Think I found my calling :)

S

savage8190

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi to everyone. This forum was super helpful with finding my first kit, and its only been a couple days but I'm obsessed...

When I started learning guitar, and even now years later, it always feels a bit like a chore. Sometimes its a lot of fun, but a lot of times its so frustrating. I tried bass guitar too, but I just hated it (seems impossible with short fingers). The drums feel so different though...its so fun and stress relieving instead of stress inducing. I cant stop thinking about playing...I just wish my wife would wake up already! :)

I've been reading up on good things to practice and I gather that Stick Control is the best thing to work on. Gotta check it out.

Anyway, happy holidays everyone!

Awesome! Another joins the flock.

Drums CAN be frustrating too, when you are working on certain things, but it is easier to face the frustration if you love playing. Welcome aboard!

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi to everyone. This forum was super helpful with finding my first kit, and its only been a couple days but I'm obsessed...

When I started learning guitar, and even now years later, it always feels a bit like a chore. Sometimes its a lot of fun, but a lot of times its so frustrating. I tried bass guitar too, but I just hated it (seems impossible with short fingers). The drums feel so different though...its so fun and stress relieving instead of stress inducing. I cant stop thinking about playing...I just wish my wife would wake up already! :)

I've been reading up on good things to practice and I gather that Stick Control is the best thing to work on. Gotta check it out.

Anyway, happy holidays everyone!

Hello and welcome to the wonderful addiction of DW and drumming!

Get Mrs Savage playing. Then you can both wake up early and fight over who's playing first.

Stick Control is a wonderful wonderful book but if you're a beginner, it will only suit you if you are incredibly anal. Which some of us are, of course, so I wouldn't want to tell you not to go there, but don't be disheartened if you find that it doesn't set you on fire just yet.

Hello and welcome to the wonderful addiction of DW and drumming!

Get Mrs Savage playing. Then you can both wake up early and fight over who's playing first.

Stick Control is a wonderful wonderful book but if you're a beginner, it will only suit you if you are incredibly anal. Which some of us are, of course, so I wouldn't want to tell you not to go there, but don't be disheartened if you find that it doesn't set you on fire just yet.

Don't think I haven't tried getting her to play something...not her thing unfortunately.

I played through some of stick control today and thought it was fun and challenging. I am SUPER anal, so there ya go ;).

Every musical instrument presents challenges to the musician. Balance having fun with
"working or making progress" and you will get there. Have Fun!

I played through some of stick control today and thought it was fun and challenging. I am SUPER anal, so there ya go ;).

I'm delighted to hear it!

Every musical instrument presents challenges to the musician. Balance having fun with
"working or making progress" and you will get there. Have Fun!

Ya, I didn't mean to make light of the drums...it still definitely takes work, but by comparison to how I always felt with guitar, the work actually feels more fun. I have to force myself to stop so my wife doesn't want to kill me, as opposed to forcing myself to do it :).

The single thing that I've done that has helped me to play the styles of drumming I want to play is just to play along with recordings of the way I wished I could play...over and over...for decades. I find the smaller things that I can't "pull off" from the recordings and then practice them on the side. Copying masters was how I began. I'm very familiar with Stick Control but
believe in the beginning imitation of the styles I wanted to dig into was a bigger help, for me anyways. It's all good and there is just so much stuff out there to dig into...a lifelong journey...the thing is to enjoy the journey! Eventually I got to the place where I'm not sure
where the playing is coming from on live gigs...it just happens...and THAT is a gas!

Awesome you started playing man. If you don't have it already, the first thing I'd recommend getting is a good double bass pedal. It really does make playing a million times better imo

Back