Marching sticks?

it will help your muscles because they are a heavier stick when u use drum set sticks your be better

I practice my rudiments with just about every type of stick I have in my bag. From 7A's through to 5A's/5B's through to 3A's or 2B's.....and from time to time, I break out the marching sticks for a giggle.

I've never noticed any detrimental effects from using tree trunks....but that said, I'm not sold on the fact that they help any more than any other stick I use either. My hands play the rudiments...not my sticks. But at the same time, I like that I can go from one stick to another with no discomfort and only a little adjustment period too.

Just further on jakesters comment "it will help your muscles because they are a heavier stick when u use drum set sticks your be better". Whilst I think there is an element of truth in this......personally I've found that the heavier stick also promotes more rebound (especially off a pad) and this somewhat negates how hard you're actually working your muscles. When I want to blaze away and get some muscle "burn"....I'll often opt for a smaller lighter stick to do it with. YMMV, but something to think about.

Pocket's right on, you get better rebound with the heavier stick with larger tip, but other than that it's pretty much the same as using any smaller sticks. Every now and again I'll grab an old pair of marching sticks and woodshed some rudiments/rolls for a little while, just to be disgusted with how much worse my hands are now vs. when I was younger :)

Back