DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Jim Gordon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0cE0XU9js
Old 06-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Gold Member

Love this one, love how he so nonchalantly flips from match to trad to start off the tune and just comes in so perfect.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
Love this one, love how he so nonchalantly flips from match to trad to start off the tune and just comes in so perfect.
That was really subtle, good eye!
Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Gold Member

These Layla Sessions' jams are pretty fun. Seems like they're feeling no pain. Love when Jim goes big!

https://youtu.be/0v7hPFUIZRo
Old 07-29-2017, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
These Layla Sessions' jams are pretty fun. Seems like they're feeling no pain. Love when Jim goes big!

https://youtu.be/0v7hPFUIZRo
Good stuff. Here's the whole recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_HmIg6V4M

The sense of time and rhythm going on with him is ridiculous.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Gold Member

Threw on some live Delaney and Bonnie and Friends yesterday and was reminded just how freaking amazing an in control of whatever band he was playing with Jim is. He is one of those drummers like Buddy or Vinnie that no matter how many times I go back to listen and reevaluate, Im reminded that yes, they are really that good, untouchable. Jims playing to me is pure magic, that genius level that teters on (and unfortunately delves into) insanity. There is a fine line they say. But....Im just all about his playing. For me, its like every note hits that sweet spot. Not just the sweet spot physically on the drum/cymbal, deriving the perfect tone for each musical opportunity, but the sweet spot in terms of time and choice. No other drummer hits me the way Jim does. Not only delights me upon listening but actually inspires me to post a comment like this out of the blue, for no reason, unrequested, unrequired lol. But wow, certain people have given me so much joy in my life just by doing their job. Could never thank Vinnie or Jim enough.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Threw on some live Delaney and Bonnie and Friends yesterday and was reminded just how freaking amazing an in control of whatever band he was playing with Jim is. He is one of those drummers like Buddy or Vinnie that no matter how many times I go back to listen and reevaluate, Im reminded that yes, they are really that good, untouchable. Jims playing to me is pure magic, that genius level that teters on (and unfortunately delves into) insanity. There is a fine line they say. But....Im just all about his playing. For me, its like every note hits that sweet spot. Not just the sweet spot physically on the drum/cymbal, deriving the perfect tone for each musical opportunity, but the sweet spot in terms of time and choice. No other drummer hits me the way Jim does. Not only delights me upon listening but actually inspires me to post a comment like this out of the blue, for no reason, unrequested, unrequired lol. But wow, certain people have given me so much joy in my life just by doing their job. Could never thank Vinnie or Jim enough.
Jeff Porcaro absolutely concurred those sentiments-- I watched a YT video from a clinic where he stated the Best drummer out there was Jim Gordon. Quite the accolade coming from Jeff.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Take another look....

;)

(He is holding the stick traditional, but "backwards" and knuckles down on his thigh. He flips his hand over without changing grip to start the snare part...)
Old 01-30-2018, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Yes I recall seeing that Jeff Porcaro vid and felt a bit vindicated. Ok its not just me, this guy is from another planet good lol.

Great eye on the stick flipgate issue. On another watch i noticed a guy standing on a grassy knoll handing him a stick, hard to be sure.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yes I recall seeing that Jeff Porcaro vid and felt a bit vindicated. Ok its not just me, this guy is from another planet good lol.

Great eye on the stick flipgate issue. On another watch i noticed a guy standing on a grassy knoll handing him a stick, hard to be sure.
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE....

lol
Old 07-04-2018, 01:02 AM
Gold Member

Threw in my Zappa Hot Rats/Grand Wazoo discs today and man theres some tasty Jim on there. Zappa sometimes takes me a few listens, and this one just keeps getting better. Good old Jim, needed some of his magic today!