DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Carl Palmer

Hope he is OK, my favorite drummer for a large period in my life. Loved ELP

Last edited by 2bsticks; 01-07-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 06-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

Saw The Carl Palmer band last night in Arlington Ma. They put on a great show and Carl was great. Finally got a chance to meet him. Those Ludwigs are LOUD! Enjoy the solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZYAaE3Xor0

Last edited by 2bsticks; 06-08-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: add link
Old 06-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

holy crap, how do I miss that. I have his signature snare I would have had him sign. damn...

Saw him last year at the Met in Providence.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Although I was totally into Carl from day one. What he is trying to do now if pull off ELP with Emerson. Just a bass and guitar player. Sometimes you knew where they were going, but just quite didn;t seem right, if you know what I mean.

Still powerful and great chops for his age. He was pretty awesome seeing him live many time in his prime back in the day.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyd View Post
holy crap, how do I miss that. I have his signature snare I would have had him sign. damn...

Saw him last year at the Met in Providence.
Just bought one last week,aren't all of his snares supposed to be signed from the factory?
Old 06-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Had lessons from his brother Steve in my first year at uni. His family are from Birmingham, which is just up the road from me. His brother can really play too, very good with latin drumming.

Saw Carl on the Asia reunion in 2006, that was a cool gig. He's the best I've seen live. Reminds me more of a big band drummer than a rock drummer in the way he drives a band.

He was using his Paiste snare when I saw him which sounded amazing. He was also using a Brady Kit as well which was stunning.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Just bought one last week,aren't all of his snares supposed to be signed from the factory?
Yes. There should be a paper tag inside the shell signed by Carl.

Amazing snare. the video of Carl playing it is priceless.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVIC View Post
Yes. There should be a paper tag inside the shell signed by Carl.

Amazing snare. the video of Carl playing it is priceless.
oh I gotta look then.

But, when and if he comes back to Arlington again, I'll have him sign the inside of the shell.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyd View Post
oh I gotta look then.

But, when and if he comes back to Arlington again, I'll have him sign the inside of the shell.
I managed to get a discounted price on the CP snare as most dealers can't advertise for less than Minimum Advertised Price (MAPS)($359).

Cascio had a 20% off flash sale ,so I got it for $287 US shipped.

Free shipping , no sales plus a 20% discount works for me.

As for CP ,did you catch the part about him complaining that Ludwig was shipping the drum using string instead of snare straps?
So much for being true to the artist specs.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablethevoice View Post
I'm rather envious of all you folks who actually met E, L or P. The closest I ever actually got to meeting any of them was in the early 90s when ELP came to Albuquerque for their Black Moon tour. It was the first time I ever saw the guys live (I didn't discover the group till '75 or '76- well after their wave had crested). I was standing in the lobby waiting for the doors to open when a side door- which opened from the lobby to a hallway leading directly back stage- opened up and there stood Carl, taking a look at the size of the group waiting to see the performance. I was maybe 10 feet away and I shouted. "Hey Carl!" He looked at me for a moment and replied, "Hey, how're ya doing?" and disappeared back through the door. That was the extent of my contact with any of the members. Oh, also: Hours before the show actually started, I went into the Convention Center where they were to be playing with the intent of figuring out where I'd be sitting in relation to the stage. I actually didn't expect the doors to the theater to be unlocked, but to my surprise, they were. Much to my delight, ELP were there doing their soundchecks! I sat hiding in plain sight in the darkened theater for maybe 30 minutes before one of the security guys with the band busted me and gently but firmly insisted that I leave until showtime.

Oh, and Delta: Peart did, in an interview I read in Modern Drummer some years ago, unashamedly cite Palmer as one of his influences. I agree that Palmer was/is more than a little sloppy but to me personally, that sloppiness puts a very human sound on his playing which Peart's inhuman perfection lacks. That's why I said Peart's incredible technique can sometimes wear on me. He's so damn perfect that I sometimes have to remind myself that I'm not listening to a well-programmed drum sequencer...

Palmer will always have a special place in my heart because it was Carl, and Carl alone who inspired me to pick up a pair of sticks in the first place. I had seen the likes of the awesome Buddy Rich, Louis Bellson et al throughout my childhood but never considered the possibility of becoming a musician. I was always the nerdy kid with my head in a book, or my hands in the guts of a TV or radio tinkering with some sort of electronic project or gadget. Everything changed when I first sat down at a drumset in a music store (after air-drumming to ELP with a pair of Regal 5B sticks someone gave to me years before) and I literally discovered at that moment that I could actually carry a beat... I could play drums! Soon afterwards, I convinced my folks to co-sign an agreement with a local music store who offered a rent-to-own deal on a beginner's CB700 5 piece. The shells were tissue-paper thin, the hardware was wobbly and rickety, but it was a drum set and it was mine! (at least the cymbals were good; 14" A. Zildjian new beat HH, and one 18" A Zildjian crash/ride) It took less than a year of almost constant practicing before I was in a paying band and for almost 20 years I never looked back.

Black Moon sucked.
What a God awful album.
The drumming could have all been done on a Linn drum.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:41 PM

I personally would call Carl one of my favorite drummers and an influence on me ever since I got into ELP a while back and his drumming particularly stands out more than the other instruments since I find it to be the loudest in the recording. With that being said, I've always loved the sound of his snare drum and to me, it sounds like it's the perfect snare sound you'd want out of it. I don't really know if it's the snare drum he's using (most likely), heads he's using, muffling, or it's all mixed to the point where it sounds better than the Black Moon sound if it's acoustic (totally not a cheesy joke). But anyways, Carl will always remain a favorite of mine.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

An amazing drummer, but his playing doesn't always speak to me and my finicky tastes. One track that fully speaks to me, and always did, even before I had a real drumming conscious, is Lucky Man. Heard it on the radio today and it still gives me that buzz, that buzz that the yummiest drumming gives me. Great stuff, thanks for listening and letting me have someone to share these feelings with.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:53 PM

made a joke about taking a Carl Palmer steel kit to a gig up a flight of stairs, and fell into a wormhole. The thing weighed 2 1/2 tons, lol. "it was the 70s"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P19BpRijJD4
Old 12-09-2017, 09:35 PM

I saw EL&P in Dallas. Had a floor seat fairly close. The highlight of the show for me was Palmer's solo. He had a series of gongs hanging high around a big kit. He drums awhile then for the finale, he stands with two mallets and begins hitting all these gongs. Drum riser begins to rotate faster and faster, as he's hitting the gongs faster with the rotation. Then a strobe light kicks in. The riser was hauling ass at the crescendo with Palmer in the middle if it all furiously smashing the hanging gongs. i have no idea how he kept his balance, I would have been hurling.

Last edited by Tone Laborer; 02-12-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Such a big influence on me and my early days I went out and bought a 48" gong. Took it everyplace I played. Love ELP.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

I remember in 1973 or '74 watching ELP live on Midnight Special at a high school marching band member party. Us drummers were in awe. He was great with ELP.