Beginners Drum course?

BobbyHill

Hi. Newbie here. Been playing about 4 hours, lol.

I'm just asking if anyone (Ideally a beginner that progressed) that can recommend an on-line drum course that starts from complete beginner.

Free, paid or otherwise. I know there are lots of videos on youtube - but on browsing through I haven't found a linear course - so I spent lots of time just jumping from one thing to the next which is terrible for someone like me (easy distracted and undisciplined - as an ex school report states).

That's all for now. Thanks.

Since you seem to have the money, the first thing you do is go get an actual lesson with a teacher.

After that and you have an idea of what you want to do, there's a plethora of material available. Some classic books and play-a-longs would be the best bet there. There's very little new under the sun, but there are a few things that make things more fun.

A teacher will help you with technique and other foundation.

In addition you sort of just have to get behind the kit and do it. Does not have to be complicated, but it eventually has to sound and feel good. Then you slowly add to that depending on need and preference.

I agree the Drumeo stuff is great. I have some of their stuff from before they were actually Drumeo.

I would recommend supplementing any online lessons with a in person lesson every once in a while as well. Just to make sure you can get some feedback, and you aren't developing bad habits or anything like that.

I agree the Drumeo stuff is great. I have some of their stuff from before they were actually Drumeo.

I would recommend supplementing any online lessons with a in person lesson every once in a while as well. Just to make sure you can get some feedback, and you aren't developing bad habits or anything like that.

Drum teachers, that teach beginners, don’t teach lessons “once in a while”. It’s every week, or not at all. You have to show at least that much maturity and commitment.

I totally agree with this for sure. Get some hands on input from an actual face to face type human.

A whole 4 hours! LOL Excellent.

I noticed these guys have lots of videos on Youtube.

They also have a subscription to their website for 29$ (US) a month.

I'm wondering if the paid option is worth it for a beginner, bearing in mind their YouTube vids are already out there for 'free'.

There may be some information and intertainment in those free vids, more like a clinic, but the real courses made by those artist are what you get access to as a member.

I know you didn't ask about a book, but I recommend "A Funky Primer". It was a great source of beats presented in an easy to read and follow format for me when first learning, but it was the book I used as homework for my weekly lessons. I agree that there is no substitute for one on one and feedback. Good luck!

You freely admit that you are "easily distracted and undisciplined."
I think that is an area of concern that should be addressed well before considering studying a musical instrument, as it may affect many aspects of your life.

Being basically a beginner, I've been drumming for 2 years. I started with YouTube. Loads of great information. I got in the bad habit of just wanting to play songs. I really wasn't practicing and getting better.
I started with Drumeo. I lasted a month. Nothing too due with content. More ,it will sound silly ,I just never meshed with way it was presented(more like by who)
I moved to Mike's Lessons where I am currently. I like the presentation. I've improved so much in 3 months (I try to practice at least and hour a day ,Pad and Set.)
Compared to the price of individual lessons, the online is very inexpensive. If you're a very organized person, free Youtube will work for a long time if you have a plan.
But, I'm going seek a local Instructor. I think it will be very valuable .

Being basically a beginner, I've been drumming for 2 years....free Youtube will work for a long time if you have a plan.
But, I'm going seek a local Instructor. I think it will be very valuable .

The thing is if you are beginner you can not have a plan (you are not able), even if you are "intermediate" since most guys who think are intermediate ARE NOT.

Great that you finally realized to get a teacher, ´though you´ll be confronted with similar problems...

In an old post I wrote what I consider the guidelines for that (getting a teacher), I just copy them again:

1 - Go to the Jazz departament of the local University and start asking at the drum students and drum teachers alike who are the best drum teachers AND players in town. Don´t arrange anything yet, just colect the names you get. Write their names and find out their telephone numbers.

2 - Go to the local jazz club, the main one, or the two majors ones, and ask who are the MAIN drummers in town. Write their names and find out their telephone numbers.

If people of 1 and 2 don´t teach ASK THEM for reccomendations too!

3 - Check out the Internet for guys from your city offering their service as teachers in Internet (they must have videos showing their proficiency PLAYING), and if they have VIDEOS of students to show too even better. The teacher TO START has to be a great player.

With all these three sources NOW start to get in action, interviewing, taking a lesson with the ones that impress you the best, etc.

4 - Study with me on-line (you can watch me playing at my site EX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-t0XzNlIdu8 , watch students I produced on VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTCxU8chn-4 and interview me too (Facebook, Skype, etc.).

Otherwise your chances on doing the wrong thing will be at least HIGH!

Best regards!

Last edited:
Online beginner courses are ok, but a real teacher helps get you on the right path.

Many of these courses show you a few grooves and fills, but leave things out as well. Everyone learns different.

I find online stuff better for intermediate/advanced drummers to be honest that KNOW what they need to practice and learn. I have recently taken a few personalized online lessons but they are more concepts with a few stickings. You learn a lot more that way than learning a "lick"

If you can do both, online and a teacher is good too.

Mike Johnston's "Mikes Lessons" is pretty good. Drumeo is also good with a lot of content.

Either way though having someone look at what you are doing wrong is a big help you don't get from watching online.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately living in a small town there isn't an array of teaching options (there's not even a University). And travelling 1hr to the nearest one isn't time or cost effective.

I managed to take a few lessons with 'someone that plays the drums', but, well to be honest I don't think they are the greatest teacher, but when you're a beginner I guess everyone that's better than you can at least teach you something to some degree.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately living in a small town there isn't an array of teaching options (there's not even a University). And travelling 1hr to the nearest one isn't time or cost effective.

I managed to take a few lessons with 'someone that plays the drums', but, well to be honest I don't think they are the greatest teacher, but when you're a beginner I guess everyone that's better than you can at least teach you something to some degree.

I just want to say that it takes about two years to sound OK on drums. So don't give up if your progress seems slow.

Hi there BobbyHill.

Well, you've asked a big question.

I think it really depends on your commitment level and if you perceive it as being a long term thing.

So....... ultimately as mentioned, a GOOD drum teacher is a no-brainer.

However, there is so much free stuff online....book extracts, fill exercises, rudiment charts, full drum lessons etc etc. It can actually PREVENT you from improving with so many options as you don't know where to start and you do a bit of this and a bit of that.

A drum teacher will formulate a practice routine plan that will enable you to concentrate on the real good simple stuff.

Maybe just until you get your head around the basics, just try to avoid the online stuff for now.

Give yourself a bit of time to get your basics (time, feel, rudiments) sorted THEN look online to expand on your concepts that you've learned from your teacher.

Back