Toe Stops ROCK!!!

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

Man, funny how little and simple things make a huge difference...

I was scrounging through a box of my oddball bits, pieces, and drum hardware a few days back, and found two (mismatched, but real decent) toe stops for my bass pedals.

Heck, I didn't even know what they were called until I saw them on the Gibraltar parts and hardware website tonight!

These are the little screw-on doohickeys that prevent your toe from going too far forward on the bass drum (or hi-hat) pedals. Some (not all) pedals have a little square hole an inch or so back from the very front of the pedal for mounting these. I bolted mine on, put on the MP3 headphones, and did some serious drumming for a couple hours.

HOLY COW- what a major difference! I could stomp so much more aggressively and precisely than before that I was taken aback. I've always had a problem with my big ol' size 13 feet creeping up the pedals when I play faster, or do more intricate bass pedal riffs. Problem solved. Bada-bing-bada-boom!

If you haven't tried them, I strongly suggest them. If you do use them, let me know if there's any "tweaks" or suggestions for using them.

Thanks Crew,
C. P.

My toes always end up in the chains/straps without stops. I'll never play a pedal without them.

hmmmm...
Have wondered if a stop would make any difference for a long time.
Maybe I will get some for my D Dubs.
Thanks CP

I have ripped all of my toe stoppers off the pedals. Never needed them and never looked back.

I have them on my iron cobras but my dad doesn't have them on his lower end dw pedal and i seem to play much better on his pedal. I've always wanted to take them off mine but i don't have the right tool to do it with.

Hey Crew,

I was scrounging through a box of my oddball bits, pieces, and drum hardware a few days back, and found two (mismatched, but real decent) toe stops for my bass pedals.

Heck, I didn't even know what they were called until I saw them on the Gibraltar parts and hardware website tonight!

These are the little screw-on doohickeys that prevent your toe from going too far forward on the bass drum (or hi-hat) pedals. Some (not all) pedals have a little square hole an inch or so back from the very front of the pedal for mounting these. I bolted mine on, put on the MP3 headphones, and did some serious drumming for a couple hours.

HOLY COW- what a major difference! I could stomp so much more aggressively and precisely than before that I was taken aback. I've always had a problem with my big ol' size 13 feet creeping up the pedals when I play faster, or do more intricate bass pedal riffs. Problem solved. Bada-bing-bada-boom!

If you haven't tried them, I strongly suggest them. If you do use them, let me know if there's any "tweaks" or suggestions for using them.

Thanks Crew,
C. P.

My feet never come anywhere near the ends of the pedals. Quite the contrary, they rarely get much past the mid point of the board

I never been a fan of toe stops... my kick pedal technique for playing fast doubles on a single pedal requires me to "lift and slide" my foot across the board...and while I rarely need to go past even that mounting square, not having a toe stop is even more reassuring.

To each his own! Glad it works for you.

Hey Crew,

Thanks Crew,
C. P.

I got tired of my toes going into the chain. I play heel up, and my foot would even jump over the small toe stops, so I found a pretty good solution. I bought a set of bicycle toe cages and put them on my pedals. They work great for me.

pedal.jpg

Hey MikeG,

AWESOME idea! You should probably market that with drum equipment companies--I'd buy 'em.

Tonight, I recorded my double bass pedal work (speed wise) and clocked 4.45 BPS on the bass pedals--and averaged the speed clocked over 8 minutes of practice. According to my cheapo calculator, that means a BPM of 267. DAMN, not too bad for a 52 year old!

I think I'm doing something right lately, and those toe stops seem to be helping a LOT!
I also raised my drum throne 2-1/2" inches higher, so as to keep me "on my toes", not heels. That also made me adjust my snare and rack toms higher, which seems to be the way to go for me.
I'm 6'4" and have a pretty long reach- both arms and legs. I think I was previously setting everything up too low for efficient use and speed.
Live and learn, I guess...

Cheers,
C. P.

Tonight, I recorded my double bass pedal work (speed wise) and clocked 4.45 BPS on the bass pedals--and averaged the speed clocked over 8 minutes of practice. According to my cheapo calculator, that means a BPM of 267. DAMN, not too bad for a 52 year old!

Even if you made 4.45 beats per second with only one foot it would be only 16th notes @ 133.5 BPM. And what kind of note values are you playing when you get stuff like 4.45 notes per second?

Even if you made 4.45 beats per second with only one foot it would be only 16th notes @ 133.5 BPM. And what kind of note values are you playing when you get stuff like 4.45 notes per second?

I think me meant 267 BPM total, not 16th notes. I'm guessing single pedal?

I have them on my iron cobras but my dad doesn't have them on his lower end dw pedal and i seem to play much better on his pedal. I've always wanted to take them off mine but i don't have the right tool to do it with.
Are you sure? The toe stop on my I.C. pedal can be removed with a regular old drum key.

For quick hits on one pedal I'm really big on the slide technique. Doesn't exactly work with toe stops. I liked them at first, but I'm probably going to pull 'em off soon.

Hey Crew,

JPW- that's per foot. I keep one bass drum tuned slightly lower toned than the other (when I use both bass drums independently) , and can only really judge (or estimate) my speed "per foot" during playback. When using double pedals on the right side bass drum, I have a hard beater on the left pedal, and a felt on the right pedal, so as to keep track on playback.

I hate to sound ignorant (but I probably am!)- but I don't know what the term "note vales" means. (duhhh on my part)

Fill me in, please!

Thanks,
C. P.

Back