So..what is your LEAST favorite song to play?

Armor of Light

Every band it seems is forced to play 'Mustang Sally' at one point. That is my least favorite...even before I got sick of it.

What's yours? 'Brown eyed Girl'? 'Old Time Rock-n-Roll'?

Smells Like Teen Spirit or In Bloom by Nirvana. Played the crap out of them at a time they were difficult for me and now I can't stand listening to or playing them.

I'm sure I could find a worse one if I tried, but when I played in a coverband I really didn't enjoy the White Stripes song"Seven Nation Army". Definitely not a song for me.

'Old Time Rock-n-Roll'?

Yep.....absolutely detested it when I was gigging. But at least I was able to complain enough to get it dropped.

But my most despised (read: eternal hatred) was reserved for an over played, done to death Aussie track called Run To Paradise by a band called the Choirboys. God I used to cringe three songs out when I saw it coming up on the set list. Still makes me want to shove an HB pencil into each ear canal and dig out my brain, to this day when I hear it. Hate it......hate it.......hate it!!

Let the flames begin...................Stairway to Heaven.The MOST overplayed song on US radio.I love Zep,but.........I just can't listen to it ever again.

Steve B

For a while it was Suzie Q for me. Then I decided to change my attitude and took to looking at the crowd for that song. I had enough brainpower leftover to play the song, and thoroughly check out everyone in the crowd.

Repetitive songs are a pitfall, you can get caught in a trap of sleepwalking through them. I try and avoid that now and think of other things I can do when I have brainpower to spare during a song, like work in a twirl, or check out the fleshy parts of the babettes, make eye contact with people, smile, anything to entertain myself.

I mean what kind of attitude is it when you don't want to play to a certain song? As long as the crowd digs it that's enough for me.

Freebird or Stranglehold. Anything with that much fret wankery kills a dancing crowd. Any other crowd for that matter. Only guitar players are paying attention and discussing how they could play it better. I've got no problem playing standards like Mustang, Brown Eyed, or even Sweet Home (a personal hate-it song), because people are still dancing.

I mean what kind of attitude is it when you don't want to play to a certain song?

Human.

Show me a man who is always content with every single facet of life....no matter how small....and I'll show you a bullshitter. ;-)

Not liking a song or two is hardly throwing the passion for your instrument and your craft out the door. It just means that there are a lot of shitty songs out there and occasionally we have to labour our way through them in order to please the people laying down the money.

Taking Care of Business by BTO and Sweet Home Alabama. I played these TOO DEATH in a band I used to be in. The guitar player had that "you have to play what people like" motto, which is true...but not everyone out there is going to like everything you play. People like stuff other than the same old warhorses every other band plays. If you hate playing it then the fun is sapped out. I might as well be at work if that is the case.

You guys have it easy. Back in the club days I'd sometimes have to play such songs as "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree." I always played them well enough, I guess, but I felt like a real chump.

I'm sure I could find a worse one if I tried, but when I played in a coverband I really didn't enjoy the White Stripes song"Seven Nation Army". Definitely not a song for me.

I'd so much rather play that song than anything Skynrd. I cringe when I hear someone yell "simple man!" let alone "free bird!".

Come Together got old really fast for me. Same with Sweet Child O Mine. It's just a tired old song for me....like Stairway tired.

You guys have it easy. Back in the club days I'd sometimes have to play such songs as "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree." I always played them well enough, I guess, but I felt like a real chump.

Oh ya, that must've stunk. I feel for you, man.

Back