented in every possible description- she gave rock and "pop" a genre that has yet to be equaled. When Karen passed away, I cried like a baby for a day or 2.

OK, I'll admit it-- I'm all misty-eyed thinking about her now.
I remember going to jail in 1980-something for starting a fistfight with one of Leslie West's (Mountain) roadies who (after too many shots and bong hits) said she was a dyke and a whore. Cost me about $400 in fines, a year's probation, but it cost him a tooth!

May God bless her sweet soul.

C. P.
With you all the way on that CP. One of the all time great female vocalists IMO. Her drumming? Well, I'd rather regard that as a display by someone with so much talent to spare. What a voice though. For me personally, almost up there with Alison Moyet in the distinctive timbre scale.