Building an effects rack...

Re: Building a effects rack...

no problem sir reply when you get a chance.. lol happy drumming

Re: Building a effects rack...

These days it's easier to do that in the computer. In fact, a lot of third party companies make software plug-ins for traditional effects and dynamics processing. But the more you have the computer do, the more powerful the computer has to be and have as much RAM as it'll take. A friend of mine has a full ProTools set-up, buts it's plugged into a huge desktop Macintosh that at the time was top of the line. But he can run 24-channels with no problem. I'm not sure how much a powerful laptop can handle, I would think 8-channels would be sufficient on a laptop.

It depends but I've seen a 64+ setup on a laptop before. Just a very good laptop running Thunderbolt...

Ohio - get the best interface you can afford. A lot of interfaces now have ADAT in, which lets you connect a further number of channels. My little interface only has two XLR inputs but it can accept an external preamp via ADAT that can add another 8 channel - for a total of 10 XLR inputs. You might be better off just buying a decent 8-channel interface with ADAT capability so that you can eventually have 16 inputs. External preamps are more money but then you only buy one when you need it...

It's much easier to run all your effects from a computer. If you're dealing with outboard and you want to edit using outboard, you'll also need a number of sends on an interface.

The interface I use at work is a Pro Tools HD setup with 16-in, 16-out into a 16-channel (48 input) analogue desk and I can either work fully digitally or mix in the analogue realm, with outboard etc. using Pro Tools as if it were a tape recorder. That's really much more complicated than necessary. When I teach in the studio, I start with just a two-track (stereo) output and mix in the box (digitally). You can get superb results that way and if you buy an external MIDI controller, it can even feel like you're mixing on an analogue desk, with faders, etc.

And the StudioLive gets rave reviews. Never used one but it looks seriously good. Dante, too.

In an unrelated note, if anybody is thinking about using Dante check that you haven't got any network switching hardware between things...

I read the reddit report.

I think i might go with the x32. it seems to be in my price range and most of the reviews claimed x32.

That link is a couple years old so I would imagine the firmware updates are pretty well maxed out and it works better then day 1.

But I think I understand now it has onboard effects and you can control the mixer wireless with ipad which is good if your running your own sound and I can just USB into my laptop from it while im recording myself.

Still would need a snake for live applications so much crap to mic i will have 10 mics on the drums alone.

I think i might go with the x32. it seems to be in my price range and most of the reviews claimed x32.

Still would need a snake for live applications so much crap to mic i will have 10 mics on the drums alone.

Random Notes:

If you're going to be using it for live, make certain to get a decent travel case. If the mixer will be out front, make sure to get a snake reel. Ultimately, you want a setup that makes plugging/unplugging from the mixer unnecessary. Inputs only break when you touch them, so anything that reduces the number of duty cycles is a huge win.

Motorized faders == awesome for studio.

Make certain to save your drum-mix settings scenes. The objective is to plug in, push a button, and have the mixing be 90% complete.

Does the X32 have some form of room control/calibration like the AI has? I see the loudspeaker simulation, but nothing like a Audyssey DynEQ/Vol clone. Room-control has been one of the greatest gifts we've received from Presonus, allowing us to make shows seem louder at a much lower volume.

I use an x32 as a live desk at work (I really am a lucky bugger, Audient ASP 4816 in the studio, x32 upstairs) and I don't think it has room calibration.

I will say that it's just about the easiest and most intuitive digital desk I've ever used. We run it with the S16 snake, which is just fantastic and gives you your channels on Cat5 - great if you're at the back of an auditorium and the band is at the front like with us.

Everything is clearly laid out, the menus are easy to navigate, the EQ is decent, the compressor is decent, the reverbs are decent and the preamps are decent. The motorised faders are great and if you set scenes properly, incredibly useful. One of the most useful things I find with the x32 is being able to re-assign channel inputs. You might have a mic plugged into preamp 1 but want to control it from channel 26 (for instance) and you can quickly and painlessly re-assign it. The coloured and labelled channel strips are great too. It's just a fantastic desk.

If you want it as a studio interface and live desk, get the interface card (it's a bit extra) and use it that way. You don't lose any live capability. You can just plug in a USB stick (up to 8GB, I found out the hard way) and select a buss to record a stereo file from. I usually just use the master. Useful for capturing live shows but you don't have any mixdown capability afterwards - just a stereo track.

I will honestly say that it's the best live desk I've ever used for ease of use and quality of result. I usually hate digital desks for live use but the x32 is very much the exception. And it's not that expensive, either.

That link is a couple years old so I would imagine the firmware updates are pretty well maxed out and it works better then day 1.

But I think I understand now it has onboard effects and you can control the mixer wireless with ipad which is good if your running your own sound and I can just USB into my laptop from it while im recording myself.

You do not need a snake if you have the mixer on stage (I have mine right next to my drums). You can control it remotely with an iPad or similar. I'm sure it'll all become clear once you've got your hands on it.

Anyway, would be interested to know how you get on with the Behringer :)

PS, if you want to be sure, I'd advise trying both the Behringer and the A&H if you can before buying. They have quite different interfaces from what I hear, and you might find you prefer one over the other. Both will have pros and cons, and a bit of a learning curve. At the end of the day though, it is down to you.

Best of luck with it!

Back