DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-29-2017, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin.

Thank you for taking the time doing the hearing-experiment. I really appreciate it. I agree to your last argument but I think itīs still a good practice trying to stay within these parameters.

Still some questions left ;) : In the song "In Exile" you first play a groove with side-stick and then later change to rim-shot on the snare drum. How do you get them to (almost) equal volume? Is it solely by playing or do you use also volume-automation or anything?

You said that if you have an idea you either record it and/or write it down. What happens next? Do you really practice them all (Iīm sure you got a lot) or try to apply them directly in current songs your working on? In other words: How do you effectively manage to incorporate your new ideas into your playing? :)

Thank you so much!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:49 PM

Hi Gavin,

I saw you with King Crimson last week in LA, and I have to say, what an incredible show overall – and an incredible performance by you (and Pat and Jeremy too, don't want to leave them out!). I really liked all of your grooves, fills and solos, especially your intricate double-bass interplay with the toms in a few spots. I also liked how your solo on 21st Century Schizoid Man has evolved since the Radical Action recording.

So I have a few questions, and I apologize if you’ve answered any of these before. First, how did you first get the KC gig? Did you have to audition, or did they seek you out based on your PT and other work? Once on board, since there’s so much percussion going on, did you and the other drummers have to decide who was playing what, or was that all pretty much figured out before you joined? I know Pat has been playing with them for a long time, so I’m guessing he’s playing what he always has – but who knows, he may have wanted to change things up.

It also looks like you were playing the main groove on a lot of the songs, with Pat and Jeremy adding fills and counter grooves on top. Did they initially have you in mind for playing the lead groove on these songs, or did it evolve that way? There were also a number of spots where it’s just Pat playing and you’re sitting out. During these times, are you just watching and enjoying the show (like the rest of us), or are you thinking about/mentally preparing for other things? I’m also curious as to what you have going on in your IEMs. I remember reading a while back that you had cues (i.e. count offs for section changes) and other tidbits in your IEMs for PT. Are you doing something similar with KC?

Finally, this is almost more of a question for Pat, but you may know the answer. During the slow middle section of Starless, he’s cranking on some handheld percussion thing that looks like a tiny teapot-sized drum with a string hanging out of it. Do you know what this is? I have no idea, but I like the eerie, creaky sound it produces.

Can’t wait to see you play again! Any chance Pineapple Thief will make it to LA at some point?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2017, 12:58 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

HI Robert Schmidt

Still some questions left ;) : In the song "In Exile" you first play a groove with side-stick and then later change to rim-shot on the snare drum. How do you get them to (almost) equal volume? Is it solely by playing or do you use also volume-automation or anything?

I try to balance them as much as I can in my playing (especially for the over head mics) but a bit of compression always helps.

You said that if you have an idea you either record it and/or write it down. What happens next? Do you really practice them all (Iīm sure you got a lot) or try to apply them directly in current songs your working on? In other words: How do you effectively manage to incorporate your new ideas into your playing? :)

I practise them for a while to see how they develop and what permutations might be useful to me. Occasionally I look through the older films and manuscripts and see if I can still remember them. Some things make their way into my drumming - some are just exercises. All of them are useful to me in some way or another. I don't bother to record them unless I think there's something interesting, new or unusual going on.

Hi TK-421

I saw you with King Crimson last week in LA, and I have to say, what an incredible show overall – and an incredible performance by you (and Pat and Jeremy too, don't want to leave them out!). I really liked all of your grooves, fills and solos, especially your intricate double-bass interplay with the toms in a few spots. I also liked how your solo on 21st Century Schizoid Man has evolved since the Radical Action recording.

Thanks. I always try to improvise a new solo every show.

So I have a few questions, and I apologize if you’ve answered any of these before. First, how did you first get the KC gig?

2006-2007 Robert Fripp supported Porcupine Tree - so I got to know him a bit and he got to see me play quite a lot. In 2008 he invited me to join KC alongside Pat Mastelotto. There was no audition.

Once on board, since there’s so much percussion going on, did you and the other drummers have to decide who was playing what, or was that all pretty much figured out before you joined? I know Pat has been playing with them for a long time, so I’m guessing he’s playing what he always has – but who knows, he may have wanted to change things up.

In 2008 Pat and I worked hard trying to find interesting 'double drum' parts - some of which we still use now. Songs like "Construction Of Light" for example we still play our 2008 parts and Jeremy is added on top of that. Arranging for 3 drummers is quite a challenge - and something that I've spent a lot of time working on. When the three of us get together we try all kinds of things and re-arrange certain parts until we like the way they sound and feel.

It also looks like you were playing the main groove on a lot of the songs, with Pat and Jeremy adding fills and counter grooves on top. Did they initially have you in mind for playing the lead groove on these songs, or did it evolve that way?

No - that's just the way it evolved.

There were also a number of spots where it’s just Pat playing and you’re sitting out. During these times, are you just watching and enjoying the show (like the rest of us), or are you thinking about/mentally preparing for other things?

I just sit still and enjoy the show.

I’m also curious as to what you have going on in your IEMs. I remember reading a while back that you had cues (i.e. count offs for section changes) and other tidbits in your IEMs for PT. Are you doing something similar with KC?

There's no 'cue' track going on because there's no computer track running during the KC performance. There's certainly times where it might help some of us - but it wouldn't really work in this set up so we have to memorise the arrangements - and that takes a lot of rehearsing and concentrating.

During the slow middle section of Starless, he’s cranking on some handheld percussion thing that looks like a tiny teapot-sized drum with a string hanging out of it. Do you know what this is? I have no idea, but I like the eerie, creaky sound it produces.

One of Pat's special duties is the weird and wonderful world of effect percussion. Some of them are oddities (such as the thing you described and I don't know what it's called) and some are sample based triggered from electronic pads. He's very good with this kind of thing.

Can’t wait to see you play again! Any chance Pineapple Thief will make it to LA at some point?

We'd love to come to the States - but at the moment I don't think it would be viable.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-06-2017, 06:10 PM

Thanks so much Gavin for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
There's no 'cue' track going on because there's no computer track running during the KC performance. There's certainly times where it might help some of us - but it wouldn't really work in this set up so we have to memorise the arrangements - and that takes a lot of rehearsing and concentrating.
I can't imagine how long that must have taken, as there are a lot of complex arrangements to memorize! It didn't look like you were referencing a chart or cheat sheet, so I'm assuming it was 100% memorized. Very impressive!

Quote:
We'd love to come to the States - but at the moment I don't think it would be viable.
It's too bad that Pineapple Thief isn't more well-known in the States, because I'd really love to see that. I've been listening to that band since around 2010, and I've never met anyone who'd ever heard of them, even among my prog friends. But everyone I've turned onto the band have really liked them.

BTW, are you considered a full member of Pineapple Thief, or are you working with them as a sideman?

Last edited by TK-421; 07-06-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:02 PM

Hi Gavin,

Was the drum track for the big-band arrangement of Sound of Muzak / So Called Friend recorded in one take? I imagine your arms must have been burning after that one! While I love that whole album, I think that's probably my favourite (although Hatesong / Halo comes close)! Truly inspiring.

Also, I noticed yesterday that you'll be doing a lesson on Drumeo on August 21st! This is fantastic news! Can you tell us a little of what we can expect content-wise? Holding out for some Ed Poole or big-band performances! Your explanations of rhythmic illusions are always clear, detailed and concise. Always a pleasure to learn from you!

Hope it goes well!

By the way, I feel like I should go ahead and link the new Pineapple Thief live blu-ray trailer for those who haven't seen it because it looks brilliant! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x82LzREafyI It also includes both "Your Wilderness" and "8 Years Later" in surround and hi-res! Very excited.

Cheers,
Quinn

Last edited by Lightbulb_Sun; 07-06-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:58 AM

Hi Gavin,
I hope you are doing well and enjoying the tour with King Crimson.
I have been listening a lot to your playing with Mick Karn and found
this track on his 'Collector's Edition' compilation CD.
What is the story with that intro fill? It sounds like the speed of triplets but I'm not sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siiKF5sU800

Thanks for any explanation you can give.

Cheers,
Clint

Last edited by Clint Hopkins; 07-08-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Hi Gavin,
On your Rhythmic Illusion DVD. With your close mic Tom tracks during mix down, did you cut 5-7 db at 350Hz range? Or a different frequency?
Thanks.

Last edited by Stevesmithfan; 07-12-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:13 PM

Hi Gavin,

actually by accident I stumbled upon the name "Helmo Hairdo Hudson". It was mentioned as your alias for the work on "The Kings Of Oblivion - Big Fish Popcorn" and even KCīs "The Elements". (Source: https://www.discogs.com/de/artist/19...-Hairdo-Hudson) What is the story behind this nickname and why didnīt you keep it? Or is this like your producer alter ego?

I heard of studio drummers replacing the original drummer of a band only in a recording situation but they werenīt mentioned anywhere on the album. I guess one can call it "ghost drumming". Do you know about this or did you even do (did) ghost drumming jobs (in your past) - so that the record does not appear on your recordings-list?

Can you imagine that bands performing these days entirely (or maybe 90%) playback on a big rock show? (Reason: I heard a big popular band on a festival recently and I got the feeling that everything (even the drums, maybe not the cymbals though) was not live...the drummer played primarily e-drums (which would explain the constant + clean sound) but also the time just sounded not like a human to me.)

Greetings Robert
Old 07-14-2017, 12:48 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi TK-421

BTW, are you considered a full member of Pineapple Thief, or are you working with them as a sideman?

it's a good question !

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

Was the drum track for the big-band arrangement of Sound of Muzak / So Called Friend recorded in one take? I imagine your arms must have been burning after that one! While I love that whole album, I think that's probably my favourite (although Hatesong / Halo comes close)! Truly inspiring.

I would have played up until there was a stop for sure - but that tune was probably the hardest on the album.

Also, I noticed yesterday that you'll be doing a lesson on Drumeo on August 21st! This is fantastic news! Can you tell us a little of what we can expect content-wise? Holding out for some Ed Poole or big-band performances! Your explanations of rhythmic illusions are always clear, detailed and concise. Always a pleasure to learn from you!

Yes I'm looking forward to making that Drumeo session. At this moment I don't know exactly which tunes I'll play - but (whatever they are) I'll need to practise them beforehand.

By the way, I feel like I should go ahead and link the new Pineapple Thief live blu-ray trailer for those who haven't seen it because it looks brilliant! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x82LzREafyI

I have worked on the mix of the drums - and I'm very happy how it all came out. It's obviously a lot of pressure to make one performance into a DVD - in Porcupine Tree we usually filmed over two nights and found the better performances across the two nights (mostly from the 2nd night). This time (with The Pineapple Thief) we didn't have that chance.

Hi Clint Hopkins

I have been listening a lot to your playing with Mick Karn and found
this track on his 'Collector's Edition' compilation CD.
What is the story with that intro fill? It sounds like the speed of triplets but I'm not sure.

Wow I had forgotten about that track - and I haven't heard it in 20 years or more. I sure miss Mick and his unique way of playing. I can tell it was from a time where I would play congas and bongos (with my left hand) at the same time as the drums. I seem to remember that the fill was edited in (and was at a deliberately different tempo).

Hi Stevesmithfan

On your Rhythmic Illusion DVD. With your close mic Tom tracks during mix down, did you cut 5-7 db at 350Hz range? Or a different frequency?

Sorry but I can't remember. I would have just EQ'd whatever sounded right to my ears at the time.

Hi Robert Schmidt

actually by accident I stumbled upon the name "Helmo Hairdo Hudson". It was mentioned as your alias for the work on "The Kings Of Oblivion - Big Fish Popcorn" and even KCīs "The Elements". (Source: https://www.discogs.com/de/artist/19...-Hairdo-Hudson) What is the story behind this nickname and why didnīt you keep it? Or is this like your producer alter ego?

It was just a running joke I had with Jakko Jakszyk back in the 80's.

I heard of studio drummers replacing the original drummer of a band only in a recording situation but they werenīt mentioned anywhere on the album. I guess one can call it "ghost drumming". Do you know about this or did you even do (did) ghost drumming jobs (in your past) - so that the record does not appear on your recordings-list?

I have done a bit of that - but I don't make it public knowledge for obvious reasons.

Can you imagine that bands performing these days entirely (or maybe 90%) playback on a big rock show? (Reason: I heard a big popular band on a festival recently and I got the feeling that everything (even the drums, maybe not the cymbals though) was not live...the drummer played primarily e-drums (which would explain the constant + clean sound) but also the time just sounded not like a human to me.)

I don't like to witness bands that appear to have a lot of stuff coming from a backing track.

Cheers from Mexico City !
Gavin
Old 07-17-2017, 11:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Hi Gavin,

What were your 3 main Zildjian crashes you used at Zildjian Day England 2015?
Thanks
Old 07-19-2017, 05:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Stevesmithfan

What were your 3 main Zildjian crashes you used at Zildjian Day England 2015?

I think they were: 19" A thin crash, 17" A thin crash and a 19" K Custom Dark crash.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 08-03-2017, 06:26 PM

Hi Gavin.

glad you confirmed to the drumeo session. I canīt wait for it!

Probably after that you can try this new exercise I came up with (only if you want of course ;)). Itīs heroical called "Pyramid of Cheops" because itīs a big subdivision pyramid.

(Mathematical) background: I found out that playing 5 notes within 2 quarter notes (polyrhythm "5 over 2"; 2/5 = 0.4) is faster than playing 8th notes over a quarter pulse (1/2 = 0.5) but itīs slower than playing triplets (1/3 = 0.33). I never noticed that, wherefore I checked out the speed (see table) of every possible polyrhythm from 1 to 8. Actually there are 20 subdivisions that are faster than quarter notes (1/1 = 1) and slower than 32nd notes (1/8 = 0.125). (And you can get of course slower than quarter notes as well (> 1)). Some of them I found really strange and not really applicable in a musical situation (f.e. 7 over 8). They are marked in red or yellow on the table and are not part of the exercise.

See the attached Notation. You need to play this over ongoing quarter notes. It starts very slow with 2 notes over 7 quarter notes and goes faster from there.

I think this is a phenomenal (and challenging) exercise to start hearing polyrhythm's when listening to a quarter note pulse - so quite applicable. I want to make a video explanation of this soon but I need to practice it some more first.

(PS: Please donīt think that I just want to show you how clever I' am. I simply believe I'm on the right person or at the right place to talk about stuff like that. Certainly canīt talk to my girlfriend about that ;)) So what do you think about that exercise? I havenīt seen or been taught something like that before. Do you?

Greetings Robert
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pyramid_Of_Cheops (1).pdf (735.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 08-18-2017, 05:28 PM

Guys, i just ran into this fill in the intro of "Halo": https://youtu.be/z2etKFqEpYM?t=18s
I searched the thread for the transcription but the links are down.
Someone wrote something about groups of five, but in my ears it's groups of seven, isn't it?
(KSSSS KKTSSST KKTSSST…)
Any advice?
Old 08-21-2017, 05:29 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

HI Robert Schmidt

glad you confirmed to the drumeo session. I canīt wait for it!

filming it tomorrow and then some lessons for the Drumeo members on Tuesday.

Probably after that you can try this new exercise I came up with (only if you want of course ;)). Itīs heroical called "Pyramid of Cheops" because itīs a big subdivision pyramid.

I like it ! I hope you make your video of it.

(PS: Please donīt think that I just want to show you how clever I' am. I simply believe I'm on the right person or at the right place to talk about stuff like that. Certainly canīt talk to my girlfriend about that ;)) So what do you think about that exercise? I havenīt seen or been taught something like that before. Do you?

glad to hear you still have a girlfriend !

Hi smfoo

i just ran into this fill in the intro of "Halo": https://youtu.be/z2etKFqEpYM?t=18s Someone wrote something about groups of five, but in my ears it's groups of seven, isn't it? (KSSSS KKTSSST KKTSSST…)

I think it's acutally a group of six. RLRRL (KK) but the two kicks are double the speed of the hands so they only occupy the same space a one of the hand notes.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-22-2017, 03:15 AM
Gold Member

Hello!

First of all I wanted to thank you very much for keeping up with this forum and answering everyone's questions!

As for my actual question, I realize it's a long shot, but do you remember which snare drum(s) you used while recording Deadwing? I was listening to it today and couldn't get around how good the drum tone on that album is (especially on Start of Something Beautiful).

Also, have you ever considered keeping a blog? I think a lot of people would be interested in what you have to say.

Hope the tour with Pineapple Thief goes well!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 08-22-2017, 03:15 AM

Quote:
glad to hear you still have a girlfriend !
Hahaha

Great lesson today Gavin! Got the Drumeo trial just to see the extra stuff - excited for more! Always a pleasure to learn from you. Breaking down the "In Exile" groove was the highlight for me. Very informative and useful. The "Cheating the Polygraph" material was fantastic too. You nailed it! I was blown away when you nailed the hi-hat fill at 2:19 in the title track. One of my favourite moments on the whole record - so exhilarating.

By the way, what hi-hats did you use? They were beautiful - never seen you use them before.

Hope it was fun!

Also, the new Steven Wilson album is out (it's great!) and once again, you're thanked in the liner notes (near the top of the list, even higher than Stephen Humphries - the guy who wrote the deluxe box edition!). I'm curious, did you have any involvement or give any advice to SW with the album? Here's a picture:

http://imgur.com/kAHm9mv

Cheers,
Quinn

Edit: It seems your Drumeo content won't be uploaded for weeks. Guess I jumped the gun a bit early, oops

Last edited by Lightbulb_Sun; 08-25-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:57 AM

Your Drumeo Session was awesome. You did an amazing job. The songs you played, the things you talked about...great - just as I expected.
I was amazed that you played three songs of Cheating The Polygraph. I got this record and the more I heard it I thought that it must be almost impossible to play these tunes live - the drumming on there was like from outer space to my ears. Well, now you definitely proved me wrong...and some parts are surprisingly easier to play as I would expect when I listened to it. This is really art, Gavin!

By the way: How many courses did you film there and will it take long until theyīre up?

Last edited by Robert Schmidt; 08-29-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:25 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Pass.of.E.r.a.

As for my actual question, I realize it's a long shot, but do you remember which snare drum(s) you used while recording Deadwing? I was listening to it today and couldn't get around how good the drum tone on that album is (especially on Start of Something Beautiful).

I'm sure most of the time I was playing my 1982 Yamaha Recording Custom 14"x5" (this is the drum my Sonor Protean is based upon). I used that Yamaha drum on almost everything until I got the Protean drum - and I've used the Protean ever since.

Also, have you ever considered keeping a blog? I think a lot of people would be interested in what you have to say.

No - I don't honestly think I'm that interesting.

Hi
Lightbulb_Sun

Great lesson today Gavin! Got the Drumeo trial just to see the extra stuff - excited for more! Always a pleasure to learn from you. Breaking down the "In Exile" groove was the highlight for me. Very informative and useful. The "Cheating the Polygraph" material was fantastic too. You nailed it! I was blown away when you nailed the hi-hat fill at 2:19 in the title track. One of my favourite moments on the whole record - so exhilarating.

Glad you enjoyed it. I had a great time there at Drumeo.

By the way, what hi-hats did you use? They were beautiful - never seen you use them before.

The top is an old 1950's K Zildjian and the bottom is a modern Zildjian Constantinople. I'm really enjoying playing them.

Also, the new Steven Wilson album is out (it's great!) and once again, you're thanked in the liner notes (near the top of the list, even higher than Stephen Humphries - the guy who wrote the deluxe box edition!). I'm curious, did you have any involvement or give any advice to SW with the album?

I guess he just likes me :-)

Hi Robert Schmidt

Your Drumeo Session was awesome. You did an amazing job. The songs you played, the things you talked about...great - just as I expected.
I was amazed that you played three songs of Cheating The Polygraph. I got this record and the more I heard it I thought that it must be almost impossible to play these tunes live - the drumming on there was like from outer space to my ears. Well, now you definitely proved me wrong...and some parts are surprisingly easier to play as I would expect when I listened to it. This is really art, Gavin!

They are really hard songs to play. I have also performed Anesthetize a few times.

By the way: How many courses did you film there and will it take long until theyīre up?

The hour live lesson that you saw should be up on YouTube in about 6-8 weeks. Then we also filmed four drum lesson courses + a Q&A session plus a few smaller things. I guess they filmed about 3.5 hours of stuff in total over the two days. I don't exactly know when the Drumeo members stuff will be released.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-01-2017, 04:30 PM

Hey Gavin! Been a fan of yours since I heard PT's "The Incident" in high school, and I think it's cool and humbling that you take time to talk to us "regular guys" on here.

I do have a few questions for you though:

Were you using a Yamaha RC on In Absentia? That's just one of the best drum sounds I think I've heard.

Also, do you recommend thinner or thicker shells in the studio? I brought my thin-shelled kit in the studio last week and my engineer told me to get thicker drums since apparently thinner shells get "sucked into the bass drum" and sound boxy.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2017, 04:00 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi LeftySlammer92

Were you using a Yamaha RC on In Absentia? That's just one of the best drum sounds I think I've heard.

Yes that was the snare drum I used on that record. Interestingly - I've never seen another 14"x 5" only 14 x 5.5"

Also, do you recommend thinner or thicker shells in the studio? I brought my thin-shelled kit in the studio last week and my engineer told me to get thicker drums since apparently thinner shells get "sucked into the bass drum" and sound boxy.

I've not had a problem in studios with thin shell drums. Plus I don't understand what "sucked into the bass drum" means.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 09-07-2017, 02:45 PM

Hi Gavin!

I saw you play with The Pinapple Thief in Dresden yesterday! I enjoyed the concert very much and even the "few" technical difficulties didn't spoil the fun at all and I got the feeling the crowd was very pleased with the show!

The first half I was standing in the front row to get my eyes satisfied.

I did know that you tend to hit the drums very hard, but I wasn't expecting this :-)
Interesting for me to hear the drums mostly un-miced in the front row.

For the second half of the show I went to the audio-sweetspot in the middle of the venue! Great Sound!

I was a Pineapple Thief fan and a fan of all your musical projects as well and the collaboration is really a dream coming true for me.

Now just a little question at the end:

You didn't have your bass-dum filled with a huge pillow this time, am I right? If so, why did you remove it?

I hope you and the band will have a nice continuing tour!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 AM

Hey Gavin, hope all is well! I hope the TPT tour was lots of fun!

I came across this Porcupine Tree interview where SW was discussing Mikeael Akerfeldt's vocals on Deadwing...

Quote:
Mikael was kind of a no-brainer, because I knew Mikael through the Opeth records, you know. He's a good guitar player, he's just amazing and I wanted to have him on the record. And another reason is that because Gavin replaced Chris and Chris was the only other singer in the band, so there's been need to have other vocal textures to join with my vocals to make harmonies. Of course I had Wes and he's been with the band playing live for a few years now and he's been on all the albums since In Absentia doing harmony vocals. And Gavin also sort of did some things on In Absentia as well, but I wanted to use Mikael's voice for Deadwing so that is how that came about.
Can you explain what he meant by "Gavin also sort of did some things on In Absentia"? I'm very interested lol. Did you sing any backing vocals? There are absolutely no credits that confirm this and (as far as I know) you've never sang before in any musical projects you've been involved in! The idea of you singing is kind of funny to me haha

Sorry for the rather obscure non-drumming related question but I came across it and I just needed to know haha

By the way, will you be on the next Pineapple Thief release? Have you discussed it yet? Either way, looking forward to whatever you have planned next!

Cheers,
Quinn
Old 09-23-2017, 12:20 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Christian Beck

I saw you play with The Pineapple Thief in Dresden yesterday! I enjoyed the concert very much and even the "few" technical difficulties didn't spoil the fun at all and I got the feeling the crowd was very pleased with the show!

Glad you enjoyed the show

You didn't have your bass-drum filled with a huge pillow this time, am I right? If so, why did you remove it?

for the last year or so I've been using the KickPro Pillow (up against the batter head) and another small pillow in the middle of the drum.

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

Can you explain what he meant by "Gavin also sort of did some things on In Absentia"? I'm very interested lol. Did you sing any backing vocals? There are absolutely no credits that confirm this and (as far as I know) you've never sang before in any musical projects you've been involved in! The idea of you singing is kind of funny to me haha

I didn't sing backing vocals on any album (yet) so I don't really know what that means.

By the way, will you be on the next Pineapple Thief release? Have you discussed it yet? Either way, looking forward to whatever you have planned next!

Yes we've discussed my involvement on the next Pineapple Thief album and most likely another tour next year - in between my King Crimson commitments.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-29-2017, 06:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Gavin

Have you ever considered going with double bass instead of double pedal? Is your kick straight out? Or angled to the right slightly?
Thanks.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:43 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Stevesmithfan

Have you ever considered going with double bass instead of double pedal? Is your kick straight out? Or angled to the right slightly?

I used to play double bass drums before I got my first double pedal. I always wanted the bass drums to sound the same - but they rarely did. So when the double pedal came along I was sold. Here's a pic of me on my first tour of the States in 1983 !

Name:  Tama drums.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  737.9 KB
I aslo had a double bass drum Gretsch set and then a double bass drum Yamaha set.
Now that I play one bass drum it is not angled out.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Greetings from Gavin to Drummerworld Forum Members......some years ago. The tapes were lost and found again....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMjA...ature=youtu.be
This was a great clinic
A young student asked: Is it not supposed to be 16th notes on the hi hat?
How cool is that!!!!
Bernhard
Old 11-12-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Hi Stevesmithfan

I used to play double bass drums before I got my first double pedal. I always wanted the bass drums to sound the same - but they rarely did. So when the double pedal came along I was sold. Here's a pic of me on my first tour of the States in 1983 !

Attachment 79957
I aslo had a double bass drum Gretsch set and then a double bass drum Yamaha set.
Now that I play one bass drum it is not angled out.

cheers
Gavin
Those look like Superstars if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:18 PM

Hi Gavin, I viewed your lesson on Drumeo. Very informative and inspiring. Thank you.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM

Hi Gavin,

happy new year! How are you doing?

I think I found something interesting: I guess on this forum you mentioned your (past) usage of the cobra clutch together with a dropclutch for playing doublebass with open, closed and half open hihats. I believe you said that you now use a normal clutch because stepped hihats feels more direct.
Therefore and because I feel the same I was trying to invent a clever clutch to fix the problem. But very sadly I was too late. I recently found a product called the Hihat-Razer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM0XgzuyL5E
Itīs quite a nice idea to solve the problem by moving the bottom cymbal (I didnīt thought of that).

So what I want you to do now is get that product, test it and tell us that it works great. ;)
No seriously - did you know of that before? Have you already try it out? I think it could be a nice solution.

All the best and greetings Robert
Old 01-10-2018, 12:07 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Robert Schmidt

I think I found something interesting: I guess on this forum you mentioned your (past) usage of the cobra clutch together with a dropclutch for playing doublebass with open, closed and half open hihats. I recently found a product called the Hihat-Razer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM0XgzuyL5E
Itīs quite a nice idea to solve the problem by moving the bottom cymbal (I didnīt thought of that).

thanks - it looks very interesting and I'd be happy to buy one...but where from? I couldn't find the inventor or his website. Does anyone out there know him?

Happy New Year 2018 !

Gavin
Old 01-10-2018, 12:36 PM

Yes - I have the same problem. Iīm now asking a drummer called Travis Orbin whoīs sponsored by it (this is where I actually found it.) Letīs see what he replies.

Edit: He replies that he couldnīt find him either.^^ He gave me his name (James Sera) and I was able to professionally research the full patent behind this product that is attached here. He patented an awful lot of possibilities to solve the problem! and realized the easiest one that works with a special formed leverage. But I couldnīt find him anywhere. It seems he just dissapeared. Itīs crazy. But at least (in German law) itīs allowed to build the invention for yourself and use it non-commercially. So if no-one can find him, you Gavin and other drummers can at least do this. Or speaking for example with Sonor or Gibrtaltar and they can try to get a license of that patent. Sounds like an idea?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf US020160284328A1_all_pages (1).pdf (685.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Robert Schmidt; 01-17-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:54 AM

Hi Gavin,

I’ve always used an audio interface & computer combo to record my drums but I’m thinking about going with a “no latency” setup, meaning monitoring the drums from an analogue mixing board before sending them to the computer. I think I read earlier in this thread that you were recording this way with a Mackie mixer. Do you still do?

Also, how do you monitor the backing tracks and click track? Do you send the backing tracks from the computer’s interface/converter back to the mixer? Then, how do you add some reverb (monitoring only) to your drums?

Thanks,

Will

Last edited by willregnier; 01-19-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Question was not clear.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:34 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Robert Schmidt

He gave me his name (James Sera) and I was able to professionally research the full patent behind this product that is attached here. He patented an awful lot of possibilities to solve the problem! and realized the easiest one that works with a special formed leverage. But I couldnīt find him anywhere. It seems he just dissapeared. Itīs crazy.

thanks for the info Robert. It's a really interesting idea - I don't know the commercial possibility of it though. I feel it would be a very small market.

Hi willregnier

I’ve always used an audio interface & computer combo to record my drums but I’m thinking about going with a “no latency” setup, meaning monitoring the drums from an analogue mixing board before sending them to the computer. I think I read earlier in this thread that you were recording this way with a Mackie mixer. Do you still do?

Yes I do. I can't listen to the drums being sent to the hard drive and then back to me. Even with the lowest possible latency I can still hear and feel it.

Also, how do you monitor the backing tracks and click track? Do you send the backing tracks from the computer’s interface/converter back to the mixer? Then, how do you add some reverb (monitoring only) to your drums?

The backing track and click are coming into the analog desk and I'm hearing the drums via the analog desk too. The important thing is to measure the round trip latency (and it's different with every soundcard/interface and different again at different sample rates 44.1k, 48k, 96k etc). So you need to measure that and offset it. For example my round trip involves my Apogee converters. From Logic on the computer I take an audio click that is trimmed up to the very first sample and then send it out of the apogees into my analog desk. Then record it back via the analog desk and back into the Apogees. After that I can (in hyper zoom mode) on Logic see how late (in samples) the newly recorded click is. At 48k my system needs a minus -94 samples offset. That means that everything I record to a click will be in exactly the place it was intended. I hope that makes sense.

cheers
Gavin
Old 01-19-2018, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the answer Gavin! I didn't think about measuring the latency of the backing tracks, great tip!

I read that you like hearing your drums with reverb while recording. How do you manage to add reverb to your drums from the desk? Do you use an external reverb unit?

Thanks,

Will
Old 01-19-2018, 06:20 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi willregnier

I read that you like hearing your drums with reverb while recording. How do you manage to add reverb to your drums from the desk? Do you use an external reverb unit?

yes I have an old Yamaha reverb unit connected to the analog desk just for monitoring.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-15-2018, 08:46 AM

Hi Gavin,
how are you?

I got a few questions:
Watching your drumeo session (for the x time) I noticed that in the intro of the first song you turned off the snare at first and turned it on again a few moments later just before the first backbeat occures? Why did you do this - do you want just this one tom fill to be free of snare rattling?

When you record these days - are you using any other snare drums than your two signature ones?

I think you said that when youīre on tour practicing backstage on a pad you get through a lot of your ideas. Is there sort of a defined point when you stop working on one idea and go to the next one - for example when you feel that you can play it well enough?

Thanks a lot and greetings!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Robert Schmidt

I noticed that in the intro of the first song you turned off the snare at first and turned it on again a few moments later just before the first backbeat occures? Why did you do this - do you want just this one tom fill to be free of snare rattling?

Yes it was just a bit cleaner to play those opening tom fills with the snares off. If I had to play a really simple tom melody that was exposed in the arrangement - I'd see if I could play it with the snares off just for that moment - or maybe play the toms with my right hand and put my left hand on the snare drum to really cut down as much sympathetic buzz as possible. When the music is playing you tend not to notice it so much.

When you record these days - are you using any other snare drums than your two signature ones?

Almost never. I can't remember in the last few years when I used any other snare drums. I think the thing is - I'm trying to make a snare sound that sounds like me. I'm really not much of a chameleon session drummer anymore. Maybe I used to be more in the past - but I lost interest in trying to sound like someone else.

I think you said that when youīre on tour practicing backstage on a pad you get through a lot of your ideas. Is there sort of a defined point when you stop working on one idea and go to the next one - for example when you feel that you can play it well enough?

Sure - once I think I have control of it - I'll move onto the next idea. Sometimes the next idea is directly related to the previous - like a kind of natural progression that seems obvious to me.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 AM
Silver Member

Gavin,

Is it true you use S-hoops on your toms as well as your snare? I have a sonor delite set that I'm considering switching the toms from triple flange to s-hoops. Any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks and mad respect,
Todd
Old 03-19-2018, 04:44 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi T_Weaves

Is it true you use S-hoops on your toms as well as your snare? I have a sonor delite set that I'm considering switching the toms from triple flange to s-hoops. Any issues I should be aware of?

Yes I do use them on snare drum as well as (the tops of) the toms. The effect on the snare drum is quite noticeable (with rim shots and cross sticks)- it's more subtle on the toms but I think they make a good difference. They are really well made - make sure you get the correct 'hole' amount. For instance - some older drums (in a 10" size) might have 5 holes, and the more recent models have 6 holes.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hi T_Weaves

Yes I do use them on snare drum as well as (the tops of) the toms. The effect on the snare drum is quite noticeable (with rim shots and cross sticks)- it's more subtle on the toms but I think they make a good difference. They are really well made - make sure you get the correct 'hole' amount. For instance - some older drums (in a 10" size) might have 5 holes, and the more recent models have 6 holes.

cheers
Gavin
Gavin,

Thanks for the reply. I'm an older cat and I've found the s-hoops to be much easier on my hands/wrists than triple flange, or even die cast, when used on snares. I agree with you on the rim shots and cross sticking being better as well. I'll give them a go on the toms too.

Cheers,
Todd