Vintage Ambassadors as resos???

Bull

Gold Member
Just ordered new heads. I've been using Vintage Emperors for batters and absolutely love them. It's definitely time to replace them.To go along with them,I ordered some Vintage Ambassadors for the resos.
Anyone tried this combo?

That sounds AWESOME. No, I haven't tried it, but I sure would like to know how it goes. If I were you I'd try to keep the two heads at about the same pitch, that way you can take full advantage of that colossal head combination.

2 ply reso? Interesting. Would like to hear how it sounds

2 ply but still only slightly thicker than a regular Ambassador. Out of necessity,I've used an Emp as a reso on a 16" floor tom. It was workable. I thought I would experiment this time.

2 ply but still only slightly thicker than a regular Ambassador. Out of necessity,I've used an Emp as a reso on a 16" floor tom. It was workable. I thought I would experiment this time.

Actually the thickness(let's say two 5 mil plys) is not the boogie man, it's the 2 plys. They don't resonate as well as one 10 mil ply will/would. But if you're looking to tame things down...

We are talking 14/16/18 here. I am thinking they might be similar to what Paice/Bonham/Powell might have had on the bottom of their kits.

I love the Vintage Es but the Vintage As kinda totally blow. The worst part is that the 2 plys are very different thicknesses ones is like 6 mil and the other 1.5. This makes for weird sympathetic vibrations between the two and takes away the benefits of reg ambassador or V emperor.

I'm sure someone will like them but most people will be better off with different heads. On the plus side the vintage lines have excellent QC.

Well, I'm always one to give a "thumbs up" to experimentation. So, good luck, there.​
I started drumming in 1966, and I don't remember the 2 ply Ambassador at all. I think that head left the scene well before Paice/Bonham/Powell started recording. I remember the Ambassador being a single ply, and the Emperor, the two ply. And in the land of Remo, there weren't too many other heads, that I remember. There was the Controlled Sound, and the Diplomat. Pinstripe didn't hit the market, until around 1974, and we all made our own richie rings (there was no Powerstroke). And felt strips were used, a lot.​

Yeah,I didn't get my first Ambassador until '77. So, I have no idea when they became single ply. We'll see how this works out.

Finally got around to putting them on. I like them quite a bit. Ever so slightly more controlled than a regular A and a little warmer sounding.Might be too much for smaller toms. I am dealing with 14/16/18/. They still roar.

After more experimenting,I am not quite as enthused. The first tuning that I tried was pretty low, They sounded really good but I am just used to a more live sound.

Next ,I cranked them up. I was trying to bring a bit of the Bonham out of them. They don't suit that tuning at all. There's no life in them. They are very dead and boxy.

I guess I will be being some regular coated Ambassadors soon. :)

Last edited:
Tried this combo with the exact same combo (Vintage Emp over Vintage Amb) with the hope of getting that Bonham/Paice kind of sound.

They do not like to be tuned up high at all...lifeless is how I would describe them...very dead and boxy,

After more experimenting,I am not quite as enthused. The first tuning that I tried was pretty low, They sounded really good but I am just used to a more live sound.

Next ,I cranked them up. I was trying to bring a bit of the Bonham out of them. They don't suit that tuning at all. There's no life in them. They are very dead and boxy.

I guess I will be being some regular coated Ambassadors soon. :)

Thanx Bull.....What do you use on your BD?? I have a 70s 14X20 3 ply that needs heads to go with my toms Vin. Emps over clear Amps. sound good to me in my small living room

Thanx Bull.....What do you use on your BD?? I have a 70s 14X20 3 ply that needs heads to go with my toms Vin. Emps over clear Amps. sound good to me in my small living room

Vintage Emps are my favorite tom heads.

My kick is 16x26. I am still experimenting. I probably need a bit more control than you do. Right now,I have a Powerstroke 4 on the batter and a smooth white Ambassador on the reso side with a Kickport. There's no additional muffling. I prefer unported. I ported it as an experiment. It was new head time and I figured I would port the old head to see what I could get out of it. It totally neutered the drum. I added the Kickport to bring some balls back. It is still lacking, IMO, but the guys in the band love it. I have to admit it does sound better in front of the kit. It's just not the sound I bought a 26 for.

I am still waiting on an Aquarian Superkick2 and an unported Regulator to show up. If I don't like that,I'm going back to to Emperor/Ambassador and felt strips. The I swear i am just gonna stop.....no .....really......I am.......no more experimenting.........really.......I can do it....

Back