8" tom: Vintage Pearl Export vs. Pearl World Series

HokosPokos

How rare is a red 8" Pearl Export/World Series tom from the 80's? How much is a fair price?

I'm asking because I want to add the final piece (okey, after an 18" floor tom and an extra kick..) to my Pearl World Series kit. From what I understand Pearl didn't make a whole lot of 8" World Series toms. So if one would come up on ebay, I probably won't afford it. So my idea was to get an Export from the same period instead.

I've been looking at pictures and it looks like the Export line and World Series used the same lugs, no? And the finish looks really similar too. So I think I would be able to get away with it.

What do you boys and girls think?

they are close enough to get away with it. no one even notices on my kit that I have some original Ludwig lugs and a lot of aftermarket style lugs. the wrap is the same and that's all people ( non drummers) really see. the world series is a step above the export, as far as an 8 inch tom, the sound shouldnt be any different. I have a 9pc. world series and always thought my 10 was the smallest they made. pretty cool if they have an 8.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I don't think I have ever seen a picture of a full kit with an 8" tom but I've seen pictures of a separate 8". The only thing I think is not the same, part from the wood, is the badge. World Series has a gold background and Export has black.

I have actually found an 8" World Series (!) online. But it's black and on an Indonesian trading site. Plus, the ad is about a year old. He sells it for really cheap though...

Back