sound proof booth

spydrummer

as a part of me being allowed to get a kit, i have to make a sound proof room/booth, and i was wondering how many others have had to do the same thing? i,m also chasing ideas on what materials and designs to use
with thanks
ian

I've not made a "sound proof" rather sound controlled room. I didn't go as nuts with the techniques as I could have, I used 5/8" drywall/gypsum board on both sides of the wall, roxul mineral wool insulation in the walls and ceiling, hush board in the ceiling, solid wood door. I didn't need to totally kill the sound getting out, if I did I probably would have gone with a staggered 2x4 stud pattern with resilient chanel along with the mineral wool insulation. I've got about a $1000 wrapped up in just what I did.

Here's some reading material for you. Building a room can get expensive!

http://www.acoustics101.com/

I have my drums in my room, its a carpeted room but i found some other carpet pieces and put those up against my wall and that seems to help. but my church also has bad acoustics so if we built a wall that is just 2'x4' and rug, its about five feet tall and works great. that might work if you put foam on the inside (closer to your drums) of the wall.

I'm afraid it's not just a case of egg boxes on the wall to sort out sound leakage problems, it's a time consuming and expensive affair and you have to get it just right otherwise you might as well have not bothered. If you're just getting your first kit then maybe you should just get an electronic kit instead to reduce noise? At least for the first few years, you've got to be sure you like doing drumming before laying some serious dough down on stuff like soundproofing.

I'm afraid it's not just a case of egg boxes on the wall to sort out sound leakage problems, it's a time consuming and expensive affair and you have to get it just right otherwise you might as well have not bothered. If you're just getting your first kit then maybe you should just get an electronic kit instead to reduce noise? At least for the first few years, you've got to be sure you like doing drumming before laying some serious dough down on stuff like soundproofing.

yep that's why I suggested the auralex site.

Egg cartons, carpet, padding, blankets, foam only control the reverb in the room and do not stop sound transmission outside the room

I could go on and on about what most people call sound proofing. The first and most vital step to keep sound contained or unwelcome sound out is location. Along with location is space between the sound and where you're trying to keep it from entering. After all that is determined, construction takes place with things such as floating floors so sound doesn't transfer from one location to the other. This will also include the room within a room principle. There is a lot that can be done if you have the space and money to put into such a project, anything else such as room treatments are usually just "band aids" if you're trying to actually sound proof an already built room such as a bedroom. Sonex, Auralex or Markerfoam are really materials to fine tune the frequency response of a room, or in some cases control some forms of echo in a not so well thought out construction, not to sound proof it.

Dennis

+1 on the room within a room and floating floors, that's the real way to soundproof. Costly, but it's the right way to do it.

+1 on the room within a room and floating floors, that's the real way to soundproof. Costly, but it's the right way to do it.

When people refer to floating floors does it mean building a new floor on top of the original floor raised slightly via struts or something to prevent sound traveling through the floor?

Yes, you need an airspace between the 2 walls and the 2 floors. 1" should do it, air is an insulator. Naturally you have to have some contact between both floors but if the support struts are rubber gasketed, that should negate most of the vibrations trying to pass through.

thanks, to everyone that replied. i might not need a totally soundproof room but, more a controlled room. it does need to be placed in a certain part of my house , and removed when i sell. so again thanks for your input, i now have some ideas and when i can do it i,ll post some pics
thanks
ian

Back