Pain in left hand

Kuzma

I have been playing for 7 months now, and I don't practice at home because I live in apartment, I practice when I have rehearsal, and recently I started having pain in left hand. I don't hit snare really hard, and I don't think I changed my technique but still I have this pain.

My ring finger hurts, and it freezes. I don't even hold the stick with it, but because of it I have hard time playing. Am I doing something wrong or?

I wouldn't mess around with this - seek some medical advice.

It would be easy to suggest you're gripping too tightly or something, but if your finger is "freezing" then it sounds like circulation is being cut off, or some kind of nerve damage. Either way, I wouldn't just hope it goes away.

Regardless of seeing a doctor - make sure your technique is correct. Take 1-2 lessons with a good teacher who will point out any existing flaws. Or get a good tutorial, e.g. JoJo Mayer's superb DVD on hand technique.

Select sticks which make sense for you - not too heavy, maybe a bit on the light side to help avoid hand problems. Don't hit hard. Don't play "into the head/drums". Optimize everything to keep the physical strain of playing to a minimum.

Further suggestions: Listen to your body/hands. If you feel tension building up - be careful, take a break. Also it's a great idea to warm up before getting into the "real" playing, and to learn how to stretch your muscles (those primarily needed for drumming).

BTW, welcome to the forum!

See a doctor,and get at least a couple of lessons.It may be as simple as a bad diet.You may have a vitamin or mineral deficency.Up your potassiun and vitamin D intake.Fresh fruit,especially bananas and milk,or take supplements .Forget the Mc Donalds/Burger King,and taco bell diet.That stuff will kill you.

Steve B

Definitely see a doctor. If nothing is physically wrong, it's time to look at technique. I would agree with what others have posted and get with a teacher and have them take a look at your technique. If there aren't any good teachers in your area, take a look online. More and more teachers are teaching via Skype.

It's important to get with somebody that can SEE your technique and see what changes can be made. Videos can be helpful, but nothing beats somebody taking a look at what you are doing first hand.

See a doctor,and get at least a couple of lessons.It may be as simple as a bad diet.You may have a vitamin or mineral deficency.Up your potassiun and vitamin D intake.Fresh fruit,especially bananas and milk,or take supplements .Forget the Mc Donalds/Burger King,and taco bell diet.That stuff will kill you.

Steve B

Nothing could be more true. In this day and age, self reponsibility for your health is the key. Don't depend on the medical establishment, pharmaceutical companies to be your best friend. ("Ask YOUR doctor how writing endless perscriptions is in his/her best financial interest...") Almost any illness can be attributed to your diet and vitamin and mineral deficiency. Buy a juicer. I love mine.

Back