How's this drum fill work, then?

JNAScarb

fill.jpg

How's that work, then?

I started out thinking it's 1 & then 2 trip let then 3 & then 4 trip let but the first two notes are 16ths aren't they?

So the next idea was
1 e , so then the first triplet is on &, leaving the other two of the triplet on 2 &. But then, that's not a triplet, those would be just eighth notes.

The other revelation is that perhaps the first two counts are, despite how it's written, exactly the same as the final two counts. Is that true?

So, yeah, struggling with this one. If anyone fancies explaining it or even putting something up on AudioBoo http://audioboo.fm/ .. I'm JAScarb on Twitter. I've not used AudioBoo but it seems right for this job.

That's a wierd one. There doesn't seem to be enough notes there to make a triplet over those first two beats. Can you post the whole line that measure is in? Maybe if I see the time signature or other rythms it will make more sense in context. The way it's written there are 5 eights notes in the first two beats of that bar, the first one and fifth one being doubled with 16ths. I am assuming it's in 4/4. That's why I wanted to see more of the piece. If that's a complete measure then it is in 9/8.

Last edited:
I think the first 3 is wrong... should be 5? that's quintuplet 1/8's i think (so 5 1/8s evenly over the two beats (a 1/2 note)), but then subdivide the 1st and last into 2 1/16s. then 3 plain old triplet 1/4s (3 over the space of two beats (again, one 1/2 note).

How to count in your head... /shrug thats nasty.

I think it is probably meant to be a quintuplet as mentioned

Quintuplets I was taught to count "university" over each beat to equally play 5 notes, once this is comfortable add the 16ths on the first and last partial

what is this from anyway?

It's an exercise in the drum fill formula, assume it's all 4/4 as a time signature isn't given. It's only exercise #22, thought it seemed a bit unruly for so early.

Back