getting rid of wash from cymbals

ancatdubh

hey everyone,
ive always wanted a ride cymbal that has a sticky sound but not too much wash. could anyone help me?

can you give more details on what your looking for?
what styles of music you play.

cymbals described as "dry" have a lot of definition, as do a lot of heavier weighted cymbals.

if your into a certain brand, check out their website. most have a lot of info on all their products. descriptions, sound files,all that stuff.

hope this helps.

If you don't want to buy a new ride you could put small pieces of tape on the back of the ride. The more tape you put the more dry it will be.

hey everyone,
ive always wanted a ride cymbal that has a sticky sound but not too much wash. could anyone help me?

Failing all the above suggestions - for dry with little wash, check out a flat ride. Or look into heavier, possibly unlathed cymbals. Look for smaller bells on cymbals.

Before you do anything, have someone play your drums with your band and stand 20 feet out front. See if the "wash" is still a problem. If you get rid of all of the overtones you will kill the cymbal in the mix.

I'm with harryconway. All ping, no wash = Earth Ride!

When I wanted ping and no overtones I had an Earth Ride and I loved it! Now I've mellowed a little I have a K Custom Ride which is similar but a little warmer to my ear (still very little overtones though).

Depending on how much 'ping' and how little wash you want, I would start with either of those. You could also consider the Z Customs.

As some have said, the Zildjian website has some good sound samples that might help.

A lot of these can be found on eBay for good prices if you don't want to buy new.

I use a K Custom Dry for most stuff. It can be used for quiet jazz or heavy metal (AWESOME BELL, FTW!!) and everything in between. You have to REALLY lay into it to make it wash.

Duct tape is a valid way to chill out a cymbal, too! Just understand duct tape is pressure sensitive and you might have to deal with residue if you press too hard.

I've got a 22" Spizzichino that can get a bit washy at times if played at higher volumes. First, I tried experimenting with some thinner, lighter sticks (because I love the sound of this cymbal).

Then, I tried a piece of Moongel. It worked nicely. You can move the gel from the bell to the edge to adjust the amount of wash. If it dampens the cymbal too much, cut the piece in half. It won't fall off, and it won't leave a residue on your cymbal. You can easily pick it up and move it around.

It doesn't have to be Moongel. There are probably other products of the same material.

If that doesn't help you get the sound you're looking for, you may want to try a different cymbal.

ddd

I agree a flat ride is a superb choice if you want good stick definition and hardly any wash, I used a Zildian 22 inch I borrowed from a friend and really loved the sound for blues, infact you can hear it in -leave my girl alone- and many of the numbers recorded live if you follow the link in my signature...That was a dream of a cymbal, I dont play much blues now, I do work for three bands at the moment, rnb and soul, 70s rock cover band and a reggae outfit. So I dont need one just yet, but next month I want to go drum stuff shopping and who knows eh!

Back