Grover snares

drumon

Hi

I have a set of Grover wound snares, I used to use them on a steel snare drum, sounded good. I'm now putting them on a deeper wooden drum. I like the dark sound, but found that I had to have the tension set pretty high to get them to co-operate with the drum.

They are so tight it makes the snare strainer, feel pretty, .... well .... STRAINED, when using the lever (old Rogers mech.) . Is that in keeping with your experiences?

I know I used to use them, but that was ten years ago and cant remember how tight I had to set them.

Let me know how you got on with them.

Cheers

The grover snare system supposedly is a good snare wire--I haven't had much success with them but I'd like to hear opinions from various other drummers in their experience using them.

Any thoughts?

Karl

I've only ever used them for a concert percussion setting, and we used that drum right next to $1000 concert snares, so I'm assuming thats what it was meant for. If so, the wires are tight because in a concert setting, the snares have to be tight to give a super-articulated sound with a lot of sensitivity.
It was an amazing snare though, we swapped out the heads and loosened the wires a bit and used it on set a couple times, the Grover Snare strainer in itself is pretty amazing.
Hope that helps!

Back