Joe Morello on Buddy Rich #1

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Joe Morello on Buddy Rich Part 1

dSKF NOTE: Revisiting the transcript of my early 1980's interview with Joe Morello today. Five or six times Joe Morello said some things about Buddy Rich which were new to me. I also found Joe's remarks instructive and/or funny. I will post the remarks separately, by subject, over time.

Joe sat through our entire interview with a pair of drumsticks, sitting near a coffee table on which he had a practice pad. In upcoming posts, Morello demonstrates points he was making about Buddy Rich's playing. Joe did so playing on his practice pad

morello_joe.jpg

Joe Morello: ...Buddy's a good friend of mine. He's always been nice. Buddy and I have always gotten along very well. And we used to fool around together with the sticks.... He's got very good technique. It's not as fast as you would think it is. He looks faster and he sounds faster than he is because he's clean. Everything he does is very clean. There's faster drummers, that's for sure. If you want to just look at it from that. From strictly technically there are much faster drummers, so Jimmy's faster, Louis Bellson's faster....

Scott K Fish: Jim Chapin is faster than Buddy?

JM: Oh yeah. Sure, but Buddy puts it together so beautifully. He builds this picture real nice, y'know.

[Buddy] just does his thing. That's all. He's got great ears. He listens. He hears real well.

I remember when we were in Vegas in 1967. He was still with Harry James then. See, for awhile, as you know, he was buried with Harry James' band. He was with James for quite awhile. When I was winning all the polls and all that s**t, Buddy was coming in like, 12th, 15th. 'Cause he wasn't doing anything. He was just in Las Vegas playing "Ciribiribin," and he'd do a little think on "Caravan," y'know.

I used to meet him on the road once in awhile. I'd say, "Why don't you start your own band?" He'd say, "I'll never start another f*****g band as long as I live." He said, "I'll just play my three hours a night and go home." He told me this in San Francisco. That's when we drove home together and I told him that I knew the way back. Christ! And we got lost. He had a white Jaguar. Oh, Buddy's nuts. He's a nice cat though.

I guess Buddy's still doing very well now, because he's got a good manager.

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Last edited:
Scott, your contribution's to this forum have been a great addition, thanks for sharing these interviews with us. I've enjoyed reading them.

these are really great. I love Joe Morello's style. What is neat to see in these posts is how many great drummers seemed to be 'studying' , and in quite detail, other great drummers. That seems a common thread.

Joe was probably the only person in the world who could have gotten away with saying that Buddy wasn't that fast.

Imagine being so awesome and confident that you would actually say that. Wow.

Back in the early 90's I took a few lessons with Joe in a a place called Percussion Paradice,in of all places,Staten Island.Also teaching there was Jim Chapin.I could scarcely believe it.Two legendary drummers in one ,small out of the way drum shop/studio.I saw Jim play ,up close on the kit and on on practice pads,as I did Joe and Danny Gotlieb.I guess they would have to be side by side,but,all three of those guys could give Buddy a run for his money.But...having said that....Buddy was Buddy,and the guy could drive a band like few others could,.....and that's what it's all about.

But Joe Morello,was one funny dude.:)

Steve B

I ended up getting stuck on Youtube after watching this and watched 2 Morello instruction videos. One thing that struck me as interesting was his R hand technique.

My drum instructor was also a student of GL Stone for about 1 year. He plays with that same turning motion of the R hand when he plays with German grip. I believe the kids are calling it the "Freehand technique" these days. In fact, he corrected my R hand grip during the first lesson, bringing my arm out and correcting the awkward positioning of my hand in the half-assed "American" grip that I had been using. Already feel much better but I have a bit more practice till I'm completely at ease with it. I already noticed am increased endurance as I'm not relying on my wrists for accent strokes.

One thing is for certain, Stone certainly made some damn good drummers in his day.

Back