Encouragement!

PlayTheSong

Subbed for a big band well above my current level. I was intimidated but determined not to chicken out, whatever the results. I did my homework and actually pulled it off. Made new contacts, got some flattering comments. For many of you, this will seem kinda lame, getting all excited when it's not even an audition. But for me, it was a TRIUMPH! PS: They are still above my level really, but I learned the arrangements and read like a mad thing, which proved more valuable to them than skill alone.

Not lame here!! We all doubt our abilities from time to time and some positive reinforcement is a great thing. You have probably gotten yourself a repeat subbing at one time down the road, and for that I say well done.

Thanks Gruntersdad - and you're right. They have a list of 6-7 subbing drummers and they said in future I get the first call! Thanks for sharing my excitement!

Pretty cool. Preparation pays off - and doing things outside of our comfort zone boosts confidence and development. Encouragement indeed. Good job!

Subbed for a big band well above my current level. I was intimidated but determined not to chicken out, whatever the results. I did my homework and actually pulled it off. Made new contacts, got some flattering comments. For many of you, this will seem kinda lame, getting all excited when it's not even an audition. But for me, it was a TRIUMPH! PS: They are still above my level really, but I learned the arrangements and read like a mad thing, which proved more valuable to them than skill alone.
Congratulations! I agree, not lame. You put in the work and did it right. Talent will take you somewhere, but hard work will take you everywhere.
...well, okay, talent AND hard work will take you further, but I got a little short changed on the talent part, so sometimes I just have to rely on hard work. ;)

Not even close to lame. You saw it as a challenge, went for it and it payed off. Good for you!

If lame = fantastic, exciting and a job well done, then yeah that's as lame as it comes, and I'd like a bit of lame too. Congratulations!

Playing with a big band is not an easy task. I guess most of us - well, me at least - would fail miserably, because it is a completely different thing than playing with three or four other guys in a small combo. Lots of preparation is needed and you really need to be able to read notes for the arragements fluently. Hat's off to you.

Wow, thanks for all the reinforcement folks! My family didn't get that it was a big deal so it was fabulous to share it here and hear back from others who understand what it means to a lowly drummer trying to overcome the nerves and take a step forward. Best of all, it was FUN!!

Wow, thanks for all the reinforcement folks! My family didn't get that it was a big deal so it was fabulous to share it here and hear back from others who understand what it means to a lowly drummer trying to overcome the nerves and take a step forward. Best of all, it was FUN!!

Hey man, serious heartfelt congratulations to you. YOU DID IT! I have to give you a ton of credit, I don't know if I would have even attempted it, I know nothing about big band music. So you're my hero now.

No one understand how drummers feel except other drummers. That's why I'm here a lot. Drummers are very supportive of one another, another really great thing. The feeling you have after pulling that gig off..you probably feel like shouting from a mountaintop how great it feels....but you don't. You would hope that someone in your immediate family would automatically share in your feeling of accomplishment without any prodding, but they likely don't understand how deeply satisfying it is either.

So way to go on the big band sub thing. It's really cool seeing people like you, coming here, because they're starting over playing drums, and then to hear of their successes. I get off on it, it's real.

Like when Madge first started with us here, I don't think she ever drummed before, but drums interested her IIRC. Now Madge is a card carrying drummer who is out there doing it. Mary O is another success story, except she realized after playing drums that she is a fine singer. Now she does that. The whole transition people go through is high entertainment for me, and very satisfying. I love the positive-ness of drumming and especially Drummerworld.

We really do have a great thing here.

Congrats Playthesong! I love personal triumphs too. It's really a great experience to play out of your comfort zone and play with really good musicians. A number of years ago I had the same opportunity to play for a Big Band too-I don't read music so I had to study and memorize the music and make cheat sheets to keep up with it. These were real musicians and I knew I wasn't in the same league but I was honored to do it and it really forced me to step up to the plate. It really is a great feeling-I remember the exhilaration of it all now. Thanks for sharing your triumph-it does feel good and brings me so Deja vu.

The feeling you have after pulling that gig off..you probably feel like shouting from a mountaintop how great it feels....but you don't. You would hope that someone in your immediate family would automatically share in your feeling of accomplishment without any prodding, but they likely don't understand how deeply satisfying it is either.

I love the positive-ness of drumming and especially Drummerworld.

We really do have a great thing here.

Couldn't have said it better Uncle Larry - thanks.

Sometimes the biggest obstacle to being successful is getting yourself out there, and believing you've got what it takes. I know the exact feeling you're describing, and nothing beats it. Congratulations on the accomplishment, and I hope you have many hours of enjoyment playing in your new sitch.

Of course its a big deal! Congratulations, that's very cool....

It's as Larry said. People don't understand drummers, not even family. They hear noise. We hear happiness, sadness, anger, joy, pain...You say this on another forum and there will be laughter. However, we know full well what happens when we misinterpret what the music is attempting to communicate, or somehow fail to communicate it correctly. Drumming is as much about feel as it is skill, so yeah, it's a pretty big deal. Especially when you get a chance like the OP to play outside your comfort zone....then invited back anytime. There's no point coming down off that cloud. Time for an umbrella drink for sure. :)

Drumming is as much about feel as it is skill,

This is a great quote. I try and develop my skills so I can better communicate my feel.

A drummers feel...pretty much describes that drummer more than anything else I'd say.

At the end of the day, after all is said and done...is there anything more important than how the music feels?

What the other's have said and congrats.
Realizing that you're playing with other's who may be a "above your level" is a true sign of a maturity that will serve you well in your growth as a player.
Nice to hear that your first on the sub-list as well!

Update - I've subbed for that big band a couple of times now and have been invited to sub elsewhere as a result. Yesterday the leader asked if they could include my bio + photo on their website as an alternate member.

It's a little thing but it makes me happy! I'll have to change my signature below now.

Back