DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-17-2019, 01:30 AM

Default DW collectors series?

I just picked up a 2002 DW kit. The badges just say DW all maple. I am Nader the impression that these are collectors series before DW started making all the other lines. Any info would be appreciated. I snagged the. For $1200. I would post a picture but I canít seem to figure that out
Old 04-17-2019, 02:17 AM

Default Re: DW collectors series?

It can only be one of two series being from that year. Its either a Collectors or a Workshop. Easy to tell the difference. Round Lugs with round badges and re-rings is a Collectors. Oval lugs with oval badges that say "Workshop" and straight wall shells is a Workshop.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:37 AM
Platinum Member

Like this ??

Old 04-17-2019, 02:45 AM

If they're like the picture above, they are definitely the flagship series, or what would later become the Collector's series. I have a DW Snare from 2001-2002, and it has a black badge just like that.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBitePrettyHard View Post
If they're like the picture above, they are definitely the flagship series, or what would later become the Collector's series. I have a DW Snare from 2001-2002, and it has a black badge just like that.
I bought my first DW Collectors in 1997 and they were already called Collectors. I still have some old brochures I got at the same time that say the name Collectors on the cover. This pre Collectors thing has gotten a little weird in the last ten years. I remember them as Collectors as far back as '92-'93 when they first got on my radar. Maybe somtime back in the 80's might be "pre" Collectors but the stuff from the 90's on definitely is Collectors Series with the exception of the Worshop series from '00-'02 and the newer Performance and Design series.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:36 AM

Yup round lugs, round badge. Feels like a great find but they still donít sound as good as my Mapex Orion classics but I think with some new heads I will be happy.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcod View Post
Yup round lugs, round badge. Feels like a great find but they still donít sound as good as my Mapex Orion classics but I think with some new heads I will be happy.

I have a friend who has probably owned over 50 drum sets in his tenure as a drum player. He swears up and down that DW drums ONLY sound their best with the DW factory heads on the toms.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I have a friend who has probably owned over 50 drum sets in his tenure as a drum player. He swears up and down that DW drums ONLY sound their best with the DW factory heads on the toms.
Interesting. I'm on my 6th different set of heads now (Evans clear EC2, I've already gone through coated and uncoated G1 and G2, and UV1). I think #7 will be DW heads.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
And that's the joy of owning gear and opinions. I have 2 DW kits and my preference are Evans heads: single ply on the 8" and 10" toms, double plies on the 12", 14", 16" -accompanied with thicker reso on the 16".

I've gone through various Remo and Evans heads on them, including the DW single ply heads (essentially Ambassadors). I could get the kits to sound good, but not exactly how I wanted, hence the switch/evolution to graduated thicknesses.

To the OP, check the joint on the reinforcement rings. If it's a finger joint, they're DW shells. If the joints are flat, butt joints, they're Keller shells.

DW finger joint:

Keller butt joint:
Old 04-17-2019, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting...I thought the stock DW heads were absolute rubbish! Goes back to the YMMV thing. Here’s something else...while tge DW maples are very nice and well made drums, they have their sound. It’s quite possible, they just aren’t your thing. Their sound is more in the low thuddy range and you may be looking for brighter, punchier.

I know everyone keeps saying it’s all about heads and tuning, but nothing convinced me more that it’s not all about heads and tuning till 1) I played a beat to death Star Classic b/b with okay G2s in a studio and I was blown away by their punch and clarity. 2) got my Brooklyns, moved my heads to them and tuned up to the same using tune-bot and they had a punch in the face, kick to the gut sound I’d never experienced before. Just a thought!

Last edited by AzHeat; 04-17-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I know everyone keeps saying itís all about heads and tuning, but nothing convinced me more that itís not all about heads and tuning till 1) I played a beat to death Star Classic b/b with okay G2s in a studio and I was blown away by their punch and clarity. 2) got my Brooklyns, moved my heads to them and tuned up to the same using tune-bot and they had a punch in the face, kick to the gut sound Iíd never experienced before. Just a thought!
Agree 100%. Tuning is a prerequisite, otherwise you won't be able to make any kit sound good. But you can't get any sound you want by just changing heads and tuning. You need to have shells that get you most of the way there from the beginning.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:11 AM

The Reeve ring is the first thing I checked. Itís definitely a finger jointed DW. I think I did OK on them but weíll see when I actually get to play them in a live situation
Old 04-18-2019, 10:03 PM

I was under the impression the black badged kits are Keller shells?
Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus Mutation View Post
Not all. The transition was at the beginning of the 2000s. By the time the gold badge was being used, everything was DW shell.

When in doubt, check the joint on the reinforcement rings.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:43 PM

Nice Lee-Bro, I like quality information.
Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus Mutation View Post
There are two versions of the black badge. Black with gold lettering and then later black with silver lettering. The black and silver are DW manufactered shells. Not sure if the black and gold were all Keller or not,
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
There are two versions of the black badge. Black with gold lettering and then later black with silver lettering. The black and silver are DW manufactured shells. Not sure if the black and gold were all Keller or not,
There were even three black badges.

The first was this one (until 1993/1994), then came the black/brass (introduced around 1993/1994) then the black/chrome (1993/1994 until approx. 2000/2001), then the black/gold (introduced around 2000/2001) and now the white badges.

I believe the black/brass badges were the last ones having Keller shells.
Old Today, 03:41 AM

It's my understanding this is the order of the badges. My 2001 Keller-shell DW snare has the black & chrome badge (3rd one), my 2005 kit has the gold badges (4th), and 2017 kit has the black on silver (5th).

In regards to other discussions about logos getting bigger on heads and cymbals, notice how the latest iteration the DW on the badge is about as big as it can get w/o the badge actually getting larger.

Old Today, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

DW drums are awesome in every way imaginable.

They have a sound of their own.
Old Today, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
DW drums are awesome in every way imaginable.
Except maybe the price. ;)
Old Today, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
It's my understanding this is the order of the badges. My 2001 Keller-shell DW snare has the black & chrome badge (3rd one), my 2005 kit has the gold badges (4th), and 2017 kit has the black on silver (5th).

In regards to other discussions about logos getting bigger on heads and cymbals, notice how the latest iteration the DW on the badge is about as big as it can get w/o the badge actually getting larger.

That is the right order.

I had 1st gen badge kit and brass snare (mid/late 80's), 3th gen badge 12 edge snare, a 4th gen edge snare and now owning a 4th gen kit (2003, 2007).

Interesting enough, the DW/Craviotto snares kept the black/brass2nd generation badges up until 2002 after which JC started on his own (I have one with his signature, made in that year)